Rocket Salad

In the news thread.

Hasn't been awarded yet, and obviously the mags will fight it.  I just see the crap they publish on the covers...... and every story is from a source "close to the couple/individual" etc, and have wondered for years why someone hasn't taken them to task. I'm not necessarily a big fan of Rebel as such; she was funny in the first pitch perfect, but otherwise she's just ok. I guess most people couldn't be bothered with what she did here, but good on her for standing up to the crap they print.

Better she gets it than someone like Schapelle or her sister.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 3

I don't want to derail the iron century thread again, however there was some discussion there about the charities and their less reporting standards.  The case in NSW at present gives you an understanding of how easy it is to rort the system so your donations go nowhere near the intended recipients:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/ceo-eman-sharobeem-claimed-sons-liposuction-34000-in-traffic-fines-as-work-expenses/news-story/e2aaa0043813c3a8bd4a5da5bb2c2c49

20 hours ago, goughy said:

Rebel Wilson win her case today against the mags. The reason I'm interested, is because the mags do write crap and print false stories week after week after week. Regardless of who stood up to them, it's just nice to see someone have a go.

I often wondered how long her career would have last. She was type cast as the token 'funny fat chick' in nearly every role.

I reckon she got lucky with what ever she wins.....but having said that I hope the tabloids have to pay big time. About time they are made accountable for the lies and dribble they produce.

And who buys that rubbish anyway? 

• Like 1

Someone must!  Buggers me who they are though - doctors and dentist surgeries I guess?

Aus has a max defamation payout of 380k plus costs.  But if you can prove you lost a job or contract/employment because of said defamation then they can award the costs up to the value of those contracts.  So if she's proven she was dumped from the two movies because of the articles she could get in the millions.

On 14 June 2017 at 1:10 PM, goughy said:

Nasty looking fire in an apartment block in London.....

My third cousin, Deborah, lived in Grenfell Tower and is missing.

I have sat here with such sadness watching from the other side of the world, these absolutely gut wrenching events.  Thinking what those stuck inside could have thought and experienced as it happened around them; the decisions, their memories, their regrets.

Now, it is just that little bit closer to home.  I prey, that you are somewhere in hospital and will be found soon and reunited with all your loved one. 

Edited by skel

Just watched the start of the Wallabies v Scotland. During the national anthem some of players were shaking their legs , one of the referees turnaround to look at something..... And before the national anthem finish the captain broke away and the rest followed. So disrespectful. 

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Just watched the start of the Wallabies v Scotland. During the national anthem some of players were shaking their legs , one of the referees turnaround to look at something..... And before the national anthem finish the captain broke away and the rest followed. So disrespectful. 

That was awesome, don't beat australia often

5 hours ago, skel said:

My third cousin, Deborah, lived in Grenfell Tower and is missing.

I have sat here with such sadness watching from the other side of the world, these absolutely gut wrenching events.  Thinking what those stuck inside could have thought and experienced as it happened around them; the decisions, their memories, their regrets.

Now, it is just that little bit closer to home.  I prey, that you are somewhere in hospital and will be found soon and reunited with all your loved one. 

Thinking of you and your family Skel. 

• Like 2

If Rebel Wilson gets any money, and does with it what she says she will, her stocks will go up mightily with me!

If Bauer Media had any brains, they would be seeking to settle out of court for the amount and pay it directly to the charities so they at least get a tax write off.  At least then they might have some small grain to start to build public relations on again

• Like 1

Merry Eid day to everyone. Or whatever they say.

Sam Dastyari was filmed outside Lakemba mosque today repeatedly saying 'it doesn't get any more Aussie than this'.

Rightyo then Sam. If Muslims celebrating outside a mosque that has Wahabi influenced dogma dripping from it is the epitome of Aussieness I think our country is gonski 2.0.  

On the bright side with the end of Ramadan, The chance of terrorism occurring has dropped by half. Should be just 50 people dying from terrorism a day globally now, 50% off markdown. 

Iyi bayramlar is the Turkish translation of wishing happy holidays / edi - hope this helps.

1 hour ago, surfer101 said:

Pell is making the headlines this morning

Yup, charged with child sexual abuse.  Many more to go if they are still alive.

Not really in the news, but figured posting he was best. I believe tonights Foreign Correspondence on ABC will cover the ABC reporter who was recently shot in the neck. They showed a little on the ABC this morning, including how he was going in for an x-ray cause he thought he caught a little shrapnel in his neck, and the moment he sees the x-ray and realised it was a bullet. To see him just wandering around with a bullet in his neck...

On 6/14/2017 at 6:48 PM, XCOM! said:

Building codes & material standards are supposed to contain and prevent the vertical spread of fire in high-rise constructions, because this phenomena is such a well-known risk.

However, the use of cheap sub-standard materials and the brazen flouting of construction codes by developers, has seen an increase in these incidents around the world. It's been happening too often in China.

I know that the high-rise where I live, the body-corporate had to take the developer to court in order to get glaring deficiencies in the inter-floor fire-damping corrected, despite the fact that the original implementation was obviously illegal even to a cursory inspection.

Knowing what I do now, there are a lot of new high-rises in Sydney and Melbourne that I'd be leery about.

I watched the 4 Corners episode last night on the combustible panels. It's not a good feeling when they keep showing the building you work in as they talk about "death traps". 

Maybe I should work from home more often.

I saw a little of it at morning tea. Yeah, it wouldn't give you a good feeling having seen what they can become. How that stuff can happen makes you wonder. Just cost cutting? Cutting corners? Greasing pockets?

Watched it too.  Very scary.  Hard for me to watch Grenfell Towers footage.  I had a third cousin who passed away.  She lived in in the 14th floor.  Her coronial inquest opened a few weeks ago, and like so many others, her 'DNA' was located on the 23rd floor. There were three victims whose inquests also opened on the same day, all located on the 23rd floor.  I cannot fathom that absolute horror for those huddled together and being in that situation. I have been so nervous when staying very, very high rise accomodation in BNE over the past month. 

On 6/22/2017 at 0:30 PM, goughy said:

If Rebel Wilson gets any money, and does with it what she says she will, her stocks will go up mightily with me!

Well, let's see what she can do with $4.5M

I hope I'm not wrong, but I reckon she'll do what she said she will with it. 

Maybe they should have settled for the 200k she wanted before the case.

52 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Well, let's see what she can do with $4.5M

instead of donating to charity, perhaps she can use it to buy some Talent or Acting Lessons. 

Just now, Prince said:

instead of donating to charity, perhaps she can use it to buy some Talent or Acting Lessons. 

😂😂😂

You cannot buy talent but you can buy acting lessons

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

😂😂😂

You cannot buy talent but you can buy acting lessons

Richard Gere bought some talent in Pretty Woman. :dribble:

• Like 1

Saw overnight Korn Ferry (A company that speciliases in employment studies) has released their findings into the gender pay gaps around the world.  This will be interesting to see how WGEA and the like respond:

"For years we’ve read bold headlines about the gender pay gap, reporting that around the world men are paid an average of 20% more than women.

Our research confirm this gap but also shows that when compared “like for like”, the gender pay gap reduces to 1.6%. Put simply, a man and a woman doing the same job in the same function and company, get paid almost exactly the same.

But one thing remains true: as a demographic group, women get paid less than men."

Then they simply push the focus to getting women the same job and the same function.

I don't know about any of you folk out there, but when I interview people for a position, I pick the best. I don't pick the best male. Why is there such a disparity? Is it simply a legacy that is gradually changing, or are there still people out there that pick "the best man for the job"?

I think those statistics are weighted by the fact that jobs generally regarded as female work are less well remunerated. 

So while male and female nurses, primary school teachers and child care workers are paid the same, they are generally "underpaid" and predominantly females so this influences the data. 

Labourers in construction can be very well paid with no qualifications at all, yet are predominantly male. 

I agree Roxii, from working in rem for coming up to 20 years the results of the survey are pretty much what I see all the time.  Mat leave used to leave a gap, but my managers know I'll be on their back if they don't give them budgeted increases to stop any gap forming.

If we paid childcare workers, aged care workers and nurses what they are worth, the overall 20% would be significantly reduced overnight

• Like 1

Having completed and signed off on a few of the surveys that businesses are required to do, the broad categorisations used which capture a multitude of roles across various disciplines skew the results.  As others have said, I have never seen an example of pay disparity on a gender basis in a like for like role. I should add that these are all professional/technical roles.

8 hours ago, truck said:

As others have said, I have never seen an example of pay disparity on a gender basis in a like for like role.

What about the new Aus Post boss?

Option 1: They overpaid the last boss, so the new boss cops a pay cut.

Option 2: The last boss was a bloke and the new boss is a woman so they pay her less

You'd hope it's option 1, but how you know it isn't 2?

(Not specifically directed at truck or anyone, just musing)

• Like 1

On 13/09/2017 at 12:35 PM, goughy said:

I hope I'm not wrong, but I reckon she'll do what she said she will with it. 

Maybe they should have settled for the 200k she wanted before the case.

After legal fees, that's probably all Rebel Wilson will get now after the appeal. $600k is the final amount. They set aside the $3.9M for the economic losses she said she incurred by missing out on roles. Maybe it was her acting that caused her to miss out on the roles.

Just read that Thai authorities are reporting one of the Navy seals three to rescue the boys has died from lack of oxygen! :(

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, goughy said:

Just read that Thai authorities are reporting one of the Navy seals three to rescue the boys has died from lack of oxygen! :(

Yes and he was a Triathlete also. 

20 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Is anyone on here able to explain how the Serena Williams cartoon is being viewed as racist?

Nope! 

22 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Is anyone on here able to explain how the Serena Williams cartoon is being viewed as racist?

Depending on the context of the viewer, yes I can see how it would easily be construed as racist.  Caricaturists deliberately accentuate features and characteristics as part of their art and when those are viewed as being aimed at her race rather than her personal appearance there's no doubt that it could be seen to be racist.  Of course if you wish to be offended it's very easy to find something to be offended at in almost anything regardless of your background.

Personally I think one of the more racist aspects of the cartoon is the depiction of her opponent Naomi Osaka as a light skinned blonde girl.

Just now, Stikman said:

Caricaturists deliberately accentuate features and characteristics as part of their art and when those are viewed as being aimed at her race rather than her personal appearance there's no doubt that it could be seen to be racist.  

Can you disassociate her race from here appearance and still represent it as Serena?? 

On the ABC this morning, they were saying the depiction of her facial features was similar to those used by a cartoonist in the 1920's or something that are considered racist.

I can't comment further than that, other than to say that the rest of it certainly seems to hit the nail on the head.

51 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Of course if you wish to be offended it's very easy to find something to be offended at in almost anything regardless of your background.

This...

Ay, there's the rub.  Serena's most notable features bear some similarity to the caricatures that I grew up seeing in Cole's Funny Picture Book designed to depict black people as ignorant, lazy savages.  If you view it in that context then interpreting it as racist requires no giant leap, if you remove the context it simply looks like Serena acting like a spoiled child.  The viewpoint of the receiver is more important than the image/article/statement in subjective assessments like this.

Do I think it's a racist depiction of Serena?  Not especially but I'm capable of seeing why it might be considered so.  Did Mark Knight intend it to be racist?  Only he would know.  Similarly is the reprinting of the cartoon on the front page of the paper an attempt to fight back against censorship and unbridled political correctness or an attempt to cash in on the notoriety?  Both could be true at once if the Herald Sun and Mark have different ideas.  Welcome to pluralism.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, roxii said:

Can you disassociate her race from here appearance and still represent it as Serena?? 

Good question. I note that Nicky Minaj was very vocal in her criticism. So I wonder how a Cartoonist would draw a caricature of her without causing offense?  

23 hours ago, Stikman said:

Personally I think one of the more racist aspects of the cartoon is the depiction of her opponent Naomi Osaka as a light skinned blonde girl.

Doesn't she have a blonde ponytail?