Rocket Salad

In the news thread.

And anyone who thinks her post was poorly timed are incredibly naive. She timed it perfectly to press the right buttons, gain herself more notoriety and then sit back and feel sorry for herself because everyone's picking on her.

• Like 3

Well, there poorly timed and poorly timed. It may have been poorly timed for us, but not poorly timed for her. But it could end up poorly timed for everyone yet I guess.

5 hours ago, TryTriB4Forty said:

Again, having said THAT, the right wing media have just as much right to call her out for saying something they think is stupid. People are free to say stupid stuff, and other people are free to call them out and say its stupid.....

Unless the person saying stupid stuff is a certain left leaning commentator with Fairfax and the ABC, in which case using #killallmen is okay and if you dare criticise that person you deserve to lose your job, or be publicly outed as sexist, or be made fun of publicly due to your disabilities.  But let's not let that deflect from the current conversation, even though that same person is leading the defence of Yasmin in the name of the sisterhood because it's only white redneck, beer swilling, wolf-whistling males that could possibly find Yasmin's comments offensive....

You're right, it can't be taken both ways, both extremes need to wake up to that fact and pull their heads in.  

.... and whilst on the topic of freedom of speech 

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/anthony-mundine-says-its-ok-to-beat-women-as-long-as-you-dont-cause-injury/news-story/382ff419cd4b0d3c5c65497e689f8d97

.... but I don't think anyone can condone what he's spouting. I think he's taken too many hits to the head!

6 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Unless the person saying stupid stuff is a certain left leaning commentator with Fairfax and the ABC, in which case using #killallmen is okay and if you dare criticise that person you deserve to lose your job, or be publicly outed as sexist, or be made fun of publicly due to your disabilities.  But let's not let that deflect from the current conversation, even though that same person is leading the defence of Yasmin in the name of the sisterhood because it's only white redneck, beer swilling, wolf-whistling males that could possibly find Yasmin's comments offensive....

You're right, it can't be taken both ways, both extremes need to wake up to that fact and pull their heads in.  

Yassmin Abdel-Magied said:

“Lest. We. Forget. (Manus, Nauru, Syria, Palestine …)

I interpreted it as Let's not forget the sacrifices of our past soldiers but remember there are still people suffering due to war around the World.

What are people finding so offensive? I thought her way of thinking was very current and compassionate.

That's exactly how I took it too TC. I still would have suggested she not say it On Anzac Day, particularly with the Lest We Forget. She could have said Let's not forget about etc, and I think less people would be infuriated. And don't forget there is a very vocal group of people out there ready to jump on anyone, particularly if the don't look "Australian" to them (they forget that we are a young country with a tonne of people, probably even them, who are only one or two generations Australian if that).

10 hours ago, Rimmer said:

.... and whilst on the topic of freedom of speech 

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/anthony-mundine-says-its-ok-to-beat-women-as-long-as-you-dont-cause-injury/news-story/382ff419cd4b0d3c5c65497e689f8d97

.... but I don't think anyone can condone what he's spouting. I think he's taken too many hits to the head!

I thought the same thing when I saw the headline. The actual content is a lot different. Whilst I still think the guy is a bit of a dick, the interview was basically an ambush on this point, and the written story is a beat up.

Nothing more than a narcissistic headline grabber - a Kardashian with an agenda - move on.

20 hours ago, The Customer said:

Yassmin Abdel-Magied said:

“Lest. We. Forget. (Manus, Nauru, Syria, Palestine …)

I interpreted it as Let's not forget the sacrifices of our past soldiers but remember there are still people suffering due to war around the World.

What are people finding so offensive? I thought her way of thinking was very current and compassionate.

Let's see, short version:

Less than 6 months after publicly backing sharia law being introduced to our society (as you are not here at the moment, look at her comments on Q&A through google, you'll get the idea), she then goes and pulls this stunt to highlight the "suffering of these people", most of whom are fleeing countries with, you guess it, some form of sharia law, and then does it on ANZAC day

Let's see if you can connect the dots why people might have had enough of her publicly funded crap...

What I find strange about the whole thing of religion is that seemingly intelligent people believe in imaginary friends. When you ask them to explain this .... they often can't.

Jews, Muslims, Christians, Catholics, Buddhists etc etc .... my stance is that, if it makes you feel better, do whatever you want. I have better things to be thinking about and doing on a Sunday! 

4 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Less than 6 months after publicly backing sharia law being introduced to our society (as you are not here at the moment, look at her comments on Q&A through google, you'll get the idea), she then goes and pulls this stunt to highlight the "suffering of these people", most of whom are fleeing countries with, you guess it, some form of sharia law, and then does it on ANZAC day

Let's see if you can connect the dots why people might have had enough of her publicly funded crap...

Can I just point out that our model for dishing out justice in Aus is also based on Biblical Law eg. An eye for an eye etc. You take a life, your life gets taken from you (in prison). You rape and they all cry out for chemical castration. Sharia Law in SOME countries, such as Saudi, takes it way too literally eg. you steal out of greed, they take your hand. I don't support any kind of corporal punishment but when some low-life commits an heinous act, plenty of Aussies would wish that person serious physical harm. I just find the whole intolerance of some ways of living over others incredibly hypocritical.

11 hours ago, Rimmer said:

What I find strange about the whole thing of religion is that seemingly intelligent people believe in imaginary friends. When you ask them to explain this .... they often can't.

To paraphrase Douglas Adams... God exists through faith (belief in the absence of proof) and so any proof of existence would obviate the need for faith, thus resulting in the non-existence of God.

13 hours ago, Rimmer said:

What I find strange about the whole thing of religion is that seemingly intelligent people believe in imaginary friends. 

It's not that hard to believe in them when you have voices talking to you all the time!

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:11 PM, Rimmer said:

I think we've had this discussion on another thread (most likely the Cardinal Pell thread...)

I always ask religious people a question - I think I stole it from Hitchens or Dawkins or someone...

If you walked into a village with 100 children starving to death, and you had the means to provide food/water/help, would you do it? Of course everyone would, wouldn't they?

Then why does God not help?  If there is a being of un-ending power, then he either looks upon starving children and can't help (so he's not God) or he can't be bothered to help (from some reason.... maybe 'giving us a lesson' or something...?)

What sort of sicko would have the power to help starving children, but choose not to?   Do you really want to get your morals and life lessons from someone like that?

Quite frankly, if that is the view of your god then he (or she) is NOT the sort of person I want to associate with, let alone praise as the almighty.

(in similar arguments ... he's the guy that gives kids brain cancer?  .... what a top notch bloke!).

• Like 2

Thanks goodness I'm being refunded my Gofundme donation for Rappstar, now I can use it to support that poor innocent girl in Colombia who thought she was importing 6kg's of headphones!!! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TryTriB4Forty said:

what a top notch bloke!).

Hey, Alanis Morrisette played God in Dogma and was pretty bloody convincing, what's this crap of blaming all this on a bloke?

Just cause some believe she sent her son....

Outing myself here a bit I guess :o ............. my wife sometimes asks me this.  I was raised catholic and clearly made my own choices etc.  Strangely enough I always did really well in religion at school.  I actually have no idea what I believe when it comes to religion, I'm still in some grey middle ground....... I won't say it's confusing as such.  But I am completely 120% with science and evolution, but still have this thing in my head I can't justify!  And what you've said there ttb440 is one of the main reasons why........... I don't know if there's a heaven or hell, but I kinda hope there's more to all this than just this.  But if there is a god there I'd love to have a chat and find out why they are such a sick ****!

Edited by goughy

8 minutes ago, roxii said:

Thanks goodness I'm being refunded my Gofundme donation for Rappstar, now I can use it to support that poor innocent girl in Colombia who thought she was importing 6kg's of headphones!!! 

My refund is going to fight wrongful PED convictions among pro sportsman. 

32 minutes ago, goughy said:

Outing myself here a bit I guess :o ............. my wife sometimes asks me this.  I was raised catholic and clearly made my own choices etc.  Strangely enough I always did really well in religion at school.  I actually have no idea what I believe when it comes to religion, I'm still in some grey middle ground....... I won't say it's confusing as such.  But I am completely 120% with science and evolution, but still have this thing in my head I can't justify!  And what you've said there ttb440 is one of the main reasons why........... I don't know if there's a heaven or hell, but I kinda hope there's more to all this than just this.  But if there is a god there I'd love to have a chat and find out why they are such a sick ****!

Probably similar background Goughy.  Raise in strict catholic family (weekly church services etc), my dad (builder) gave countless years of service doing additions and repairs to the local church, catholicschool from Kindy to Year 12, I was once an alter boy (avoided being raped),  wife has Masters in Theology and teaches RE as part of her job as a teacher  .... its not like I haven't been exposed to it, or don't understand it etc.

I guess as I got old I stopped believing in all the nonsense. 

When you think about it God has the best job in the world..... if something good happens then he gets praised all over the place - apparently he's responsible for everything from Academy Awards to sporting achievements to giving people food to eat and nice weather etc .....

BUT, if anything bad should happened (you know, disease, starvation, murder  etc) then there is always someone willing to stand up and say God is not responsible (its a test, its a warning, people have free will .... of the good old classic, 'God works in mysterious ways')

I would love to sit in on Gods end of year work appraisal:

"Well, God..... you've done lots of good stuff......... and a heap of bad stuff happened as well but we can just sweep all that under the carpet ..... final appraisal score  10/10, no suggestions for improvement"

Quite frankly, if God exists then he's an asshole....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TryTriB4Forty said:

"Well, God..... you've done lots of good stuff......... and a heap of bad stuff happened as well but we can just sweep all that under the carpet ..... final appraisal score  10/10, no suggestions for improvement"..

Pretty much the same appraisal that many Catholics give to their church in light of systemic child rape.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stikman said:

Pretty much the same appraisal that many Catholics give to their church in light of systemic child rape.

Sadly, this is true. And not just in the catholic church.

Only last month a senior Anglican Church Minister stood down (unsure of his exact title or rank, but he was very senior in the Hunter).  I heard a direct interview (ie words from his own mouth - not interpretation of what he meant) where he said that despite his senior position with the church, he did not feel he could act any further on child abuse because many people in the clergy and across the public simply did not think that the church or its ministers had done anything wrong in raping kids.

He said that many people still considered that the church was infallible and that  senior congregation members insisted that those people who had come forward to raise issues of abuse where only doing so because they wanted attention and/or money ....

He actually took the church (his employer) to the Fair Work Commission because senior church people where making life difficult for him once he agreed to give evidence at the Royal Commission in to sexual abuse.....

This is the guy..... don't have time to look up further detail/interviews ...

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4496086/anglican-hero-resigns-from-diocese/

On ‎1‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, goughy said:

But if there is a god there I'd love to have a chat and find out why they are such a sick ****!

I got asked once: but what if, when you die, you find out you're wrong and there is a god. My reply: well I'll go find the f*** and smack him in the mouth, as he's a shit god and deserves a sound kicking.

Well what if you die and find out you picked the wrong god?  Your odds of getting it wrong are only slightly greater and surely any prick that would run the world this way would take a dimmer view of worshiping somebody else than they would of not believing at all?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stikman said:

Well what if you die and find out you picked the wrong god?  Your odds of getting it wrong are only slightly greater and surely any prick that would run the world this way would take a dimmer view of worshiping somebody else than they would of not believing at all?

The amount of deals I've made with various religions whilst climbing in the Alps, it'll be a bloody long queue!;)

• Like 3