Jump to content
Rocket Salad

In the news thread.

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, The Customer said:

And when you get to the top you always say, "Thank God!"

Shortly followed by 'where's the effing cake?'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No they just passed their IQ test. 

Edited by Rog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Rog said:

 

Edit...

Two very different sides of politics. I didn't follow very closely but I'm surprised it wasn't closer. Didn't the Dutch have a similar result?

Edited by Rocket Salad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2017 at 6:32 AM, Rocket Salad said:

Did France just vote for more terror attacks?

I'm laughing at the left celebrating a merchant banker getting elected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Explosion at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester. Would have been a lot of kids and teens there.  19 confirmed dead and about another 50 injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First reports said bomb, then they were saying possible electrical fault or even balloons, now they are saying police are treating it as terrorist activity. With everyone on tenterhooks now, it doesn't take much to start a panic.

I suppose even if it was just an electrical fault, you could say that terrorists (and the media/political hype up) are to blame for the deaths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I'm starting to get used to this sort of thing now. Happens 2 or 3 times a year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rocket Salad said:

I think I'm starting to get used to this sort of thing now. Happens 2 or 3 times a year.

What?  The media calling it a terror attack without any knowledge or confirmation and then chamging it to what actually happened?

btw. I firmly believe the media is shit 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Peter said:

What?  The media calling it a terror attack without any knowledge or confirmation and then chamging it to what actually happened?

btw. I firmly believe the media is shit 

 

 

Confirmed suicide bomber,  sounds like a nail bomb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Truly sickening. And terrorism is pretty low down on the problems with Islam. The inability to separate church and state and quest for global jihad and domination is a far greater concern. 

The mentality of the bomber is firmly focused on the promise of nirvana in the afterlife. And yes the 72 virgins. 

 

Dont be surprised if the bomber was was born and raised in England and been a bit of a wayward Muslim. Boozing and rooting around etc.  and possibly radicalized in jail and no doubt known to authorities. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Libyan descent, born in Manchester and had three siblings!

8yr old girl named as one of the victims, her mother is in a serious condition in hospital in a coma with no idea her daughter has died.  Just gut wrenching.

Ariana has cancelled her world tour.

And the fake news - early reports were that a group of 50 unaccompanied  children were being sheltered in a Holiday Inn while their parents were trying to be found - confirmed to not have been true at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manchester is terrible, but how many of you heard about the bombing in a Bangkok hospital that occurred around the same time, or the ISIS attack in Marawai, Phillipines yesterday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not at all.  And what you say is right..... horrible in Manchester, but these things are happening all around the world, and the further from a "westernised" country, the less we hear.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, goughy said:

 

And the fake news - early reports were that a group of 50 unaccompanied  children were being sheltered in a Holiday Inn while their parents were trying to be found - confirmed to not have been true at all.  

I know it's trendy from  to label anything 'fake news' and there are some holes in this story but I'm yet to see anything that 'confirms' it was completely fabricated.  Could you share a link?  (I'm genuinely curious).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there is one thing in common with all the attacks.

 

It starts with an I. 

 

And be I don't mean 'Idiots' putting their head as far up their own arse as possible and pretending these are 'lone wolf' attacks and making up hashtags about deviceness and hate. 

Edited by Niseko
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Niseko said:

And there is one thing in common with all the attacks.

 

It starts with an I. 

 

And be I don't mean 'Idiots' putting their head as far up their own arse as possible and pretending these are 'lone wolf' attacks and making up hashtags about deviceness and hate. 

The other thing in common is the family will come out and say 'We had no idea about any of this'....blah blah

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Niseko said:

 

 

It starts with an I. 

 

 

Intolerance, absolutely spot on.  Let's make sure we don't make the same mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FatPom said:

The other thing in common is the family will come out and say 'We had no idea about any of this'....blah blah

Doesn't seem like it in this case.  One brother arrested in England, and another brother and his father arrested in Tripoli.  News was saying the brother arrested in Tripoli was heading home to carry out another attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We always say that you should never take advice on Ironamn from someone who hasn't done one.

Maybe we should try imparting that logic on suicide bombers, don't take advice on suicide bombings from anyone who hasn't already successfully done one themselves....... Oh wait 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Syria war: 'At least 68 children among 126 killed' in bus bombing - 17 May

Pray for Manchester. Ariana's World Tour cancelled - oh no!

Edited by The Customer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, goughy said:

Doesn't seem like it in this case.  One brother arrested in England, and another brother and his father arrested in Tripoli.  News was saying the brother arrested in Tripoli was heading home to carry out another attack.

Turns out the family knew he wanted 'revenge' for Syria.  Can't see anything about where they alerted authorities, what a surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Intolerance, absolutely spot on.  Let's make sure we don't make the same mistake

So you want to tolerate 8 year old girls being blow to pieces at a pop concert? 

 

I dont want to tolerate that at all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Customer said:

Syria war: 'At least 68 children among 126 killed' in bus bombing - 17 May

Pray for Manchester. Ariana's World Tour cancelled - oh no!

I pray for a world where the followers of this backwards, violent, racist, mysoginistic and homophobic ideology are left to blow themselves to pieces as much as they like in their own sand infested shit holes for the next 600 years until the catch up with the civilized world and leave the rest of us alone. 

Edited by Niseko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 4,000 radiclised Muslims in England alone who are on 24 hour, personalized monitoring, at the cost of millions of pounds.

And still the bleeding hearts want to let more in! And cry inclusiveness, intolerance, bigotry and acceptance. And the Muslims play the victims and get more support for sideways glances than bomb victims. 

 

The world has had gone completely and utterly mad. 

Edited by Niseko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Niseko said:

There are 4,000 radiclised Muslims in England alone who are on 24 hour, personalized monitoring, at the cost of millions of pounds.

And still the bleeding hearts want to let more in! And cry inclusiveness, intolerance, bigotry and acceptance. And the Muslims play the victims and get more support for sideways glances than bomb victims. 

 

The world has had gone completely and utterly mad. 

I have heard that the number is closer to 3,000, but what's a thousand-odd nutcases walking the streets ready to do whatever they want?

Watching Question Time over here (similar to Australia's Q&A), there was a statistic that only 0.3% of all usable leads on terrorist activity come from the Islamic community. Given that they are only 4.4% of the known population, that's far too low, but given that they are responsible for most of the terrorist incidents in the UK .... well, that is appalling and they need to start shopping their mates and families.

And they are still only 4.4% of the population which are causing 95% of the fear and mistrust in the community at the moment.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Niseko said:

I pray for a world where the followers of this backwards, violent, racist, mysoginistic and homophobic ideology are left to blow themselves to pieces as much as they like in their own sand infested shit holes for the next 600 years until the catch up with the civilized world and leave the rest of us alone. 

So you don't mind that 68 children were blown up in Syria?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The Customer said:

So you don't mind that 68 children were blown up in Syria?

As bad at it seems, no, I don't think he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like it, but It bothers me and I think everyone far less than what happened in Manchester. England are our allies and there's a far argument that we are at war, so who gets bothered as much at when the enemy suffers from losses? And when I say enemy I mean the Islamists seeking to dominate the world.

In just 48 hours :
Explosion in Manchester
Explosion in Bangkok
Car bombing in Syria
ISIS attack in Marawi
Suicide bombing in Jakarta  

All done by radicalized Muslims and yet people still defend and defend Islam  as a religion of peace  

I can't help but notice that you are sounding more and more like a member of a group such as Hitzbut Tahrir, Hamas etc. 

Ask them to condemn a terrosit attack against us and they ignore the question and focus on people dying in the Middle East. 

On a radicilastion scale of 1-10 where a suicide bomber is a 10 what score do you think you'd be? 

Edited by Niseko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Niseko said:

I don't like it, but It bothers me and I think everyone far less than what happened in Manchester.

Speak for yourself. Don't assume what 'everyone' thinks. A child is a child, regardless of the colour of their skin.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair point. I should have worded it better, I guess I meant all Australians.

But the direction Australia has gone recently, I'd have to clarify and say 'what Australians actually think' as probably most would lie as to their actual feelings.

Edited by Niseko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Margaret Court causing a ruckus.  Saw her on The Project last night (though I missed the start), and while it's one of my favourite shows I thought they went a bit too hard at her and on the wrong tack.  While I don't agree with her views, she is allowed to have them.  But the problem I have with her view, and also in the way they dealt with her last night, was that there isn't enough talk about the separation between religion and state.  She continually brought up the bible etc etc, and they slammed her, but why the heck did they not point out that christianity doesn't have ownership over marriage, that all other religions have it and the simple fact that marriage within the state and marriage within religion are not the same.

I can't see how someone can say they can't allow gay marriage because the bible is against it, yet that same person recognise my marriage which was presided over in a park by a celebrant, with nothing to do with god at all.  To me, if they can't accept gay marriage because of religion, then they can't accept mine either!

While I think religion should also accept marriage equality, that is a totally different argument all together, and if a church doesn't want to then it's for them and their constituents to argue over!  That's got nothing to do with me what so ever.  But religion shouldn't be driving something that no longer has anything to do with them.

I so hope there is a god, called buddha, so when all the christians get up there they get to have that 'wtf' face! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not that long ago that Aborigines were not allowed to vote in Australia. And not long before that women were allowed to vote. Today in 2017 can you imagine that? It seems insane but there were people arguing against both those decisions at the time. Hopefully as a society we move forward and become 'better' over time. In 50 years from now marriage equality will be viewed the same way.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering what Waleed's own religion does with homosexuals his condescending and sanctimonious attitude was very hypocritical. He is such a wordsmith he makes everyone love him as he ostensibly is calling for 'inclusion' and reducing 'division, but if you break down what he says it's usually him saying "Don't worry about Islam, there's nothing to see here at all'.

 

This breakdown of his BS is terrific: 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Niseko said:

He is such a wordsmith he makes everyone love him 

Actually he is getting more disliked daily.

If I was the producer of "The Project" aka NEWS for dumb people

I'd drop him fast. He will damage the show beyond repair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still love the project, but think they conducted that interview horribly, and completely on the wrong tack. But I don't agree with Margaret Court at all either. But should have let her say her piece more as that alone was burying her, at least in my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

does Rebel Wilson seriously believe she was going to be a superstar? and missed out on roles because USA studio executives read something negative about her in a Australian tv magazine?  puh lease....shoot me now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, I'm happy for someone to take on those mags. I mean, they just print fabricated bullshit all the time, so I actually hope she gets somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty gripping Four Corners tonight about the end of the Lindt Seige - seems the wallopers in charge might have made a few pretty serious errors of judgement. Just a very sad story for the families.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, trinube said:

Pretty gripping Four Corners tonight about the end of the Lindt Seige - seems the wallopers in charge might have made a few pretty serious errors of judgement. Just a very sad story for the families.

Whilst the guys in charge may have made errors, I have nothing but respect for those on the ground, who ran into a room to confront an armed man who was suspected of having a bomb, and being ready to explode it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Whilst the guys in charge may have made errors, I have nothing but respect for those on the ground, who ran into a room to confront an armed man who was suspected of having a bomb, and being ready to explode it.

Yeah I was reading something last week (cant find it again) but basically saying the front line police rang their families to say goodbye before going in as if all was suspected they werent expected to survive.  

WOW!!! 

I havent seen the show but my thoughts: 

In hindsight I think its easy to say what "should" have happened, but if the cops went in early and tried to shoot Monis, then there is every possibility that there would have been deaths, such as happened anyway with Katrina Dawson so while there may be processes they could do better in the future its hard to argue about what could have happened versus a hypothetical scenario.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, roxii said:

In hindsight I think its easy to say what "should" have happened, but if the cops went in early and tried to shoot Monis, then there is every possibility that there would have been deaths, such as happened anyway with Katrina Dawson so while there may be processes they could do better in the future its hard to argue about what could have happened versus a hypothetical scenario.

Yeah I agree with this. The police would of been in more trouble with the media if they had gone in guns blazing and killed a hostage before Monis had acted. I would not like to be in the position of the lead cop

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, goughy said:

Meh, I'm happy for someone to take on those mags. I mean, they just print fabricated bullshit all the time, so I actually hope she gets somewhere.

Totally agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×