longshot

Indian Pacific Wheel Race (IPWR)

Peter    1,562
32 minutes ago, Naut said:

The way my job is at the moment, I think I have the suffering covered.

Seriously though, I reckon the training is the hard bit. You would really want to do some 2-4 day simulations (maybe Audux events) so you understand the impact of continuous riding. That's hard to fit in with a family.

I know 2 of the guys doing it and they were doing 8hr rides overnight training for it. 

basically riding in the dark practice and also not sleeping for 2 days with big rides.

So agree.  

I'd love to know Rupert the reporters deal.  As in how much training he did for it etc...  I guess he will do a story once he has done it

Naut    498
1 hour ago, Peter said:

I'd love to know Rupert the reporters deal.  As in how much training he did for it etc...  I guess he will do a story once he has done it

I know he did some training, but not sure how much was just trialling the gear and how much was actual conditioning.

He is planning to write a book on the Overlanders after he finishes.

Charlesn    192
3 hours ago, Kiwinoz said:

Some additional charts with stopped time and distance etc http://www.deakin.edu.au/~jbrinkhoff/ipwr/IPWR.html

Seb Dunne 470km , 2 1/2 hours stopped per day. How much of that is sleep ... 1hr!?

unsustainable surely, especially with the rubbish they must be eating in those 1 horse towns

Ex-Hasbeen    3,801
2 hours ago, Charlesn said:

Seb Dunne 470km , 2 1/2 hours stopped per day. How much of that is sleep ... 1hr!?

unsustainable surely, especially with the rubbish they must be eating in those 1 horse towns

Looks like it's taken it's toll. Seb hasn't moved from the campground for quite a while now and has dropped back to equal 5th.

Charlesn    192
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Looks like it's taken it's toll. Seb hasn't moved from the campground for quite a while now and has dropped back to equal 5th.

Yep. Exploded big time, crashed and burnt .. 6-7 hours stopped in a tiny town. 

Else hopefully a GPS issue?

Adam Hunter has ground to a halt as well now.

i wonder if the racers that have 4-5 hours off each day might start to march thru the field.

experience must count for so much in such an extreme event. 

I reckon maybe 10 will finish, and you'd expect Kristoff and Mike would have the experience to get them there

Ex-Hasbeen    3,801

I noticed Kristoff and Mike are taking longer breaks than the 3 that were closest to them this morning.

I notice Donncha moved up to third today, but is now out, and Sarah is in to 3rd.

Horowitz    27
18 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Looks like a big night "somewhere" tonight.

Indian Pacific.JPG

You'd have to be worried about contaminated drink bottles while snoozing off..

Ex-Hasbeen    3,801
8 minutes ago, Horowitz said:

You'd have to be worried about contaminated drink bottles while snoozing off..

I wonder if ASADA are on there way there now for an early morning door knock?

• Like 1

Ruley    729

prob not wada sanctioned, we should crowd fund lance to race

• Like 2

Ex-Hasbeen    3,801

This race really is intriguing to follow.

Mike went about a day and a half without any real break, and closed to within 30 to 40km of Kristoff yesterday, before he took a long break overnight. Kristoff has now gone 24 hours straight, and taken the lead back to about 150km.

After commenting on Seb's fall from grace yesterday, he's back in 3rd again.

Peter    1,562
9 hours ago, Ruley said:

absolutely 

IronmanFoz    635
9 hours ago, Ruley said:

Lance would have finished in Sydney yesterday.

Naut    498

It's going to be fascinating to see how the change in terrain when they hit the East coast is going to effect them.

They are dealing with isolation and boredom at the moment, but it could be hills and really poor, cold weather when they hit the Vic Alps and the Snowys. All on top of the pain and fatigue they are going through.

Terrifying to think they are not even half way. But equally terrifying to think that the leaders are already almost half way.

Peter    1,562

Agree.  I find it interesting they are in a desert and its always raining.

And there are no cars

roxii    4,000

Hows this for tough?

She had covered more than 1000km of the epic Indian Pacific Wheel Race, from Fremantle to Sydney, before an allergic reaction led to serious illness and her forced abandonment of the race.

Now she's returning to Perth to rest, recuperate, then start the ride all over again!

Gotta love this quote: 

"Long story short, on the second night of the race I had to stop at the hospital in Norseman as I was blacking out, coughing and having trouble breathing. The doc didn't know what to look for but after some tests said I had blood in my pee and my heartbeat was irregular.

"They wanted to keep me overnight but I decided to keep riding as it didn't seem anything too serious....."

Read more at

http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com.au/news/starting-again-indian-pacific-wheel-race-rider-juliana-buhring-to-restart-after-serious-illness

• Like 1

-H-    605

Claire is still kicking on and has made it to the SA border.  She's taking lots of photos along the way and enjoying the journey (mostly).

• Like 1

Charlesn    192
13 hours ago, Naut said:

It's going to be fascinating to see how the change in terrain when they hit the East coast is going to effect them.

They are dealing with isolation and boredom at the moment, but it could be hills and really poor, cold weather when they hit the Vic Alps and the Snowys. All on top of the pain and fatigue they are going through.

Terrifying to think they are not even half way. But equally terrifying to think that the leaders are already almost half way.

Some footage shows them out of the saddle just trying to keep the bike moving on the tiniest gradients. I think they've had some headwinds, well a lot according to Cycling Maven, but climbing through both the Victorian and NSW Alps is just sadistic with 4000km in the legs.

Kristoff looks a light dude, and have you seen how light he packs. He's carrying almost nothing.

Seb is a much bigger guy than the lead 2, but he seems to be able to just push on regardless.

I'd be walking up Falls Ck and Tawonga Gap, guaranteed. And there is a massive climb on the NSW side as well

Edited by Charlesn
Spelling and grammar

ironpo    2,764
9 hours ago, Charlesn said:

Some footage shows them out of the saddle just trying to keep the bike moving on the tiniest gradients. I think they've had some headwinds, well a lot according to Cycling Maven, but climbing through both the Victorian and NSW Alps is just sadistic with 4000km in the legs.

Kristoff looks a light dude, and have you seen how light he packs. He's carrying almost nothing.

Seb is a much bigger guy than the lead 2, but he seems to be able to just push on regardless.

I'd be walking up Falls Ck and Tawonga Gap, guaranteed. And there is a massive climb on the NSW side as well

Yes

the back end (last 1000k or so) is carnage

not sure how many will finish this race

Naut    498

And its not like they are just doing Falls Creek, if I read the route correctly they are heading up the back of Falls. Anyone that has done that climb knows it is pretty brutal when you are fresh and on a light bike.

I hope they are running compacts and have at least a 32 in the cassette.

• Like 1

Shrek    137

another one who is totally hooked and intrigued...following it massively, even the non cycling better half is getting hooked on the craziness of it....

met Seb and Beth Dunne one year when we raced Easter 24 hr solo a coupla years ago.... good to see Seb doing so well....

• Like 1

roxii    4,000

Kristoff has hit Adelaide.

On the upside there is plenty of incentive to ride away from Adelaide. :lol:

17458397_1386765338036077_11176711630507479_n.jpg

• Like 2

dazmuzza    33
1 hour ago, Naut said:

And its not like they are just doing Falls Creek, if I read the route correctly they are heading up the back of Falls. Anyone that has done that climb knows it is pretty brutal when you are fresh and on a light bike.

I hope they are running compacts and have at least a 32 in the cassette.

Actually Cylcing Tips published a guide on what gear some of the contenders are running just this morning, thought doesn't really talk about the gear ratio they're running.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/03/bikes-2017-indian-pacific-wheel-race/

Edited by dazmuzza