longshot

Indian Pacific Wheel Race (IPWR)

Charlesn    192

They have a giant saddle bag that sticks out the back and a triangular bag between top tube and down tube. And an additional bottle cage hanging under the bike.

have a look at the Melbourne to sydney Leg. It's thru every bit of Snowy Mountains back road there is. Then down to the gong and climb up that nasty Stanwell Park pinch, then out of Audley. Then in Sydney there are some nasty grads as well... River Rd maybe.

this event is designed for maximum dnf.

already the field is decimated.

durianrider hit by a car apparently.

imagine the turbulence from a 3 or 4 trailer road train at high speed on those straight Nullarbor stretches, on a packed bike with a huge aero profile!! Bad enough with a single trailer truck at lower speed. You'd feel yourself out of control as trailer after trailer whisked past your shoulder.

absolutely insane.

Seb just rode past Donncha into 3rd. Zoomed and and watched the pass. Didn't draft, no side by side, no mutual support. Just blew by, in the middle of a 90mile stretch of  straight road.

maybe the Mark Allen concept of don't pass any positive energy to your competitor?!

Ex-Hasbeen    3,801

Charles, the graphics online are actually predicted position, based on last position, and average speed at the last check. Next location check will see where they really are.

Edit to add. They've updated the timing again, and it's showing them riding along together now.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Naut    498

Durianrider was hit by a car weeks (or months?) before the race started.

His reason for pulling out is on-going issues with the injuries sustained during that accident.

Charlesn    192
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Charles, the graphics online are actually predicted position, based on last position, and average speed at the last check. Next location check will see where they really are.

Edit to add. They've updated the timing again, and it's showing them riding along together now.

Ahh. Good fun all the same.

Still amazing graphics and updates huh. Must have a good tracking device

34 minutes ago, Naut said:

Durianrider was hit by a car weeks (or months?) before the race started.

His reason for pulling out is on-going issues with the injuries sustained during that accident.

Oh, then SOFT!

Nah just kidding, he does talk a big game though

Ex-Hasbeen    3,801
1 hour ago, Charlesn said:

Ahh. Good fun all the same.

Still amazing graphics and updates huh. Must have a good tracking device

I agree. I suppose the next step will be real time updating, or more updates (say every minute). I wonder if they are using satellite tracking of some sort, or 4G?

Peter    1,562

so a bunch of guys and girls on bikes in the middle of nowhere can be tracked but WTC are unable to do it for people on a highway in Kona.

okay then

• Like 2

longshot    76
14 minutes ago, Peter said:

so a bunch of guys and girls on bikes in the middle of nowhere can be tracked but WTC are unable to do it for people on a highway in Kona.

okay then

They could, but they  don't really  want to :)

rory-dognz    239
3 hours ago, longshot said:

They could, but they  don't really  want to :)

They can now, you just carry your phone and your friends can track you.

They used these trackers in the NZ length of NZ last year and there is the story of a guy stopping at a pub for food, looks at his tracker and it shows his bike has moved on, thought it was stolen, but the tracker uses predictitive location between uploads as well as real location. 

• Like 1

Charlesn    192

Even if you turn 'Predictive mode' off. Still does a bloody good job.

And predictive is probably pretty accurate on the Nullarbor I'd say.

have you guys looked at the Melbourne to Sydney route ... up the back of Falls Ck ... fark!

i could hardly get up there on a light bike with a few hours riding in the legs,!

and then over Tawonga Gap. So cruel!!

Ruley    729
1 hour ago, Charlesn said:

Even if you turn 'Predictive mode' off. Still does a bloody good job.

And predictive is probably pretty accurate on the Nullarbor I'd say.

have you guys looked at the Melbourne to Sydney route ... up the back of Falls Ck ... fark!

i could hardly get up there on a light bike with a few hours riding in the legs,!

so the route is not strictly point to point?

Edited by Ruley
shit spelling

Bored@work    1,439

My mate is waiting on the side of the road for the RAA to pick him up.  Busted spoke & derailleur is rooted. 

Peter    1,562
11 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

My mate is waiting on the side of the road for the RAA to pick him up.  Busted spoke & derailleur is rooted. 

5000k straight. Bumpy roads. Wet weather. 

The bike that stays together will be the real winner. 

Fark i I hope it's not a giant. 

• Like 1

ironpo    2,764
9 hours ago, Charlesn said:

Really

they sure are going the long way around

ironpo    2,764

Is there anywhere that have placeings etc ?

plus route and race info 

-H-    605

My old mate Claire is still going, she seems to be loving it (she's a lite bit crazy)

• Like 1

Charlesn    192

No matter what time of day I look, when I wake up or when I go to bed, those same leading dots just keep moving.

freakin nuts ... 10 hours stopped in the first 70 hours from a graph I saw.

and half that stopped time would be spent eating and packing/ unpacking, so that's about 5 hours sleep!!!

• Like 1

Aidan    145
3 hours ago, ironpo said:

Thanks

yes I've been watching that , but all I get is the tracker

how do u find any other info about each river etc  ,from the menu?

thanks

click on their name, their profile will appear (e.g name, age, social media links etc etc)

Naut    498

This is hugely addictive. I really want to race out, buy a Curve Belgie and start training for next year.

It's only the complete lack of budget, difficulty taking the time off and lack of desire to abandon my family for a month (plus training) that is stopping me.

• Like 3

Ex-Hasbeen    3,801

Leader should hit Adelaide tomorrow.

I noticed about 8 of them all at one hotel/camp area last night. I wonder how social it gets when they all rock in?

dazmuzza    33
1 hour ago, Naut said:

This is hugely addictive. I really want to race out, buy a Curve Belgie and start training for next year.

It's only the complete lack of budget, difficulty taking the time off and lack of desire to abandon my family for a month (plus training) that is stopping me.

I've got a Curve. Not a belgie though - a grovel steel CX bike. Great machine and suprisingly light for steel.

• Like 1

Peter    1,562
2 hours ago, Naut said:

I'm sure we can crowdfund you getting there to do the race and other small fees.

But you need to do the training.  And racing.  And suffering. 

• Like 1

Naut    498
26 minutes ago, Peter said:

I'm sure we can crowdfund you getting there to do the race and other small fees.

But you need to do the training.  And racing.  And suffering. 

The way my job is at the moment, I think I have the suffering covered.

Seriously though, I reckon the training is the hard bit. You would really want to do some 2-4 day simulations (maybe Audux events) so you understand the impact of continuous riding. That's hard to fit in with a family.