longshot

Indian Pacific Wheel Race (IPWR)

Unfinished business....

Sarah Hammond has announced she is turning her tracker back on and recommencing from where she left off when the event was stopped...

• Like 1

Well Christie made it in on Friday (six weeks or thereabouts), short video by Rupert on facebook.

1 hour ago, longshot said:

Well Christie made it in on Friday (six weeks or thereabouts), short video by Rupert on facebook.

Is 6 plus weeks within the 13hr IM cutoff?

I watched the Doco last night on SBS demand. It was good but also hard to watch knowing Mike's fate. I shed a tear at the end. Rest in peace buddy..:(

45 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Shit 

thats not good

so RAAM (race across America) is on also at the moment , what is the difference between these races ??

I think Raam has a support vehicle with the rider the whole time no they have lots of tight rules and regs in regards to fatigue 

the trans am is totally in supported I believe , just like the Indian pacific wheel race

I think from memory RAAM, has teams as well as individuals, different bikes (recumbents etc) support vehicles (campervans etc) 

Just now, roxii said:

I think from memory RAAM, has teams as well as individuals, different bikes (recumbents etc) support vehicles (campervans etc) 

Yes I tight rules say the support vehicle has/should be behind the rider as much as possible 

good idea I believe 

I watched a doco last night about the team called RAAM Roses. Seems like they have a follow vehicle for the rider with mechanic and the camper and a with the others riders and support doing the 'frog leaps'.

Edited by FatPom

Been a death in the Transcontinental cycle event overnight. 

It could mark the end of these types of races, with deaths in each of the 3 majors this year. 

Horrible for all involved.

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It could mark the end of these types of races, with deaths in each of the 3 majors this year. 

Horrible for all involved.

I don't agree, could happen anywhere, anytime.

14 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I don't agree, could happen anywhere, anytime.

I suppose that will depend on the circumstances of each accident.

These guys are sometimes well over 24/ 48  hours of riding without a break and if that is a contributor to the accident then maybe something will be put in place to stop this happening. 

People will always want to race, we just might see the popularity decrease and the organisation decrease proportionally for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

I suppose that will depend on the circumstances of each accident.

These guys are sometimes well over 24/ 48  hours of riding without a break and if that is a contributor to the accident then maybe something will be put in place to stop this happening. 

This one happened just a few hours after the start, hit and run.