Jump to content
longshot

Indian Pacific Wheel Race (IPWR)

Recommended Posts

Might be of interest, bike race from Perth to Sydney

 

https://www.indianpacificwheelrace.com/

 

Apparently the top ultra-cyclists are in, including Jesse Carlson and Sarah Hammond from Australia but also two others in what is being presented as a head-to-head duel. Goes through Adelaide and Melbourne, Kew Boulevard.

 

Not really my thing, as all about being able to survive on a few hours sleep a day, and people do fall asleep when riding and crash. But like the Sydney to Melbourne ultra marathon(s), I find them interesting, and the Cliff Young story is a legend. Now with trackers, the web and the social media reports and footage including drones and bike cameras etc makes following the event interesting, although a bit voyeuristic :)

 

Met someone doing it when riding back from Geelong after watching Cadel's race. Eastern Beach is nice in summer, and is the jewel of Geelong, looked so good that day that HIM Geelong almost seemed to beckon :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

INSANE. Was chatting to jesse in Adelaide at the TDU. ripping good guy. Rode to Adelaide in 2 days from melb for a warm up

Edited by Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Durrianrider, the Vegan YouTube guy is also doing it. Will be very interesting to see how he goes!

 

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

INSANE. Was chatting to jesse in Adelaide at the TDU. ripping good guy. Rode to Adelaide in 2 days from melb for a warm up

Cycling Mavan has some good YouTube vlogs of that trip too. There's not enough chamois cream in the world that would get me though that

 

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Driving west (or back) theres plenty of mostly Japanese doing it with tonnes of baggage. Apparently its a status thing when they go home to say theyve done it. Insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, roxii said:

600+ kms on day one for the leaders. 

Crazy stuff 

Wow

i wonder how long that will last

i reckon the winner will need to average over 500k a day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Durian rider DNF 

Soft cock. He was never going past Adelaide. 

Maven is half as fit prob less and Rupert Guinness will finish and they both have jobs. Not just rants on YouTube. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately looks like Jesse had to pull the pin as well. HE was around third or fourth when injury forced retirement.

 

Exciting event, will be following. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kristof Allegaert and Mike Hall have just gone over the 'summit' of 400m, and are now on the 400km  downhill run  to sea level: at a gradient of 1m/1km :)

Great website mapmyprogress, just needs weather  integrated, rain and wind ...

Edited by longshot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 of by riding buddies, Seb Dunne and Nathan Versey both doing it. Seb pushed through Norseman earlier, and when I checked the next town ... Cocklebiddy, 423km away, population 8.

if you zoom in on the tracker you can see riders stopped and moving. You can see where they are stopped, like what building, in these remote places.

seb has stopped by the side of the road by the looks and 2 riders just gradually moved past ... all on the live GPS tracking.

 

rapha tweeted some photos ... raining!

poor bastards.

soggy shorts for 500km would bring me undone

 

the other thing about this race is they are fully self sufficient. To external support, so they'd have to carry 400km worth of water .

And no drafting ... haha ... hope they have more draft busting marshals on the Nullarbor than some of our triathlons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be interesting if could  watch from satellites with real-time imagery, like those military ones in the movies. Next level reality TV. I find it more interesting than watching ironman,  or even the grand tours, maybe just the epicness of it, small numbers, amateur (i.e. no prize money), and the vast outback desert  ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like they pushed on whilst we all slept huh

kristoff 1148km in 2 days.

my mate Seb, 969km, now looks like he's have a lie in and some abandoned airport/ refinery thing.

 

doubt very much that they serve a good steak ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Charlesn said:

2 of by riding buddies, Seb Dunne and Nathan Versey both doing it. Seb pushed through Norseman earlier, and when I checked the next town ... Cocklebiddy, 423km away, population 8.

if you zoom in on the tracker you can see riders stopped and moving. You can see where they are stopped, like what building, in these remote places.

seb has stopped by the side of the road by the looks and 2 riders just gradually moved past ... all on the live GPS tracking.

 

rapha tweeted some photos ... raining!

poor bastards.

soggy shorts for 500km would bring me undone

 

the other thing about this race is they are fully self sufficient. To external support, so they'd have to carry 400km worth of water .

And no drafting ... haha ... hope they have more draft busting marshals on the Nullarbor than some of our triathlons

How are they even carryinf that much? Big panniers? Trailers?

 

 

Seen folks doing it(mainly Japanese) with panniers etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The leader is 1200K in.  Not even half way to Adelaide yet. Farking insane

maven at 600K

Your mate Bored@ is at 725K this morning.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Turtle said:

How are they even carryinf that much? Big panniers? Trailers?

Seen folks doing it(mainly Japanese) with panniers etc

They have strapped most to aerobars.

You can see here 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have a giant saddle bag that sticks out the back and a triangular bag between top tube and down tube. And an additional bottle cage hanging under the bike.

 

have a look at the Melbourne to sydney Leg. It's thru every bit of Snowy Mountains back road there is. Then down to the gong and climb up that nasty Stanwell Park pinch, then out of Audley. Then in Sydney there are some nasty grads as well... River Rd maybe.

this event is designed for maximum dnf.

already the field is decimated.

durianrider hit by a car apparently.

imagine the turbulence from a 3 or 4 trailer road train at high speed on those straight Nullarbor stretches, on a packed bike with a huge aero profile!! Bad enough with a single trailer truck at lower speed. You'd feel yourself out of control as trailer after trailer whisked past your shoulder.

absolutely insane.

Seb just rode past Donncha into 3rd. Zoomed and and watched the pass. Didn't draft, no side by side, no mutual support. Just blew by, in the middle of a 90mile stretch of  straight road.

maybe the Mark Allen concept of don't pass any positive energy to your competitor?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charles, the graphics online are actually predicted position, based on last position, and average speed at the last check. Next location check will see where they really are.

 

Edit to add. They've updated the timing again, and it's showing them riding along together now.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Durianrider was hit by a car weeks (or months?) before the race started.

His reason for pulling out is on-going issues with the injuries sustained during that accident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Charles, the graphics online are actually predicted position, based on last position, and average speed at the last check. Next location check will see where they really are.

 

Edit to add. They've updated the timing again, and it's showing them riding along together now.

Ahh. Good fun all the same.

Still amazing graphics and updates huh. Must have a good tracking device

34 minutes ago, Naut said:

Durianrider was hit by a car weeks (or months?) before the race started.

His reason for pulling out is on-going issues with the injuries sustained during that accident.

Oh, then SOFT!

Nah just kidding, he does talk a big game though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlesn said:

Ahh. Good fun all the same.

Still amazing graphics and updates huh. Must have a good tracking device

 

I agree. I suppose the next step will be real time updating, or more updates (say every minute). I wonder if they are using satellite tracking of some sort, or 4G?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so a bunch of guys and girls on bikes in the middle of nowhere can be tracked but WTC are unable to do it for people on a highway in Kona.

okay then

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Peter said:

so a bunch of guys and girls on bikes in the middle of nowhere can be tracked but WTC are unable to do it for people on a highway in Kona.

okay then

They could, but they  don't really  want to :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, longshot said:

They could, but they  don't really  want to :)

They can now, you just carry your phone and your friends can track you.

They used these trackers in the NZ length of NZ last year and there is the story of a guy stopping at a pub for food, looks at his tracker and it shows his bike has moved on, thought it was stolen, but the tracker uses predictitive location between uploads as well as real location. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if you turn 'Predictive mode' off. Still does a bloody good job.

And predictive is probably pretty accurate on the Nullarbor I'd say.

 

have you guys looked at the Melbourne to Sydney route ... up the back of Falls Ck ... fark!

i could hardly get up there on a light bike with a few hours riding in the legs,!

and then over Tawonga Gap. So cruel!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlesn said:

Even if you turn 'Predictive mode' off. Still does a bloody good job.

And predictive is probably pretty accurate on the Nullarbor I'd say.

 

have you guys looked at the Melbourne to Sydney route ... up the back of Falls Ck ... fark!

i could hardly get up there on a light bike with a few hours riding in the legs,!

and then over Tawonga Gap. So cruel!!

so the route is not strictly point to point?

Edited by Ruley
shit spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

My mate is waiting on the side of the road for the RAA to pick him up.  Busted spoke & derailleur is rooted. 

5000k straight. Bumpy roads. Wet weather. 

The bike that stays together will be the real winner. 

 

Fark i I hope it's not a giant. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Charlesn said:

 

 

have you guys looked at the Melbourne to Sydney route ... up the back of Falls Ck ... fark!

i could hardly get up there on a light bike with a few hours riding in the legs,!

and then over Tawonga Gap. So cruel!!

Really

they sure are going the long way around

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My old mate Claire is still going, she seems to be loving it (she's a lite bit crazy)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter what time of day I look, when I wake up or when I go to bed, those same leading dots just keep moving.

freakin nuts ... 10 hours stopped in the first 70 hours from a graph I saw.

and half that stopped time would be spent eating and packing/ unpacking, so that's about 5 hours sleep!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ironpo said:

Thanks

yes I've been watching that , but all I get is the tracker

how do u find any other info about each river etc  ,from the menu?

thanks

click on their name, their profile will appear (e.g name, age, social media links etc etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is hugely addictive. I really want to race out, buy a Curve Belgie and start training for next year.

It's only the complete lack of budget, difficulty taking the time off and lack of desire to abandon my family for a month (plus training) that is stopping me.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leader should hit Adelaide tomorrow.

 

I noticed about 8 of them all at one hotel/camp area last night. I wonder how social it gets when they all rock in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Naut said:

This is hugely addictive. I really want to race out, buy a Curve Belgie and start training for next year.

It's only the complete lack of budget, difficulty taking the time off and lack of desire to abandon my family for a month (plus training) that is stopping me.

 

I've got a Curve. Not a belgie though - a grovel steel CX bike. Great machine and suprisingly light for steel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Naut said:

This is hugely addictive. I really want to race out, buy a Curve Belgie and start training for next year.

It's only the complete lack of budget, difficulty taking the time off and lack of desire to abandon my family for a month (plus training) that is stopping me.

 

I'm sure we can crowdfund you getting there to do the race and other small fees.

 

But you need to do the training.  And racing.  And suffering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Peter said:

I'm sure we can crowdfund you getting there to do the race and other small fees.

 

But you need to do the training.  And racing.  And suffering. 

The way my job is at the moment, I think I have the suffering covered.

Seriously though, I reckon the training is the hard bit. You would really want to do some 2-4 day simulations (maybe Audux events) so you understand the impact of continuous riding. That's hard to fit in with a family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...