BarryBevan

Canberra Cycling Clubs

Yes, Straight to vets or Vikings Thursday night. A grade vets is equivalent to a low B grade wednesday night standard

If you want super aggro racing where serious sheep stations are on the line - go with CCC Wednesday crits.

If you want good solid racing with more experienced guys that know how to race safely - go with Tuesday night Vets.

No brainer for me!

• Like 1

In terms of speed I would grade them slowest to fastest as:

A grade vets (equivalent to a back of B grade Wednesday without the associated crashes). These gents race like they have to work tomorrow.

Vikings Thursday (equivalent to mid B grade Wednesday without the associated crashes). It rarely has crashes, but runs 3 grades at once.

A grade Wednesday is the fastest of the week and regularly has some very good mountain biker and NRS riders in there that keep the pace high. They still have a few crashes, but not many (2 a season). You would be unlikely to get into A grade anyway. You would likely start in C grade which is the second most dangerous crit of the week. It is second in crashes only to Wednesday night B grade which is full of some of the worst decision making and skills I have ever witnessed on a bike. It unfortunately has very high numbers because there alot of guys who do their best to avoid getting enough points to go to A grade because the jump between the two grades is so big. They should have a B1 and B2 race with B1 taking the guys who accumulate too many points for B grade but don't want to race a dozen NRS riders and half a dozen elite MTBERs in A grade.

Vikings are running a Sunday afternoon crit similar to Thursdays at the moment also.

Edited by thekeeper

For joining a club, Vets or VCC

(Disclaimer - VCC member, Thursday Night Race Director)

I have heard that the Vets weekend race schedule is a lot smaller than previous years, we have gained a few new members this year who have joined us due to this.

Remember also that if you get a CA licence, you can race (and ride) with any CA club, be it CCC/VCC/ANUCC/ADCC/Goulburn/Jindy/Fit/(other?). If you have a vets licence, you can only race Vets events. (non-shared insurance)

If you contact CA directly, if you have an MTBA or TA licence, you can get a discounted road licence as well (about $60 less or something)

One option is grab a 3race licence and come and try both club races, At this stage of the season it is mostly week night crits. (Touch wood, Thursdays has a lower crash rate than the others)

In terms of speed I would grade them slowest to fastest as:

A grade vets (equivalent to a back of B grade Wednesday without the associated crashes). These gents race like they have to work tomorrow.

Vikings Thursday (equivalent to mid B grade Wednesday without the associated crashes). It rarely has crashes, but runs 3 grades at once.

A grade Wednesday is the fastest of the week and regularly has some very good mountain biker and NRS riders in there that keep the pace high. They still have a few crashes, but not many (2 a season). You would be unlikely to get into A grade anyway. You would likely start in C grade which is the second most dangerous crit of the week. It is second in crashes only to Wednesday night B grade which is full of some of the worst decision making and skills I have ever witnessed on a bike. It unfortunately has very high numbers because there alot of guys who do their best to avoid getting enough points to go to A grade because the jump between the two grades is so big. They should have a B1 and B2 race with B1 taking the guys who accumulate too many points for B grade but don't want to race a dozen NRS riders and half a dozen elite MTBERs in A grade.

Vikings are running a Sunday afternoon crit similar to Thursdays at the moment also.

I haven't run 3 grades at once for more than 18 months, although you are right, there is a large gap between C and B grades (and indeed E and D grades)

While I have asked the riders, the vast majority are happy as it stands and like the format. While I do have executive powers to change things, the current setup seems to be the best we can do with the resources I have access to. (Give me lights on the track, and things would be very different) our A grade also manages to get some NRS riders, decent mountain bikers, indeed, Chole Hosking was racing with us last week, so we have that going for us.

Also note the reason we run multiple grades is so we can have longer races, A/B will be ~53mins this week, C/D will be ~43m (vs maybe 25mins max for the longest Wednesday race this week)

(oh, and the Sunday sessions are only the last Sunday in the month, Jan/Feb/March)

what about a focus on road races not crits (not wanting the risk of crash while doing IM)

CACT race calendar should be approved by now, but I cannot find it on their website

I will contact the race secretary and see if I can get something posted and get back to you on the road season.

If you have any questions about Canberra cycling clubs in general, or VCC in specific, please feel free to contact me via pm, or post here and I will see what I can do.

• Like 1

Generally the NRS riders you get are the ones that get dropped in an NRS race (Phoenix). There are exceptions like Evers, Haas (the once a year he turns up) and a very small number of others. Not all NRS teams are the same. Riders from the decent ones turn up moreoregulary on Wednesdays. The mountain bikers you generally get are good but overall quality is lower than Wednesdays.That is not a bad thing it makes Thursday nights easier for your regular athletes which Barry is who can then get a good workout. Dont take it as an insult racing A grade on Thursdays is much more enjoyable than Wednesdays. The pace is generally steadier and the races go longer. This is more beneficial to triathletes than the nuttiness of Wednesdays. For the record I like Thursdays more than Wednesdays for the atmosphere and not having to be rested up for it and still have fun, but there are some things you can only get on Wednesdays.

Road races are okay in either CCC, VCC or vets. The risk is much lower and makes a good workout if supplemented with a ride to and from the race.

Edited by thekeeper

Generally the NRS riders you get are the ones that get dropped in an NRS race (Phoenix). There are exceptions like Evers, Haas (the once a year he turns up) and a very small number of others. Not all NRS teams are the same. Riders from the decent ones turn up moreoregulary on Wednesdays. The mountain bikers you generally get are good but overall quality is lower than Wednesdays.That is not a bad thing it makes Thursday nights easier for your regular athletes which Barry is who can then get a good workout. Dont take it as an insult racing A grade on Thursdays is much more enjoyable than Wednesdays. The pace is generally steadier and the races go longer. This is more beneficial to triathletes than the nuttiness of Wednesdays. For the record I like Thursdays more than Wednesdays for the atmosphere and not having to be rested up for it and still have fun, but there are some things you can only get on Wednesdays.

Road races are okay in either CCC, VCC or vets. The risk is much lower and makes a good workout if supplemented with a ride to and from the race.

Yep - I think the best statement about the differing levels of NRS riders came from Angus Bell, whose views were posted on cyclingtips a few years ago.

And if you have ever had a chat with me about the differences between Wednesdays and Thursdays, you will find very quickly that the aim is for people to get out and enjoy themselves, if I find a rider who is impacting on others, they get a talking to, if they continue to cause problems, they are asked to not return.

Part of this comes down to two factors, a lack of cash on the line (not to say we don't have prizes, I mean, this year, the plan is to give a Carbon Merida w/ Ultegra as our major prize, plus small prizes) and the longer races. The lack of cash means you have people who come to race, but will be a little more restrained. (there are no sheep stations). The longer races means the race has time to ebb and flow, a wider range of tactics can be applied, you don't have to be over redline for the entire race.

(And as you say, this can be a lot better from a tri perspective. A few years ago, a number of the ACT Juniors use to come out to Thursdays, and pull out after 16laps (20km) and use that as the first half of their brick session, utilising the run track immediately next to the crit track.

sounds like vikings is the vote

If you do come out on a Thursday, comes and say Hi. I'll be the manic guy herding cats.

• Like 1

what about a focus on road races not crits (not wanting the risk of crash while doing IM)

Understandably a 35 minute crit is not high in the importance stakes for a triathlete, regardless of which champion mountain bikers, leading NRS or Phoenix riders are there (whatever!).

Road racing and TTs, Canberra CC is the pick.

Cycling Australia Licence let's you race NSW & Vic. country races as well.

Vets licence is cheaper, but they need to show that they can get their road approvals sorted on time, which was a problem early part of last year.

Understandably a 35 minute crit is not high in the importance stakes for a triathlete, regardless of which champion mountain bikers, leading NRS or Phoenix riders are there (whatever!).

Road racing and TTs, Canberra CC is the pick.

Cycling Australia Licence let's you race NSW & Vic. country races as well.

Vets licence is cheaper, but they need to show that they can get their road approvals sorted on time, which was a problem early part of last year.

Is there a element of pro racing to watch at the crits?Might be worth a look, I don't generally watch cycling, swimming or athletics unless it is the olympics. I know what they do is hard, i'd rather watch basketball or football (soccer). However if there is some elite level stuff going on at the track could be worth seeing them go around.

Crits look interesting there does seem to be a lot of serious injuries, which is my concerrn

wife has banned cycling

Well - That sucks.

From a viewing point, there can be a bit, and it is nice to watch the good people and see how they race, from a tactics point of view, and even just watch road positioning etc., but I would really call it exciting. (might be because I am just too distracted to pay attention)

Well - That sucks.

From a viewing point, there can be a bit, and it is nice to watch the good people and see how they race, from a tactics point of view, and even just watch road positioning etc., but I would really call it exciting. (might be because I am just too distracted to pay attention)

she is claiming too much time commitment with tris and running and work, probably right. Might stil snerak out and do a few road races

Bumping this back up as it is time to go back for the every two year have a go at crit racing. This generally ends badly as I do it badly, do amazing amounts of work to place right at the back and then swear off it forever.

If I remember any rule is it: 

follow wheel in front and don't overlap it

rule 2 don't overtake on the inside?

25 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Bumping this back up as it is time to go back for the every two year have a go at crit racing. This generally ends badly as I do it badly, do amazing amounts of work to place right at the back and then swear off it forever.

If I remember any rule is it: 

follow wheel in front and don't overlap it

rule 2 don't overtake on the inside?

Rule 3: Don't sprint for 15th place. 

• Like 1