roxii

Ironcentury Update Thread

What is even more amazing in the 100-100 is that there isn't a pool in Syd that doesn't open before 6am WTF

• Like 2

Lots of experts with no idea here. I'm sure if the guy was worried about getting bored he would not consider doing 100 stupid ironmans in a row.

• Like 4

I'm sure if the guy was worried about getting bored he would not consider doing 100 stupid ironmans in a row.

Post of the year

• Like 1

Never thought getting bored would be an issue. My daytime job is boring too.

So i think hes down about 3 marathons already isnt he? Thats a lot of extra kms to make up.

Hopefully he comes good soon!

But.....question...... why is a roadbike easier on the vmo than a tri bike?

so gathering from their fb post, John has taken time out to recover, but will get back into it once the VMO recovers... hopefully he's able to recover and string together at least 50 straight, at least set the same record as iron cowboy...

Day 11 / 100 (07.02.17)

***UPDATE***

Debi is coping with general soreness, but her energy levels are high, and her times of each day are incredibly consistent, even in the scorching heat. A few niggly blisters are being managed by changing socks more often and toweling down on the hot days. Debi has also unfortunately developed a slight sore throat over the last few days which is quite normal when the immune system is suppressed, however, Debi is eating lots of superfoods and gargling with betadine to stay on top of her game. Despite today's pesky rain, the cooler temperature is welcomed and Debi is fighting fit.

John took some time out yesterday and went to see Dr Donald Kuah his long time sports doctor. The diagnosis is that the adductor tendon that runs under the VMO muscle is badly inflamed which consequently puts stress on the hamstring and VMO muscle. This was possibly caused by a combination of tired legs and slight misalignment on his cleats. John has received treatment and has been advised to rest over the next couple of days which he is listening too and he will not be putting himself at risk. He is naturally feeling very disappointed.

Both John and Debi are smart athletes and they know what they can and cannot achieve. So when John is feeling better, he will aim for a full IRONMAN every day leading up to Port Macquarie.

Fundraising for the Red Cross Disaster Relief will continue. Iron Century will continue. Debi is now part way through Day 11 and this puts her 19 days away from the WORLD RECORD of consecutive IRONMAN 70.3! And fingers crossed that John will still be able to set a World Record too.

I figured 100 would be a stretch, but thought hed do better than 7 or 8 (or which ever was his last full one).

Not usre how they can say though that the IronCentury is still going on when he wont hit 100 unless he restarts and keeps going after Port Mac. No way he'll be able to make them all up if he takes a couple of days off. Will he?

Eithervway, as AA7 said.

Good try though. And lessons learnt for next time

I figured 100 would be a stretch, but thought hed do better than 7 or 8 (or which ever was his last full one).

Not usre how they can say though that the IronCentury is still going on when he wont hit 100 unless he restarts and keeps going after Port Mac. No way he'll be able to make them all up if he takes a couple of days off. Will he?

Eithervway, as AA7 said.

Good try though. And lessons learnt for next time

Not forgetting, he wanted to Kona qualify at Port Mac. I don't know what times need have to do in his age group to do that, but right now how would his body hold up to allow him to do it? 90 still to go.

He may be a supreme athlete who would put maybe all of us to shame, but this certainly shows firstly how bloody hard a concept this was, and how no matter how you prepare, one little thing going wing can derail it all.

After yesterday's heat ......

30cc8e0a846b8c06ea33c39d9574b6cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That left VMO looks swollen ...

:lol: That's not John.

lol. Yeah but still looks swollen. Then again so does any good cyclists VMO :).

Edited by Mjainoz
  • Like 1

Lots of experts with no idea here. I'm sure if the guy was worried about getting bored he would not consider doing 100 stupid ironmans in a row.

Classic

That left VMO looks swollen ...

That's funnie

I thought everyone knew Mr mergler

Even I know him

I also though MJ knew everyone in Syd

• Like 1

That's funnie

I thought everyone knew Mr mergler

Even I know him

I also though MJ knew everyone in Syd

I didn't even really look as to who it was on my phone and just went straight to a zoom in on the leg .. silly me

Good for them adapting the plan and taking some recovery time. If their big goal is fundraising then it isn't going to make much difference.

Gotta say Debi is looking like the star of the show.

What is even more amazing in the 100-100 is that there isn't a pool in Syd that doesn't open before 6am WTF

Heaps of pools open before 6:00am

5:00am Sydney Olympic Park

5:30am Ryde Pool , Macquarie Uni, West Pymble, Willoughby etc etc

hmmm that didnt get very far...

wait a few weeks, reset the counter and go again changing ironman oz to ironman cairns?

• Like 1

wait a few weeks, reset the counter and go again changing ironman oz to ironman cairns?

I was thinking the same thing.

• Like 1

Good for them adapting the plan and taking some recovery time. If their big goal is fundraising then it isn't going to make much difference.

Gotta say Debi is looking like the star of the show.

Debi was the fastest ag female at Imnz a few years back. She's no lightweight.

Maybe John should switch to 100x half as well.

I didn't even really look as to who it was on my phone and just went straight to a zoom in on the leg .. silly me

As you do lol

Still not gunna get to 100 IM in 100 days

The body isn't capable of handling anything like that

I do wonder if it would help if John were to carry a little more muscle mass ala ironcowboy, the muscles could assist in handling his training load better???

• Like 1

I think doing 50 in 100 would be more realistic, while still mind-blowingly difficult.

ie do a full Ironman, then take a day for recovery, then repeat 50 times. Hard as f@#$ but not so much that it is going to destroy an extraordinarily athletic human body.

5 or 6 in a lifetime will work for me, personally.

• Like 2

I would just eat 100 bowls of Nutri-Grain in 100 days.

In fact I probably did as a kid.

• Like 1

Not much news or updates happening from the IM side of things. Half is still going strong (go Deb)

Word on the street is John has taken a few days off to recover and repair an injury.

Also he may re-start on the weekend at No.1 and push on past Port Mac.

Other gossip (love gossip) is John will restart much later and finish with Cairns Ironman as his last (maybe kinder weather conditions)

Either option is a bloody HUGE task and HUGE ask of his own body and life disruption along with many others.

Love to see it happen though .................. and Ill say it again "if it happens, 100 IM in 100 days, this will be the GREATEST human endurance achievement EVER".

How long does he really need to recover properly from an injury like this, to the point where it's not an issue? I mean, I'm assuming you need more than just letting the pain go away? And if it flared up in just 7 of them (a ridiculous number of IM's in a row) then what can he do to stop it from happening again? I mean, he was taking it easy already (by his standards anyway).

• Like 1

How long does he really need to recover properly from an injury like this, to the point where it's not an issue? I mean, I'm assuming you need more than just letting the pain go away? And if it flared up in just 7 of them (a ridiculous number of IM's in a row) then what can he do to stop it from happening again? I mean, he was taking it easy already (by his standards anyway).

My feelings exactly. If he were to take a break and try again in a few weeks what's to say the same injury - or a different one perhaps flared by favouring the VMO - won't just bring it to a grinding halt again.

It doesn't have the same ring to it but I think an Iron Year - 100 in 365 days might have been achievable. I never saw 100 in 100 as being a realistic goal and the fact that it fell apart so early gives an indication of how unrealistic it was. It will be disappointing for them and good on them for having a crack, but to quote Dirty Harry - "A man's got to know his limitations".

• Like 2

With the heat, rain, and more heat, probably grateful he got injured!

Yep, there would be no joy doing Friday, Sat and Sunday this week all hovering around 40°

I have just this minute (ok 15 minutes ago - 13:50) got off the bike..... it hit 37 degrees in Turramurra. If the forecast for Friday , Saturday , Sunday is correct (45 degrees), then there will be no ironman for the next 3 days.

If there is then expect severe physical repercussions.

I did the first Ironman China - it was a shocker and peaked at 44 degrees. When I got back to the hotel post race some guys who had done the half said.......f$&k you have lost a lot of weight today. And there is no chance I could have backed up the next week let alone the next day!

Need to remeber tho that Debbie still cranking out the halves! No mean feat in this weather

• Like 2

I have just this minute (ok 15 minutes ago - 13:50) got off the bike..... it hit 37 degrees in Turramurra. If the forecast for Friday , Saturday , Sunday is correct (45 degrees), then there will be no ironman for the next 3 days.

If there is then expect severe physical repercussions.

I did the first Ironman China - it was a shocker and peaked at 44 degrees. When I got back to the hotel post race some guys who had done the half said.......f$&k you have lost a lot of weight today. And there is no chance I could have backed up the next week let alone the next day!

Agreed. I did Busso in 2009 when it was around 40 and it was definitely draining. In Sydney at the moment the humidity is killer - I ambled around a short run about 6pm last night and it was just a horrible sweat fest.

I guess the thing Debbie has in her favour is that she can start early and be largely out of the heat. I wonder if they would consider doing it in reverse - run at around 4am then bike then swim.

Not much news or updates happening from the IM side of things. Half is still going strong (go Deb)

Word on the street is John has taken a few days off to recover and repair an injury.

Also he may re-start on the weekend at No.1 and push on past Port Mac.

Other gossip (love gossip) is John will restart much later and finish with Cairns Ironman as his last (maybe kinder weather conditions)

Either option is a bloody HUGE task and HUGE ask of his own body and life disruption along with many others.Â

Â

Love to see it happen though .................. and Ill say it again "if it happens, 100 IM in 100 days, this will be the GREATEST human endurance achievement EVER".

No, James Scott 43 days in the Himalayas with one mars bar owns that.

it's February. Were we anticipating 100 days of heat-free, rain-free weather?

No one should have been. I wasnt. But the weather is a litle freaky