roxii

Ironcentury Update Thread

Day 7 was finished on Day 8...........so as a technicality doesn't that mean that he has failed?

To be technically correct, then yes, id say so. He failed to do a full IM distance on day 7. Yes he made it up onnday 8. But still. Doesnt worry me though.

He is doing 100 ironman distance in 100 days.

Technically he could do a double swim today and no swim tomorrow.

As long in 100 days he covers

380000m swimming

18000km cycling

4200km running

He is doing 100 ironman distance in 100 days.

Technically he could do a double swim today and no swim tomorrow.

As long in 100 days he covers

380000m swimming

18000km cycling

4200km running

Not really. The logo at the top of their page and the blog page reads:

" John doubles up and swims 3.8km, rides 180km and runs 42.2km every day for 100 consecutive days!"

For all the crap he got, the 50 in 50 in 50 ironcowboy had his shit together logistically

Yep

Amazing job for doing this and putting it on the line, but this seems to be a complete logistical fiasco.

This is such an enormous once in a lifetime task you would think they would hire someone (a backpacker in exchange for somewhere to sleep for 100nights?) to hang around and look after all the 1%ers which just seem to be draining them.

Yep again

I am amazed that they don't have someone or two , doing all the sideline stuff

As I've said before , this is made even worse with both of them doing there own attempts

Something like this needs a very very supportive and organised partner , not a partner that's has thier own issues going on from there own attempt

Not really. The logo at the top of their page and the blog page reads:

" John doubles up and swims 3.8km, rides 180km and runs 42.2km every day for 100 consecutive days!"

Correct

These are the small things that needed to be clarified before it started

Personally I don't care if he done all the IMs on the last day as long as he does 100 IM in 100 days

So what happened so he couldn't get day 7 done and what did he do to complete it before day 8?

Yeah he had a niggle (understating) so walked most of the marathon then opted for sleep and recovery, then finished the next day.

Fine with me - there are no rules here - but can't see how piling the work up is going to help in the longer term. This heat can't be good either.

I admire these guys, but honestly it just seems like a great way to wreck your body and I don't believe that it is physically possible / wise.

• Like 1

I was running in Centennial Park around midday today and saw John had pulled over for a break at 100km into the bike, so I decided to stop and have a chat.

Lovely bloke who seemed in relatively good spirits all things considered. Said he was feeling 'as you would expect' after what he's been through. He was on his road bike today as he's been having issues with his VMO muscle (inside of thigh just above the knee).

The enormity of what he's attempting really struck me today. It was absolutely cooking in Centennial Park. It felt like an oven and he was just tapping out his loops and ticking off the kms before leaning into yet another marathon. The recovery cost of these sweltering days must be enormous. It also must be extremely challenging psychologically getting through a tough day like today and realising that you're not yet 10% of the way through.

I was also surprised at how 'lonely' this must be for him. I suppose I assumed he would always be surrounded by a big entourage, but every time he rode past me it was just him and a mate, and there were only a couple of people at his RV. There'll be many dark times ahead when he'll be on his own fighting demons, that's for sure.

There was no suggestion that he wouldn't get through this, and he assured me that he had no concerns about coming into Port Mac IM 'under done'.

I'm in awe of what they're doing and look forward to following their journey.

Edited by Hoffy86
  • Like 1

I was running in Centennial Park around midday today and saw John had pulled over for a break at 100km into the bike, so I decided to stop and have a chat.

Lovely bloke who seemed in relatively good spirits all things considered. Said he was feeling 'as you would expect' after what he's been through. He was on his road bike today as he's been having issues with his VMO muscle (inside of thigh just above the knee).

The enormity of what he's attempting really struck me today. It was absolutely cooking in Centennial Park. It felt like an oven and he was just tapping out his loops and ticking off the kms before leaning into yet another marathon. The recovery cost of these sweltering days must be enormous. It also must be extremely challenging psychologically getting through a tough day like today and realising that you're not yet 10% of the way through.

I was also surprised at how 'lonely' this must be for him. I suppose I assumed he would always be surrounded by a big entourage, but every time he rode past me it was just him and a mate, and there were only a couple of people at his RV. There'll be many dark times ahead when he'll be fighting demons in his mind, that's for sure.

There was no suggestion that he wouldn't get through this, and he assured me that he had no concerns about coming into Port Mac IM 'under done'.

I'm in awe of what they're doing and look forward to following their journey.

arwsome mate

Thanks for the real time update

I wonder if it's worth tweaking the start times to try and avoid the heat

He is sort of stuck as the pool only opens at 6am.

Plus any earlier means he misses out on sleep.

Hoffy, great you dropped by. As I've noticed John seems mentally very together and totally non plused by the task ahead.

• Like 1

He is sort of stuck as the pool only opens at 6am.

Plus any earlier means he misses out on sleep.

Hoffy, great you dropped by. As I've noticed John seems mentally very together and totally non plused by the task ahead.

I was thinking at starting later like a arvo shift and ride and run in the nite

After a few the body would adjust to the new time (zone)

• Like 1

I was thinking at starting later like a arvo shift and ride and run in the nite

After a few the body would adjust to the new time (zone)

Yeah thats a good idea. Or as someone else suggested, switch the order. Run first, ride, swim. Swim then also acts as recovery!

Still 37 here in Sydney even on the coast at 4.35 in the arvo.

Hopefully the weather will get back to "normal Sydney summer" for them from tomorrow.

Crazy stuff that they are still going in this weather. I ran at 4:30am this morning and it would've been easily 26+ degrees.

Maybe in hindsight they should've waited a few more weeks before starting this?

Apparently they did initially talk of doing it in winter.

Maybe when roxii has a crack at 100 in 100 it's what will happen. Winter

Be doubtful re: swimming in middle of the day - its school carnival season. Not a pool near me available during the day until April.

What he should have done is start his swims at 5:00am at Manly Dam under a set course........ ride from there to Centenial park to break the ride up a bit and then run home.......

• Like 3

Yeah he had a niggle (understating) so walked most of the marathon then opted for sleep and recovery, then finished the next day.

All over then. 7 was it? Only 93 short. So close.
  • Like 1

Be doubtful re: swimming in middle of the day - its school carnival season. Not a pool near me available during the day until April.

What he should have done is start his swims at 5:00am at Manly Dam under a set course........ ride from there to Centenial park to break the ride up a bit and then run home.......

Perfect

How far is manly dam?

Roxi is doing it

Isn't that enough for you big fella

Roxii is the last of the true believers, single handedly raising the banner of the sport whenever opportunities present.

Perfect

How far is manly dam?

There are cans that separate the dam between waterski boats and sailboats. I do a swim there around the cans and my route gives me a 2 lap course which gives me 3.5k.

They could easily set an exact course if they wanted too.

Ps: if you swam around the perimeter I believe it's between 5-6 km.

Ride to cent park would be slow. Some hills and steps. Plus am bad traffic. Not ideal for a tired body and time gained would almost be eaten up.

Looking at Sydney's next week they should get on a plane and come to melbourne.

Too many days over 34 could kill him.

Mid 20's here with the exception of one but low humidity.

How far is the Dam from Centennial Park

Yes that was the Q

It's more a time for the commute to get there

Not going well.

But he's not giving up. I guess while he keeps up the swimming and cycling hes still getting donations. And thats the aim right?

Yes that was the Q

It's more a time for the commute to get there

as above.

Got nothing to do with kms. This is Sydney Peak hour from 6am at the top of the spit bridge. Would take and hour fifteen to ride the 20ish ks and has hills and steps at bridge and tradies in Utes and fkrs in BMWs on phones + lotsa lights. Need your head switched on

The way the surf has (or hasnt) been lately he could get into Bondi at dawn and do it there.

Yeah so he's abandoned the running due to injury. Hoping to make it up later. But it's not like he doesn't have other miles to do every day.

Balls of steel to keep cycling with that injury. But I think the 100/100 dream is over.

http://www.mm.events/uncategorized/day-8-support/

And in the blog right at the end very briefly, almost trying to sneak it by? Its a big change, but almost like a small sidenote

Regardless of what's happened, what they've done has been pretty incredible, and few of us could ever dream of such a feat thus far. But it does also show how incredible what CP did was, and how ridiculously unfathomable what the IC did was! We all know how running trashes your body, and you'd have to think the bells are ringing if it's already having such an effect on him.

• Like 1

Doesn't sound at all good to me, but I hope I'm wrong.

Effective recovery on a day-to-day basis is the foundation of these events. Recovery from injury is a problem of another order of magnitude.It is an extremely difficult under these circumstances.

Staying injury-free is key. It's a worry that an overuse has cropped up so early.

• Like 1

John is mentally and phyically tough (or crazy) - could he do teh marathon in water with a belt. Boring as shit, but no worse than round and round Centennial Park.

John is mentally and phyically tough (or crazy) - could he do teh marathon in water with a belt. Boring as shit, but no worse than round and round Centennial Park.Â

I don't think that would really qualify as running a marathon every day.

How's the 70.3 shaping up? He could drop back and settle for that. They could keep each other company and get it done together.

Edited by this_guy32
  • Like 2

How's the 70.3 shaping up? He could drop back and settle for that. They could keep each other company and get it done together.

Or they could split up and spend more time each with their child... be a good compromise for all three IMO. Edited by Mjainoz
  • Like 1

Perfect

How far is manly dam?

19km...... traffic is not that bad...... swim at 5:30 or 6:00am. Be on bike by 7:15am and traffic not great but not bad.... bike would be faster too. It's all about reducing transit times by car and breaking the cycle of repeatedly going around Centennial Park. My limit is 5 loops at best.

19km...... traffic is not that bad...... swim at 5:30 or 6:00am. Be on bike by 7:15am and traffic not great but not bad.... bike would be faster too. It's all about reducing transit times by car and breaking the cycle of repeatedly going around Centennial Park. My limit is 5 loops at best.

Seriously. Have you done that ride at that time of the day ?

And compared it to the ease of rolling around At cent park? Plus they would need to drive to the dam from Randwick in the am.

(FYI I live 300m from the dam and work in CBD (been commuting on and off for 25 years) and often ride in the park).

Edited by Mjainoz
  • Like 1

Perfect

How far is manly dam?

He would have to drive to the Dam from Randwick. Near 30 mins.

Traffic is not good and it's hilly and you would have to walk up the steps on the bridge and negotiate the CBD traffic. Plus your support van would take forever in peak hour. Me thinks this idea is crazy. I live next to the dam and I don't think I would start there. And there's no mention of him being bored.

How would the bike be faster ?

Sorry. Kinda double post. Didn't see the first one so wrote this 10 mins later.

Edited by Mjainoz

I'm with Mjainoz on this one. This is a ridiculous idea. I live down the road from Centennial Park and have commuted to work on the Northern Beaches many times, and even going 'against' the traffic well before 7.15am is a shocker.

It would have been better to do south west. Swim birrong pool, 2 crit tracks and a velodrome within 2k of the pool, and an established marathon route which finishes next to the 'drome.