roxii

Ironcentury Update Thread

20 minutes ago, Wronggenes said:

NSW State of Origin team have just put in a claim for the world record for NSW state of origin teams.

#oneinarow

FTFY

We all know the real Open WR is 8 held by another team.

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

So what ever happened here. What was the final outcome - health, fund raising etc?

Deb got through with the half IM 100 , not a bad effort 

not sure what John did I think about 30 iM again not a bad effort 

don't know what monie  raised was ,

NO PERSON WILL EVER DO 100 IM in 100 DAYs in my opinion 

I guess, my thought here was are they ok etc. We know what happened to the last person who did multiple IM's. Didn't kill him, but I heard that his body was F#&ked ...so to speak.....and then subsequent surgery for a reoccurring injury was the thing that got him.

Hoping their health and bodies are back to normal and doing great.

Some of these ventures are life shortening - even doing an Ironman if it's not backed up with the best nutrition in recovery can be life shortening - doing the Ultraman is asking for health and body breakdown issues :huh:

In endurance horse events they have vet checks at each stage - often the winner is the guy who saves his horse the most - in the 100 mile runs and the Ultraman are there "vet checks" :huh: 

30 minutes ago, AP said:

In endurance horse events they have vet checks at each stage - often the winner is the guy who saves his horse the most - in the 100 mile runs and the Ultraman are there "vet checks" :huh: 

No but they shoot anyone that doesn't finish in the cut off times 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AP said:

Some of these ventures are life shortening - even doing an Ironman if it's not backed up with the best nutrition in recovery can be life shortening - doing the Ultraman is asking for health and body breakdown issues :huh:

I know in the Intrepid Series races they do... they'll pull people out if cognitive function falls or they are in serious physical clip, they're mad though.

15 minutes ago, monkie said:

I know in the Intrepid Series races they do... they'll pull people out if cognitive function falls or they are in serious physical clip, they're mad though.

Cognitive function would have to be fairly low to start with to enter one of these though wouldn't it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Cognitive function would have to be fairly low to start with to enter one of these though wouldn't it?

Hey i resemble that remark. 

Actually i thought we got weighed at the end of each day at UMOZ and looked over by a doctor. But maybe my cognitive function was so impaired i just imagined it...

2 hours ago, ironpo said:

No but they shoot anyone that doesn't finish in the cut off times 

Taking their cue from Stephen king's "the long walk"?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AP said:

At Ultraman Noosa the first year they did.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Taking their cue from Stephen king's "the long walk"?

I love the Bachman books . Still have that one from 1985:huh: Yes Garraty 

4 hours ago, A2K said:

Hey i resemble that remark. 

Actually i thought we got weighed at the end of each day at UMOZ and looked over by a doctor. But maybe my cognitive function was so impaired i just imagined it...

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

At Ultraman Noosa the first year they did.

Come on guys 

dont let the facts get in the way of a good trannie beat up 

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm not sure how jocular this is... I know some awesome people who have done it. Serious athletes. I could take them on the swim, the bike (which is saying something for me) and the run but the mental and full body strength they have me hands down...

And yes, it's not a case of expecting people to be able to do trigonometry after 16 hours on the run but they have a standardised set of simple questions they ask at multiple points and if you can't answer them you're out. Similar to what the SAS now use in selection after they lost people on the Fan Dance.

Edit to add: We had a system at London Marathon and similar which involved core temperature... if you're above a certain amount you ain't going nowhere even to the point of possible sectioning if necessary. But that involves a thing up the you know what so best avoided if possible!

Edited by monkie

4 hours ago, monkie said:

I'm not sure how jocular this is...

It was. I'm the guy who thought "let's ride 300km", so got up at 2am and did it. Full of respect for people that can do this type of stuff.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 9:41 AM, AP said:

As much as you love IM, AP, it's debatable if there's some magical dividing line between IM and Ultraman that makes the latter a significantly greater health risk.

As for 100 milers, it's not unusual for the longer ultras to have some level of medical assessment of competitors en route.

On 11/10/2017 at 2:20 AM, ironpo said:

NO PERSON WILL EVER DO 100 IM in 100 DAYs in my opinion 

Not going to repeat what I posted earlier in this thread, but that's not a very sound opinion.

Harder things have been done.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Not going to repeat what I posted earlier in this thread, but that's not a very sound opinion.

Harder things have been done.

Totally totally respect your opinion on this paul , but I just think the time it would take each day to make multiple ironmans 100 days in a row possible (eg I think to make 100 in a row possible you would have to be taking 15 to 17 hrs each day) doesn't leave enough rest/recovery time

again hence makes iron cowboys 50 IM in 50 states in 50 days just incredible 

14 hours ago, ironpo said:

i think you mean non-credible, in that it never happened.

Or you have to put an * in there somewhere.....

On 12/11/2017 at 6:49 AM, ironpo said:

Totally totally respect your opinion on this paul , but I just think the time it would take each day to make multiple ironmans 100 days in a row possible (eg I think to make 100 in a row possible you would have to be taking 15 to 17 hrs each day) doesn't leave enough rest/recovery time

I too respect Paul's opinion on these issues - and know he is man enough to respect the opinions of others - I agree with IP and as I've previously stated "100 Ironmans in 100 days cannot be done" - the human body, no matter how talented the body is can put up with that much work day in day out for 100 days (even with the best drugs) :huh:

Some of the legendary exploits reported, like ironcowboy's 50-50days could do with some closer scrutiny - legends are often exaggerated stories based on actual facts :huh: 

11 hours ago, Tyno said:

i think you mean non-credible, in that it never happened.

Or you have to put an * in there somewhere.....

So are you inthe camp that believes he never did 50 IM as one of them was done on a elliptical trainer (what ever that is) 

On 11/12/2017 at 6:49 AM, ironpo said:

On 11/13/2017 at 8:17 AM, AP said:

I too respect Paul's opinion on these issues - and know he is man enough to respect the opinions of others - I agree with IP and as I've previously stated "100 Ironmans in 100 days cannot be done" - the human body, no matter how talented the body is can put up with that much work day in day out for 100 days (even with the best drugs) :huh:

Some of the legendary exploits reported, like ironcowboy's 50-50days could do with some closer scrutiny - legends are often exaggerated stories based on actual facts :huh: 

So much unsubstantiated supposition in these posts.

Here are my thoughts:

• We should stop using IronCowboy as measure of what can be done. He is not that good an athlete. Like, we all know a sub 10 hour IM is impossible because IC can't do it, right? Unless you don't believe that anyone has ever been under 10 hours for IM, stop holding him up as the ceiling for what is possible.
  • IC was pretty clueless, he made rookie errors early on which cost him down the track, he had a rookie crew, he traveled state to state with kids in tow, he was distracted by charity and publicity. Hardly factors for an optimum performance. Yet he still almost succeeded in 50 in 50 days. Point being, 50 in 50 clearly isn't remotely near the limits of human endeavour.
  • Better athletes on a fast course would average way quicker than 15-17 hours/day.
  • Even on 15-17 hours/day we know runners can effectively back up for 40 or 50 days.
  • 12-15 hours of S/B/R is way easier than body than 12-15 hours of running. If runners can do it, triathletes would be able to.
  • It's usually the first 2-3 weeks that break runners in long multi-day ultras. When runners establish the appropriate pacing, recovery and routine early, they are more likely to be successful, irrespective of the duration and distance. So we know 50 in 50 can be done, why not 100? If you can get 50 your largely absorbing the workload.
  • If top ultra runners can run better than 120km/day for 40 or 45 days, there is every reason to believe IM can be sustained for longer periods. Refer to the annual Sri Chinmoy 3100 Mile Race or Pete Kostelnick's trans-USA record set last year.
  • Personally, I would approximate running 100km/day would be roughly equivalent as IM/day, although I feel the latter would be more easily sustainable/achievable for either a week, month or longer.
  • Experience counts. Not only for the individual but on a group level within the sport. We're still a long way from finding the limits in ultra triathlon. It is a young, niche sport. With enough talent and time, limitations, records and boundaries will be redefined just like any sport.

I think if you set up a 100 IM in 100 Days on flat, fast loop course in a favourable climate, offered substantial money to anyone who finished (say $500 000, enough to change someone's life), announce a 3 year lead in period (allowing athletes time to build their training and race experience), some athletes would finish. From a field of 20 experienced starters, I would expect at least 5 to 8 finishers.

Sure, that hypothetical scenario isn't going to happen, but that's not what IP and AP are contesting, rather they're saying it's not physically possible. So many indicators would suggest otherwise.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gold post right there  😀

I'd love to see it done , but in the right way ,

nice and quiet and no hash tags every five minutes

when it's set up and ready to go , with the $500k I'll have you as my crew captain paul , as you well know the crew/team is probably more important than the athlete themselves in multiday endeavours 

one thing that ironcentery did real badly (as well as trying to go WAY to hard early) was the lack of support thay had on board 

Back from the dead post

Is John and his Mrs still doing the sport or did this epic challenge, end it for them?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Back from the dead post

Is John and his Mrs still doing the sport or did this epic challenge, end it for them?

they have had another kid by the looks of it