Toolish

Achilles Tendonitis

I have a heel insert from the phyio however she recommended stretching due to the tightness in my calves.

The pain has mostly gone away now, so looking to start a strengthening program, not sure really what that would involve. Physio recommended calf raises and that was about it. I am wondering about straight leg or standard dead lifts, lunges, squats?

No running for a while yet!

If the pain has mostly gone away then you can progress the loading strategy. An example of what you might want to do is alternating days with isometrics (up on to your toes and hold for 40ish seconds) and heavy slow resistance (as per Parkside's advice). Heavy slow resistance (HSR) best done as calf raises in a Smith Machine and don't be shy with the weight. Looking at 5x5 reps (you can play a little with the reps and sets) at a HEAVY weight (though not so heavy that you are getting the shakes during the rep.

Below is an example of the week's specific rehab for the tendon

M/W/F isometrics

Tu/Thur/Sat HSR

The above is working on the energy storage (i.e. capacity) of the tendon. You want to increase its capacity. You will then progress on to tendon energy transfer/release stage (plyometrics, skipping, and much more fun stuff!).

Some important markers of how you are going are monitoring your pain/stiffness first thing out of bed in the morning, and also in the first 24hrs after your HSR workouts. If you are getting an increase in either of these things you need to adjust the program.

Cam.

6 weeks after the flare up and I had my first run a couple of days ago. 30 minutes on the treadmill going easy! Loved being able to run again!

Achilles is probably better now than it has been for about a year, stupid me waited for a full flare up to do anything about it.

Thanks everyone for the help, the following is what helped me.

Early on, Ice, rest, a heel lift and taping with Rock Tape.

Later on stretching and loading, heel lifts mainly.

The last step, which made a big difference for me was rolling the arch of my foot on a food tin. I am wondering if it stemmed back to a tight plantar fascia.

Either way, the morning stiffness in my Achilles that was just part of life seems to be on the way out.

• Like 3

Yup this. I had AT for a 2 months and couldn't run more than 200m without it flaring up, phyios were treating the calf, but it didn't help. Rest did nothing. Eventually I went to a highly recommended sports physio and he immediately identified tight hip flexors as the problem. 3 days later, after some treatment and stretching I ran a few kms pain free and 10 days later was running 10km+. It's OK to ask others and Dr google to get an idea, but with tricky injuries like this you really need to go to an experienced, reputable professional not just your local physio. You may have to pay double and wait a few weeks to get in to see them, but it will be worth it.

Zed - which sports physio did you go and see?

6 weeks after the flare up and I had my first run a couple of days ago. 30 minutes on the treadmill going easy! Loved being able to run again!

Achilles is probably better now than it has been for about a year, stupid me waited for a full flare up to do anything about it.

Thanks everyone for the help, the following is what helped me.

Early on, Ice, rest, a heel lift and taping with Rock Tape.

Later on stretching and loading, heel lifts mainly.

The last step, which made a big difference for me was rolling the arch of my foot on a food tin. I am wondering if it stemmed back to a tight plantar fascia.

Either way, the morning stiffness in my Achilles that was just part of life seems to be on the way out.

Good to hear. I think mine went out in sympathy of yours. Finally went to physio after OD race in Canberra. I reckon the beach run in Tassie was my tipping point.

Anyway, 3 weeks off, with icing, stretching and eccentric heel lowers (all weight on dud achilles on lower, use other to rise back up).

First run 2 days ago - 5km on treadmill.

I know what you mean.......felt good to run again!

Still some stiffness, but homefully on it's way out. I can give it more rest after my next race mid-March.

• Like 1

I had AT in both feet and a heel bursitis in one, took ages to get right. I read that a lack of blood flow means healing through resting alone is very slow. I used orthotics in Asics gt3000 which themselves have had a large heal to toe drop. This combined with eccentric heel drops worked after 3-6months. As others have noted, heel drops were advised for mid-AT not insertional AT. I also had a nuclear scan of my hips which showed a lot of one sided repair work going on due to dormant glutes. They are still pretty crap but I have learnt how to activate and strengthen them, also increasing run cadence seems to have pushed my breaking point further our, meaning I can handle a higher training load. I ditched the orthotics a few years ago and now run in light weight stability racing shoes.

I haven't had a change to get to the physio yet, will do on Friday. Just wondering what's going on with my Achilles and whether or not I can run on it. I've been running around 50 miles/week for the last 4 months, after previously only doing around 25miles. I've had no injury issues. I've mostly been only doing easy - moderate stuff, with a little bit of speed work, not much. But I did a duathlon sprint at the weekend and my Achilles was sore the next day when I woke up. I was limping. I stretched the calf out and rolled it and it felt fine. That was Monday. It feels good today. And the Achilles tendon and area isn't sore if I pinch it. I can feet a little pain quite deep in the Achilles if I point my foot down. Is this the start of Achilles Tendonitis? 

3 minutes ago, zed said:

I haven't had a change to get to the physio yet, will do on Friday. Just wondering what's going on with my Achilles and whether or not I can run on it. I've been running around 50 miles/week for the last 4 months, after previously only doing around 25miles. I've had no injury issues. I've mostly been only doing easy - moderate stuff, with a little bit of speed work, not much. But I did a duathlon sprint at the weekend and my Achilles was sore the next day when I woke up. I was limping. I stretched the calf out and rolled it and it felt fine. That was Monday. It feels good today. And the Achilles tendon and area isn't sore if I pinch it. I can feet a little pain quite deep in the Achilles if I point my foot down. Is this the start of Achilles Tendonitis? 

Swelling 

3 hours ago, zed said:

I would recommend rest until you get to a physio.

Be really really really careful with any achilles issues. I have been managing one since 1993.

48 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

I would recommend rest until you get to a physio.

Be really really really careful with any achilles issues. I have been managing one since 1993.

I went for a light 5km run just then, which turned into a 10km run as it felt OK... 

I've never had an Achilles issue until last April. I ran a few fast 5ks in May / April and my right Achilles started to play up. I was managing it with reduced mileage, physio, tape, and massage for 2 months until it really flaired up after a half marathon in July.

Then a doctor I run with told me to try rubbing Rectogesic cream on to it 4 time a day. Achilles was better in 3 weeks and I ran a full marathon 2 months later without an Achilles problem. 

Rectogesic cream is for people who have just had hemorrhoid operations, it greatly increases the blood flow to where it's applied. It won't help most injuries but because your Achilles is so close to the skin it often helps here. Not too cheep at $35 but it lasts a long time as you only use a little each application. You don't need a script but the chemist wouldn't sell it to me at first when he quizzed me why I wanted it and I needed to talk him around. 

Anyway it worked for me.

Edited by Mike Del

53 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

I've never had an Achilles issue until last April. I ran a few fast 5ks in May / April and my right Achilles started to play up. I was managing it with reduced mileage, physio, tape, and massage for 2 months until it really flaired up after a half marathon in July.

Then a doctor I run with told me to try rubbing Rectogesic cream on to it 4 time a day. Achilles was better in 3 weeks and I ran a full marathon 2 months later without an Achilles problem. 

Rectogesic cream is for people who have just had hemorrhoid operations, it greatly increases the blood flow to where it's applied. It won't help most injuries but because your Achilles is so close to the skin it often helps here. Not too cheep at $35 but it lasts a long time as you only use a little each application. You don't need a script but the chemist wouldn't sell it to me at first when he quizzed me why I wanted it and I needed to talk him around. 

Anyway it worked for me.

I've had a mate who used hemorrhoid cream for some injury, can't remember what it was, but he said it worked! Thanks

Just went and bought some Rectogesic Cream ($29 for a medium sized tube) from the chemist, the pharmacist asked me if I know how to use it, and if its been recommended by a doctor. 

I told her, that i'm using it for my achilles, as I've heard it helps with blood flow to the area, she giggled and said OK, I paid, and i've already applied it once.

I'll let you know how it goes!

4 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

Just went and bought some Rectogesic Cream ($29 for a medium sized tube) from the chemist, the pharmacist asked me if I know how to use it, and if its been recommended by a doctor. 

I told her, that i'm using it for my achilles, as I've heard it helps with blood flow to the area, she giggled and said OK, I paid, and i've already applied it once.

Yeah I bought some too. Had to wait till the chemist emptied first though :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

I told her, that i'm using it for my achilles, as I've heard it helps with blood flow to the area, she giggled and said OK, I paid, and i've already applied it once

I dont get it. If uv just had some roids snipped, wouldnt you want to decrease blood flow? Not increase it?

1 hour ago, Turts said:

I dont get it. If uv just had some roids snipped, wouldnt you want to decrease blood flow? Not increase it?

I think that's what it does, reduce inflammation and blood flow. It's also great for wrinkles, blemishes and muscle appearance! 

https://www.livestrong.com/article/184256-other-uses-for-hemorrhoid-cream/

On 13/10/2017 at 4:03 PM, Mike Del said:

Anyway it worked for me.

7 hours ago, Suburban Kid said:

Ok. So increases or decreases then?

Would Anusol from the supermarket do the same thing without the akward giggling?

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Would Anusol from the supermarket do the same thing without the akward giggling?

Not sure?

The Doctor told me Achilles has an extremely low blood flow and heals very slowly. He said The Rectogesic cream increases blood flow and speeds up healing. 

I sould have mentioned a small side effect I experienced. While using the cream 4 times a day I would wake every morning with a slight headache but it would always dissipate in 10 or 20 mins. It does mention headaches on the tube.

Treat Cold Sores

You can treat cold sores around your mouth using a tube of hemorrhoid cream, according to the Hemorrhoid Treatment website. You don't want to use hemorrhoid cream on your lips or inside your mouth to prevent irritation, but if you have a painful cold sore near your mouth, try applying a small amount of topical hemorrhoid cream to reduce swelling. Allow the cream to absorb into your skin for a few minutes, then wipe off the remainder so you don't accidentally ingest any of the cream.

Want to make sure that you are the first one to use the tube.  :lol: