Suburban Kid

Time Trial areas around Sydney

Just wondering if anyone had any good TT locations around Sydney. I currently ride either on my trainer, or from Freshwater / Manly, up to Mona Vale, then out to West Head and around Mcarrs, up to St Ives, down to Bobbin Head (around those areas).

There are quite a lot of hills, but I'm looking to find some areas that you can be down in aero for a while, I drove down the south coast, and sutherland looked relatively flat, i've also heard of Kernell, Centennial Park, and even out at Penrith Regatta (where 70.3 is held), or even the m7 bike path.

Anyone have any suggestions, or links to maps?

The M7 is where I take my TT for a good time (and a long time) in the aero position. I've also driven to West Head, parked-up and gone back and fore on the quiet and quality road a few times (yep, know it's not flat).

There's also a TT takes place on Peats Ridge - here's a link to the location and profile: http://www.atta.asn.au/maps/calga.html

I think there's places the other side of Galston Gorge that some use - I know gregb rides there, but I've only been through there on my roadie (wouldn't do the descent on my TT through the gorge) and not as a dedicated TT route.

M7 bike path, you will find you need to slow down a lot for the corners, and there are lots of them. Also, mind the runners and walkers, and kids, and dogs. M7 road surface though could be a goer, apart from cars and trucks, but I find them more predictable than kids or dogs. You will need to cross over exits and entries though.

Regatta Centre is great when the full loop is open - 4 laps will get you 20k which should be a 20min FTP plus a warm up, depending on how fast you are. The bike loop is separate from the walking loop, but go early as later in the morning you will encounter the BBQ users and I've almost taken out people not paying attention. You can check the website to see what parts are open. My +1 does his tests there. There is a 15km/h speed limit, but rarely enforced, they can't even be arsed checking for helmets most of the time!

M7 bike path is fine, heaps of people use it for training but if you want to full on TT it might not be perfect. It has a few corners but so will every race you do.

Don't ride on the M7 roadway - people have been cleaned up and killed there and it's just not a smart thing to do when there is a purpose built bike path metres away. Frankly I think bikes should be banned from the M7 roadway but that's another story. It's too dangerous, especially if you intend smashing yourself and being down in the bars.

Kurnell is fine and you'll have plenty of company most weekends - there are cars but they seem a bit more tolerant because they're used to the amount of bikes

Regatta Centre is ideal if you just want flat riding but there is a 20kph(?) speed limit. Obviously not an issue through the week when you're likely to be the only person there but on the weekends when there's lots of kids around it may be enforced. It is boring as bat shit if you want to go long - I did 140k there one day and almost fell asleep :sleep1:

Calga TT has a decent reputation but I've never been there so can't comment more. Lots of people from here have been there though.

If you want something a bit our of left field, join a cycle club and go to a training session at the velodrome - you can smash yourself and the conditions are perfectly reproducible for comparison's sake..

Hurstville Oval.

Kurnell

Heathcote-Sublime Point return is 52km no traffic lights, some undulating decent climbs but middle 1/3 of the course is flat stick aero bar heaven. Park at Heathcote Station and you have no lights and bike lane the entire way.

• Like 1

For a short section closer to home try Sommerville Rd at Hornsby Heights.

About 4km of quiet, wide suburban road from the lights at Galston Road to the bus turning circle. You can extend the loops by incorporating the Galston Road section between the Old Pacific Hwy and the top of the Gorge, though that adds a little bit of traffic to the ride.

For a short section closer to home try Sommerville Rd at Hornsby Heights.

About 4km of quiet, wide suburban road from the lights at Galston Road to the bus turning circle. You can extend the loops by incorporating the Galston Road section between the Old Pacific Hwy and the top of the Gorge, though that adds a little bit of traffic to the ride.

https://www.strava.com/routes/6554080

Take your road bike past the bus turning circle, it is sealed down to Crosslands Reserve. The climb back out will make you work.

• Like 1

Just wondering if anyone had any good TT locations around Sydney. I currently ride either on my trainer, or from Freshwater / Manly, up to Mona Vale, then out to West Head and around Mcarrs, up to St Ives, down to Bobbin Head (around those areas).

There are quite a lot of hills, but I'm looking to find some areas that you can be down in aero for a while, I drove down the south coast, and sutherland looked relatively flat, i've also heard of Kernell, Centennial Park, and even out at Penrith Regatta (where 70.3 is held), or even the m7 bike path.

You doing the Terry Hills to Duffy's and back ? Only 15 mins but not a bad area.

I like Parra Park but it has a hill. Cent park at the right time of days ok (respect the crossing area in kid time ).

• Like 1

Don't ride on the M7 roadway - people have been cleaned up and killed there and it's just not a smart thing to do when there is a purpose built bike path metres away. Frankly I think bikes should be banned from the M7 roadway but that's another story. It's too dangerous, especially if you intend smashing yourself and being down in the bars.

The M2/M7/M4 breakdown lanes are some of the safest places to ride on the road, bar none. And I'll even go as far to say that I've had more problems on the M7 pathway than the roadway - at least there isn't dogs or random unpredictable pedestrians (It's a MUP afterall). And sometimes even other bike riders who do their damnest to have a head on around some of the corners. Use some common sense at the ramps and frankly the freeway breakdown lanes are just simply put, safer and faster than just about any other place to ride.

The only reason I might ride on different routes is debris can be an issue for tyres. But safety concerns? No more than driving on them.

The M2/M7/M4 breakdown lanes are some of the safest places to ride on the road, bar none.

Sorry, that's bullshit

Judging by some of the news footage its right up there with the M1 and Appin Rd for big truck crashes.

I've ridden the M2 and M4, quite some years back now with some mates. Never again. Ever. High speed, high traffic volume roads are never a good idea on a bike. The years of rehab for a mate smacked from behind in a hit n run on the M2 just reaffirmed my thoughts on that.

Reality is that good TT training locations are scarce in Sydney, and the few that are OK might take hours to get to depending on where you live.

I used to do all my outdoor TT work in Centennial Park, but nowadays that's pretty difficult to do consistently with the much greater public usage, speed monitoring, ped crossings and the inconsiderate bunch behaviour of many training groups in the mornings.

Kurnell is OK if the bogans haven't done their weekly glass bottle smashing exercise on the bike lane.

Kurnell is OK if the bogans haven't done their weekly glass bottle smashing exercise on the bike lane.

The increased property values and closure (for the most part) of the refinery means a lot of the bogans have cashed in and moved on so it has improved somewhat.

• Like 1

The M2/M7/M4 breakdown lanes are some of the safest places to ride on the road, bar none. And I'll even go as far to say that I've had more problems on the M7 pathway than the roadway - at least there isn't dogs or random unpredictable pedestrians (It's a MUP afterall). And sometimes even other bike riders who do their damnest to have a head on around some of the corners. Use some common sense at the ramps and frankly the freeway breakdown lanes are just simply put, safer and faster than just about any other place to ride.

The only reason I might ride on different routes is debris can be an issue for tyres. But safety concerns? No more than driving on them.

I have ridden more than my share of miles on highway shoulders over the years, including plenty more sketchy than Sydney's motorways, though the M7 is one I will not ride.

But that comes down to principle rather than safety (or lack there of).

The M7 bike path is the best piece of public cycling infrastructure ever built in Sydney (and most probably NSW). If we expect or hope governments to continue to invest in such projects, we, as cyclists, need be seen to preferentially make use of the bikepath over the breakdown lane. If cyclists are consistently seen to be happy enough to use the motorway shoulder, why would any government or private investor consider incorporating such facilities into future plans?

• Like 1

OT but nice to see Paul contributing, brings much value to the place, something positive during a very sad week

• Like 2

ÃÂ

I know 4 that have been cleaned up by trucks on the M5 alone. Truck drivers travel the m5 and m7 after a 12 hour+ trip juiced up on who knows what... you'd be nuts to chance it these days! Edited by Chookman

I ride around the same area and there really isn't much in the way of flat roads around us, but we improvise with loops of certain areas. It works best if you wake up early to get it done (beats riding indoors!).

This morning we started at 4am and did a 45-50min effort loop pretty much 100% flat roads.

Starting from Manly you can warm up to the bottom of the hill near Collaroy shops and ride towards Narrabeen Lakes, veering left onto the Wakehurst Pkwy.

Follow the road until the last electricity pole just before it gets really dark (not safe) and do a u turn. Head back the same way and back on to Pittwater Rd towards Mona Vale, where you will u-turn just before the hospital hill.

Back to Collaroy and u turn where you started then you can head the same way via Wakehurst Pkwy but on the return trip rather than u turn at the hospital hill keep going towards Church Point.

That's about 45mins worth of riding with little to no interruptions if you're starting early enough.

Other than that it's either laps of Church Point or laps of Duffys. There's also a stretch of road on the way to Bobbin Head that you could use but I find it gets busy due to coffee shops & pedestrians around.

Still it is pretty safe you just have to be alert.

• Like 1

The increased property values and closure (for the most part) of the refinery means a lot of the bogans have cashed in and moved on so it has improved somewhat.

The abattoir / brick pit / timber yard / dump area were good. Then someone decided to have an Olympics there. Stuffed Homebush up good n proper. :)

The abattoir / brick pit / timber yard / dump area were good. Then someone decided to have an Olympics there. Stuffed Homebush up good n proper. :)

There used to be a good 1/4 mile "time trial" circuit there back in the day.

• Like 1