Diamonds

Thredbo

Just had a week there. Agree.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Same.

Did you try the trails at Bungarra? Paul built those too and they are great. Also Tyrolean village.

Missed Bungarra again due to their limited "open times" not suiting. Did TVT day 1, 3 full days gravity (even had 4 runs on a DH rig for a laugh) then rode Old Mill creek network at Jindy day 5. Love those trails either side of the dam wall, especially after being battered from 19 runs on the mtn. Three Lions is good fun at the Tyrolean end of the Mill Ck stuff. Not sure if there is more past there.

Edited by Diamonds

Yeah. Was very tempted to do their New Years Eve race but I had heard reports it gets super hot out there.

I do love the diversity of the riding down there for a trip away. Quality gravity and XC stuff easily available. A pity it isnt closer to me.

You are in a good spot to get there regularly, but then you don't have my local trails so maybe it is pretty break even. Saw Josh Carlson out today on my ride and even he said our locals are a match for anywhere in the world and he loses nothing at all training back here.

You should think about getting on a Greenvalleys shuttle day. That is pretty hard to beat for gravity stuff and easier on the pocket than Thredbo.

• Like 1

Yeh, Not alot of downhill trails here, but alot of quality XC.

Edit: Than again, you have Tuggeranong pines and Fadden pines for some good stuff.

Edited by thekeeper

Looking at going down after ANZAC day for a few days to ride trails. Will be myself who likes XC and son who just goes down fast.

Any recommendations on accomodation?

Rory,

You have two choices really.  Each day in the Nat Park has a fee.  So you can stay in Thredbo and pay for the whole time, or stay in Jindy and only pay the fee the days you want to ride Thredbo.

The XC riding in Jindy is decent http://www.rollingground.com.au/trails/tyrolean-mill-creek/  Probably not to your young blokes liking though.

I dont mind the riding at Lake Crackenback either but it isnt overly technical.  You can google maps. 

Thredbo itself is awesome and there is good testing XC stuff for free around the village while the chairlift gravity stuff is so good.  A former prominent frequently barred exTrannie has a 1 bedder there which you may get at a discounted rate if you PM me (not sure if available but can ask).  

It probably depends if you have a car.  No car, Id stay Thredbo.  Good gravity and XC on site.  You can ride the Thredbo Valley Trail (more fire trail style than single track but super scenic) down to Lake Crackenback for more XC.  Your young bloke will love Thredbo.

Diamonds

thanks, we will just suck up the costs as a bit of a treat trip for him (and me, that in truth why we will go there),

I will ride the flow and other tracks okay as well as the XC ones at Thredbo so should be good. Joseph will just love the long flow runs from the chairlift. Will be interesting to see how he compares it to Rotorua, the runs look longer, 

We will also be hiring a bike for him, so will probably go downhill or 160mm travel.

Hope you got some rides in RD.  Lifts closed today and probably tomorrow.   Hope you hooked in yesterday.   If not, push em to the top anyway.

I just saw the update on the rain and possible snow

We leave tomorrow (Wednesday) head down Going to Stromlo on way day and riding loop 2, then arrive Thredbo late afternoon.

We can ride in the valley if lifts closed. We are there riding thurs, friday, sat so hopefully get a day or two in on the lifts. or will end up shuttling the valley trail possibly

The Village Loop and Friday Flat loops are on the lower slopes.  If you look at the map they pick up the base of the AM trail under Merretts chair lift.  This gets you across the hill for the finish of Flow anyway.  I have a mate who has ridden the entire Flow backwards before the lift starts in the morning to get a free run in when he hasnt had passes.  Might be something to consider seeing as you have gone all that way.  I would get to the top somehow if I was in your shoes. 

The Golf course loop has a connector loop back to the last bit of Flow which is a series of berms into a couple of tabletops.  The kids do endless pushruns up this section so it may interest your young bloke.

The TVT is scenic but not pure singletrack.  

Google "Tyrolean Mill Creek" and print the map if you want another single track option.  If you have an eagle eye, immediately before you cross the dam wall at Jindabyne and again on the drive into Jindy itself you can see those trails on your right.

Anyway, hope it clears for you and you get a full day in.

Oh, if you do Tyrolean Mill Creek, skip the black trails on the lower slopes.  It is not that they are too hard, it is my experience they are rarely ridden so often tight with overgrowth and dont flow so well.  Very tight.  The main trails flow really well.  You will enjoy those.

Diamonds

Thanks heaps for the above, we will try them out if plan A isn't a go're

Today was fantastic. only flow and downhill open. Did 11 circuits of the flow. About 6000m of decending and minimal pedalling.  Was alot of fun. I was riding on the limit of my ability and confidence.

Yesterday rode north of Jindabyne which were great xc single track. The bike shop a Jindabyne was great old school style. We did some shuttles on the pink trail and filming for my son. 

• Like 1

Saturday the All mountain was open as well, that was great, allot of varied descending. The trail took me about 35 min to descend with a few stops.

My arms were shot from the previous day and every corrugation in the trails hurt. The flow trail was getting very corrugated. I didn't ride the downhill but my son did and said there were no jumps and was really rideable and a little more advanced than the flow trail. He also really enjoyed the All Mountain Trail despite having to peddle occasionally.

While the trails were fantastic, it was a bit limited as to the number of trails on the hill. Would have loved to do the Thredbo Valley Trail as well.

I think if going again stay in Jinabyne; Thredbo was expensive and boring to stay in. 

For a return 3 day trip I would. Ride Thredbo Mountain first day, second day ride Jinabyne and surrounding area on XC/enduro to give upper body a rest and see more of the place, possibly ride Thredbo Valley Trail if can get a shuttle/ride. Third day go back to Thredbo and ride again.

Off the places my son has ridden (remember he lives in NZ), his preference was Rotorua for the variance of trails, or Queenstown again for the greater number of trails. Thredbo with another 3 trails descending would be as good as Queenstown and the distance of the trails would win it out. In saying that the offer of another trip to Thredbo would not be turned down.

Tip: make sure your breaks are in top condition as you could both the flow and downhill trails without peddles on a single speed. The bike shop at Thredbo doesn't carry a huge range of spares, but you could rent the ideal bike there (160mm dual suspension)

A couple of joints run TVT shuttles.  One collects at Lake Crackenback resort.

I agree an extra few trails would be nice but I also do the DH trail so can mix it up.  It isnt quite no jumps. There is the tabletop halfway then the jumps park sequence shortly after and then the finish.   

I was going to ask how your arms were after 11 runs on day one.  The AM is my fave too.  11 flows on day one would have got a tad monotonous.