Peter

What's with so many drownings? Nsw

Just saw another guy drowned today in the blue mountains.

17 now in nsw in the last fortnight.

24 country wide.

Crazy.

We have generations & nationalities whose survival instincts and outdoor skills are so blunted, they should not be allowed out of the house.

Inconvenient truth I'm afraid.

Actually, scratch that. I just remember some of them jerry-rig gas bottles to heaters inside their house & blow themselves to Hell.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 1

Not to be callous, but signs like these are usually there for a reason

http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=71536#entry1229008

Submerged rocks, deep holes, watch your children etc.

See in the 60s/70s/80s we knew this stuff, and did a reccy on any swimming hole we were about to launch into from height BEFORE doing so.

We saved our eldest from drowning twice as a toddler by watching her near water ALL THE FRICKIN TIME.

People today are just dumb as sh*t in the natural world, probably because they don't get out in enough.

Â

See in the 60s/70s/80s we knew this stuff, and did a reccy on any swimming hole we were about to launch into from height BEFORE doing so.

Â

We saved our eldest from drowning twice as a toddler by watching her near water ALL THE FRICKIN TIME.

Â

People today are just dumb as sh*t in the natural world, probably because they don't get out in enough.

Snap. 70,80,90's

We had the toddler of a foreign PhD student drown here in a concrete lined 'creek' 2m wide, 1m deep right in the main park in the middle of town recently.

Parents had entrusted her to the supervision of a 10 YEAR OLD RELATIVE FROM O/S!

She was in the water 20mins before anyone noticed.

FFS

• Like 1

I heard something the other day about lifesavers training refugees in water safety.

Were dumbfounded that when they lost their footing, their response wasnt even to put their feet down again

For all the crying about 'helicopter parenting' the reason all these toddlers and kids are dying is simply lack of supervision. FFS get your head out of your phone and watch your kids.

The one at Maroubra really sh!ts me. Why the hell was a 14 year old kid, I'll guess with little swimming ability, out in sloppy seas at 8.30 at night well after the lifeguards have packed up? That was a drowning just waiting to happen.

We have generations & nationalities whose survival instincts and outdoor skills are so blunted, they should not be allowed out of the house.

Inconvenient truth I'm afraid.

Actually, scratch that. I just remember some of them jerry-rig gas bottles to heaters inside their house & blow themselves to Hell.

Maybe there should be a simple survival test (you know, something like a live electrical cable and with an insulated glove beside it, and the person is told to move the cable) before you are allowed to breed.

I've recently been doing some work that revolves around drowning prevention/rescue. The statistics are insane, over 1000 people a day die from drowning. The numbers are skewed between developed countries and others of course.

I am amazed, even in the UK about how many younger parents do not have an emphasis on teaching their kids to swim, mainly because a lot of them can't swim themselves.

We've taken ours to Water Babies ever since she was 10 weeks old. Costs a fortune (£160 every 10 wks) but for us, it's not even a decision on whether it's worth it.

• Like 2

For all the crying about 'helicopter parenting' the reason all these toddlers and kids are dying is simply lack of supervision. FFS get your head out of your phone and watch your kids.

ÃÂ

The one at Maroubra really sh!ts me. Why the hell was a 14 year old kid, I'll guess with little swimming ability, out in sloppy seas at 8.30 at night well after the lifeguards have packed up? That was a drowning just waiting to happen.

Only thing with the phone thing is it's very geographic Central - 17 of 22 in Nsw but agree with you. Though in theory the spread should be more even State wise.

Just spent a week or so on a beach and whilst my kids are old and I don't take my phone to the beach, plenty do and ignore their kids.

Edited by Oompa Loompa

I pulled a 4 year old out of the pool last week. There were about 30 people in the pol at the time. . I knew he was going to get into trouble as he started getting "kangaroo eyes in the lights" look. Watching and seeing your kids are 2 different things. The father thanked me.

FM

• Like 2

Water safety/competency & learn to swim should be compulsory.

Parents who don't have their children taught to swim can go to the same corner as the anti-vaxxers IMHO.

• Like 2

Water safety/competency & learn to swim should be compulsory.

Parents who don't have their children taught to swim can go to the same corner as the anti-vaxxers IMHO.

It is very expensive to teach kids to swim.

I pay $23 for 20 minutes once a week. Not to mention the time to drive there and back.

I think it's well worth it, but not everyone does.

But if you have a pool, you are dumb not teaching a kid to swim

• Like 1

I currently have a job going where the clients have a survival swim school they run from there house for new babies toddlers up to about 8 year olds.

Its intense think its 15 min 5 days a week for 6 weeks or so the kids scream but by the end of it they throw them in the water with clothes on they just roll over and float on there back until you pick them up.!

Its amazing to see .

My kids all swim now but if I didnt have a pool or was going to do the squad thing for them id throw them in that for sure.

I wonder how many of the 5 could have prevented these...

Fence the pool

Shut the gate

Teach your kids how to swim - it's great

Supervise, watch your mate

Learn how to resuscitate

We must never lose sight of those. They work and they are important.

As for such a large amount in NSW, such a large population. But still over that I'd say.

just bought a place down at Cape Woolamai - specifically because of easy access to a safe beach but with a surf beach close by for when the boy 6 gets older/stronger/better. He just started nippers. I cant stand to watch some of the inattention of parents and the complete lack of respect/knowledge for the power of the rip/waves. Dont get me started on inattention!!

I pay $23 for 20 minutes once a week. Not to mention the time to drive there and back.

Why don't you save the $23 and teach her yourself?

Why don't you save the $23 and teach her yourself?

Kids don't listen to parents because we don't know.. haha.

I tried to get my eldest to swim with me it was like blood from a stone. threw him squad no worries.

Was trying to teach him to surf what would I know! Paid for surf groms every week loved it did everything they said!

• Like 2

Kids don't listen to parents because we don't know.. haha.

I tried to get my eldest to swim with me it was like blood from a stone. threw him squad no worries.

Was trying to teach him to surf what would I know! Paid for surf groms every week loved it did everything they said!

^^^^ This

I'm about to get my daughter skateboard lessons.

My wife also mentioned last night, swimming lessons should be re-introduced at schools.

$23 once a week. That's a packet of fags.

Sorry kids.

Looking at it from the economic perspective rather than the human perspective, you won't get much change, if any from $5k for a funeral. A few $23 a week there.

But I get what you're saying.

It's all the costs of being a parent, you can't afford it, don't have them.

Diamonds is right, baby bonus should have been vouchers for swimming lessons. Not a voucher to Harvey Norman.

We had swimming lessons at school, but I was already swimming by then anyway.