Sign in to follow this  
ComfortablyNumb

Why millenials are fused to their Smartphones

Look how scary the real world is !

Yarro%20Sign_zpsnx0kf72e.jpeg

Went out for a quick fishing reccy for a potential cod spot & came across this gem.

FFS we used to do all that shit and more before breakfast in the 70's :lol:

• Like 1

"Yarrowock - A smart place to be"

But for all you dumb-arses here is a quick refresher in common sense.....

These signs are becoming more common as governments and private land holders aim to protect themselves from litigation.

Have a look at the case of Ernest Vairy on the NSW Central Coast.

Long story short, he was out one day and saw a heap of kids jumping off the rocks into the ocean. He did the same, but misjudged his jump. Pulled out of water and ended up a quadriplegic.

He subsequently sued Wyong Shire Council (for tens of millions) because the Council had not provided enough safety warnings. The Councils argument in court was that jumping off rocks 10 metres into the sea was inherently dangerous and it was stupid to suggest that the Council should warn against every possible dangerous activity.

Council lost.

I worked for the Council at the time and the first thing they did was to erect hundreds of signs at every reserve/park/beach identifying as many risks as possible ....

This is all the stock standard 'don't take responsibility for your own actions, everything is everyone else's fault' and why we can't do shit now days cause it's too dangerous. And why our insurance's are so bloody expensive.

• Like 1

Same thing here. Clearly someone else's fault. Don't worry about the handbrake or leaving it in gear.

Edit to say it's about a car that rolled off the manta ray barge on the weekend.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/vehicle-slides-off-fraser-island-ferry-into-water-near-beach-20161231-gtk8pr.html

Now what would have happened if it had rolled forward?

Edited by Rocket Salad
  • Like 1

Stuff like this really whines me up!

I think its only going to get worse look at USA dick heads sue dick heads heads just for looking the wrong way!

We should pass a law that you can't sue if you dont have common sense.

I found the one on the Central Coast (mentioned above) quite bizarre.

As I said, I worked at the Council at the time it was sued.

I can't recall the specific details, but from memory the court judgement held that Council was 60-70% responsible for the accident, and compensation was calculated on this basis.

I found that very strange.

A fully grown, educated, adult .... with full faculties and entirely in control of his own actions (ie he wasn't a child, he was not mentally handicapped in any way, he was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol), drives to the coastline, gets out of his car, changes into his swimming gear. Of his own free will walk to the top of a 10 metre cliff and launches himself into the sea.

He breaks his neck and ends up in a wheelchair as a quadriplegic.

And someone else is 70% responsible??!!

I just don't get it.

(look, its really sad and all - it must be terrible for the guy. But I don't understand how someone else can be completed responsible for something that only you had 100% control over? maybe there is a lawyery type person on here who can shed some light on how this works?)

he was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol),

This part I struggle with. If some idiot decides it's a good idea to ingest any type of recreational drug, including alcohol, why should they be judged in any civil or criminal case to not be responsible for their actions? Shits me no end hearing of someone getting injured in an accident and the offender is put into a diversion program because they were on ice at the time without a conviction recorded.

Again, no responsibility. Send the message that if you take the drugs than you are responsbile for all of your actions, even when on them and see if people start to shape up a bit quicker

• Like 1

There was a recent and very sad story of a little girl being killed in a car crash, when the driver of the other vehicle was apparently distracted by using FaceTime on their iPhone, that was made bizarre when her family launched a case against Apple for knowingly producing a product that could distract drivers from being in control of a vehicle, and allege that Apple had a responsibility to invent technology to disable its use by drivers.

I'm not in the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" camp - in my mind it's clear that guns DO kill people.

However, I'm not sure I can be convinced that Apple-FaceTime killed this little girl, as much as some irresponsible f*wit that should have known that using a mobile while driving would endanger others.

• Like 1

These signs are becoming more common as governments and private land holders aim to protect themselves from litigation.

Long story short, he was out one day and saw a heap of kids jumping off the rocks into the ocean. He did the same, but misjudged his jump. Pulled out of water and ended up a quadriplegic.

He subsequently sued Wyong Shire Council (for tens of millions) because the Council had not provided enough safety warnings. The Councils argument in court was that jumping off rocks 10 metres into the sea was inherently dangerous and it was stupid to suggest that the Council should warn against every possible dangerous activity.

Council lost.

I worked for the Council at the time and the first thing they did was to erect hundreds of signs at every reserve/park/beach identifying as many risks as possible ....

Similar situation at Little Narra years ago. Council ended up putting up signs informing the public that 'jumping off of a cliff was dangerous'. :shocking:

Council lost.

Yeah, similar thing happened when I was growing up near the Murray River.

Lots of gullys etc which were only full of water in floods. This kid jumps HEAD ****ING FIRST into one when it was "full of water"....becoming an instant quadriplegic. Sued the local council.

Friggin stupidity at it's best. Everyone one who had grown up around that river knew that you never entered the water head first, without slowly walking in etc because it had powerful currents which could make a swimming spot ok one weekend,the next there would be a Red Gum just below the surface.

It's all about liability. Disappointing.

In the UAE if you hit and kill a pedestrian you are thrown in jail and ordered to make payments to the family of the deceased. The issue of fault or blame is NOT taken into account. So, for example, if someone wants to commit suicide and runs in front of your car you are still liable. (Remember this when you are making the choice between hiring a car and self driving or just taking taxis)

I put this to an official there and his response was "Someone has to pay for the family", and - he seemed surprised that anyone would see it differently.

(note that Dubai passed a law that prevented this happening on the main drag as it was becoming way too prevalent)

I suppose that the insurance issue above is just a Western representation of the same approach, really. Someone ultimately has to pay - so who has the deepest pockets? - a kind of capitalist NDIS?

The world is a strange place sometimes....

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1