Sign in to follow this  
Tyno

Cheapie bikes

I'm contemplating a very cheap MTB.

Starting out at things like the Fluid bikes at anaconda, Reid MTB or possibly a Merida Big 7/Big 9 20 type of deal.

It would primarily be a commuter, with possible/probable service on wide trails like Daisy Hill.

I'm not really going to go much above $500.

Something like a Giant ATX2 would probably be max $.

Any thoughts/experience at the bottom end of the MTB spectrum?

Not really keen on buying something that's will fall to bits on the first bump.

If they are all hopeless, I'll spend the money on fixing my old roadie or my TT bike.

Your a big guy 100 kg plus, is that right?

The components of a cheap bike break very easily. As I learned. But a good MTB is one hell of a good investment.

I reckon a used bike with some quality original components is better than a cheapie....maybe $1000 or under? It shouldn't matter what brand.

I'd agree with Kamal that a cheaper decent second hand bike would be better value than buying something new that is just rubbish. However... there are probably a few bargains to be had buying new older models and demo bikes, particularly if the price reduction is from cosmetic damage such as scratches or damaged paintwork etc. You'll soon add a few scratches and marks anyway so it won't make much difference. I reckon you'll get something decent for $500 if you hunt around.