TenPints

Bike Accident - Mona Vale Rd

Just driven past what looks like a major crash on Mona Vale Rd, Sydney. Bikes all over the place, but no cyclists and lots of cops.

I think this is the same place PeePee went down some time ago, and there's been a few others I know of on this same corner.

Hope anyone involved is OK!

Bikes all over the place, but no cyclists

I don't understand.

Were they self riding bikes?

I think the point is they have all gone to hospital in an ambulance

Exactly mate, it's worrying when there's bikes and no riders...only one place they'll be...

There was comment on social media that the car was travelling in the opposite direction to the group of cyclists and turned right off the main road, in front of the cyclists..... cyclist went into the left side of the car.

I noticed from photos that a few of the bikes were tri/TT rigs.... so assuming potentially a tri club?? This is a guess from me, but when i saw the bikes its the first thing i thought...

Edited by TryTriB4Forty

There was comment on social media that the car turned right off the main road, in front of the cyclists..... cyclist went into the left side of the car.

I noticed from photos that a few of the bikes were tri/TT rigs.... so assuming potentially a tri club?? This is a guess from me, but when i saw the bikes its the first thing i thought...

This is how I understood it too - car was turning right and she had nowhere to go and T-boned it pretty badly - there appeared to be quite a bit of damage to the car.

Bike definitely had tri-bars.

About 30 years ago I saw an almost identical accident with a motor bike. We were in a line of stopped traffic on the old pacific highway and a van about 3 ahead of us got impatient and hung a u-turn directly into the path of the bike doing 100k the other way. We tried CPR but the rider died right in front of us - you don't forget these things - it was horrific. I feel for the people in the bunch as well as for the family and friends.

Just been speaking to a friend who knew the person through running/swimming together. Yes, Canadian, and worked as a Doctor at Royal North Shore. Thought with her family and friends.

Just been speaking to a friend who knew the person through running/swimming together. Yes, Canadian, and worked as a Doctor at Royal North Shore. Thought with her family and friends.

I'm tempted to say a great loss because she's a Doctor but it's just a great loss regardless. Even worse that she's from overseas. I can't think of anything worse that receiving that phone call from the other side of the world...

Yep terrible loss regardless.

I have over the years ridden with cops, ambos, Dr's, surgeons etc and I often say when challenged by folks about cyclists that the person they think is "in their way and should be run over" may well be someone they rely on to save the lives of themselves or their children some day.

• Like 3

This is a common spot. I nearly got cleaned up there a few times. It's usually cars coming out of Woodlands Ave who can't judge the cyclist's speed. But turning off MV Rd into Woodlands is something that should never of been an issue. You have heaps of time to judge your turn and great visibility...........and they could easily judge how fast a cyclist is moving.

Not the time of year you want to have these things happening....... (and we don't want them happening at any time of the year).

Are these minor mistakes drivers are making or complete f**kups, inattention, using phone, driving way too fast etc that are resulting in these kinds of accidents? Perhaps if it's the latter, they need to start sending people to jail.

A few weeks back i was running on the footpath when a car reversed out of a concealed driveway right in front of me and another pedestrian. I gestured where the horn?

He wound down window and told me to get off the FOOTPATH WTF? Then proceeded to want make fight outof it

FB, some people choose not to take any responsibility in that fashion. Years ago was walking home from the train station at night on the footpath when a car turned into the house I was walking past, just missing me. Driver told me it was my own fault for not carrying a torch or being lit up more so he could see me (as his car lights apparentely were not enough, nor the street lights). You don't win with those type of people and they are beyond learning a lesson, so don't waste time with them directly.

A few weeks back i was running on the footpath when a car reversed out of a concealed driveway right in front of me and another pedestrian. I gestured where the horn?

He wound down window and told me to get off the FOOTPATH WTF? Then proceeded to want make fight outof it

If he wanted to make a fight of it just run and leap feet first at the door as he is half way out of it. Full body force and weight behind it (I learnt this move as a kid watching Tarzan and I used it a couple of times and it worked well on bigger kids). This is killing 2 birds with 1 stone, when done right you'll damage him and the door. Sorry I meant I advocate solving problems through peaceful means and you should have explained the footpath is for people.

Sad sad news for the Canadian woman and her friends and family. The roads in Sydney continue to get busier. 20 years ago you could ride out to Waterfall at 6am and hardly see a car, today the peak hours starts around 5.30am hitting a peak around 7.30am with traffic backing up 1km from the Oliver St lights next to Heathcote station. I won't ride back along the highway by myself anymore the safer option is riding north through the Park even with the mad Bundeena locals through to the Audley entrance/exit. The mountain bike sees a lot more use these days. If you can, get one, and get off the road as often as possible. You might just dodge a bullet.

I never venture that far down as I turn into Pentecost Ave and head down towards Bobbin Head Road. On my way back a few times as I got through St Ives it goes to 3 lanes of traffic, I was on the left with nothing to my right and a van came right up behind me, probably 1m behind my bike, honking his horn. I eventually went up onto the footpath (which is pretty dangerous riding at 25-30kph), and the guy in the van drove straight past me with him and his girlfriend just staring at me - People like that just make my blood boil!

Such a sad story about what's happened, people in cars don't seem to understand they have over 10x more weight than the cyclist, and also the force behind them from accelerating. I agree with the above comment by Peter - I never chance my arm with a bigger vehicle just because the 'law' says I'm in the right.

Edited by Suburban Kid

This news really made me feel sick I rode on Mona Vale road that same morning. So sad for the family and all the riders involved.

Hope there is a proper investigation into this one.

Edited by TrinewB

Take it somewhere else you pair, someone has died.

A bit of respect please.

Agreed - I think this thread could be tidied up a bit...

• Like 1

Hurry up automated cars, solves most of these problems.

Condolences to the family of the unlucky lady

Prefer not to say what I do for a crust these days, some on here know, but I can tell you that riding bikes, surburbia, driveways, parking spots, school zones, roundabouts, shopping centres, merging lanes simply isn't good and it's only a matter of time till you come unstuck at them..... just time. It will simply happen, then it will largely depend on how you land as to wether you just get up, have broken something, have brain injury or are dead. If your helmet comes of at first impact, say on the side of a van or car, because it's lose or not done up, second impact can be life altering.

If you can avoid riding a bike in a suburbia, you should.

Appreciate people love it, so if you know your exposure to harm, you take on and accept that risk but to discount that exposure to harm is naive in the extreme. Always assume people will not see you because they don't, people don't set out to maim people on bikes but they do with the immortal words "I didn't see"... just about every time which is always true, because as said, decent people, normal people, don't hit bike riders deliberately.

it doesn't matter if you are in the right on a bike, you lose when hit, always ride in such a manner to increase your chances of survival and pay real close attention to vehicles around you whenever everyone isn't going in the same direction. You can't do much when someone collects you from behind but if every other direction, you have a chance of influencing the outcome.

And black is a dumb colour to ride in on the road, real dumb but appreciate some need to look cool or are carrying a bit of weight.

Respects to the Canadian doctor and family, so sad and words cannot do justice.

• Like 7

Well said Oompa, that's one of the best posts I've ever seen on this site :thumbsup:.

It's also a timely reminder that Christmas is a particularly bad time for this stuff. More riders, more distracted or effected drivers and a terrible time to be dealing with injuries or loss. Do what you can to be as safe as reasonably possible, accidents do happen!

• Like 1

The mountain bike sees a lot more use these days. If you can, get one, and get off the road as often as possible. You might just dodge a bullet.

And much more fun. As I continue to improve I'm now taking out the Mrs MTB around the UNE track. They just finished a beginners 'Kermit' loop which is perfect for MTB numpties like me. And no car worry.

Prefer not to say what I do for a crust these days, some on here know, but I can tell you that riding bikes, surburbia, driveways, parking spots, school zones, roundabouts, shopping centres, merging lanes simply isn't good and it's only a matter of time till you come unstuck at them..... just time. It will simply happen, then it will largely depend on how you land as to wether you just get up, have broken something, have brain injury or are dead. If your helmet comes of at first impact, say on the side of a van or car, because it's lose or not done up, second impact can be life altering.

If you can avoid riding a bike in a suburbia, you should.

Appreciate people love it, so if you know your exposure to harm, you take on and accept that risk but to discount that exposure to harm is naive in the extreme. Always assume people will not see you because they don't, people don't set out to maim people on bikes but they do with the immortal words "I didn't see"... just about every time which is always true, because as said, decent people, normal people, don't hit bike riders deliberately.

it doesn't matter if you are in the right on a bike, you lose when hit, always ride in such a manner to increase your chances of survival and pay real close attention to vehicles around you whenever everyone isn't going in the same direction. You can't do much when someone collects you from behind but if every other direction, you have a chance of influencing the outcome.

And black is a dumb colour to ride in on the road, real dumb but appreciate some need to look cool or are carrying a bit of weight.

Respects to the Canadian doctor and family, so sad and words cannot do justice.

You've been reading my mind Oompa. I just would not cycle on roads in a large city in Oz anymore. And I'm still trying to figure out how Noosa is the Tri capital of the world With all the twisty streets, visibility-blocking vegetation and 126 roundabouts, it looks like the stuff of cycling nightmares? Maybe there are some nice long clear straight bits I've not seen yet?

But Main Beach is great for open-water swimming - enjoyed that y'day....though was trying to remember if any of the recent shark attacks had been at Noosa!

Whilst I understand what Oompa is saying, and sort of agree (I certainly take all precautions with flashy lights in the daytime and light coloured clothing and trying to avoid dangerous routes as much as possible. However, I think its a sad state of affairs when our society has got to a point where we can't do anything outdoors (and certainly can't let our kids outside to be active on a public street/footpath) lest we might end up dead or injured.

There are some pretty terrible comments on various media sites about this poor lady - the regular stuff about how she should not have been riding on a road/so fast/in dark colours/numerous other victim blaming excuses.

I often wonder if this was a truck that pulled in front of a car and killed someone whether the response would be the same on various media outlets?!

Imagine a heap of truck drivers getting on social media, just after a semi-trailer ploughed into a car killing a few people, and declaring that its the fault of the car driver who is now at the morgue..... car drivers should really turn headlights on, avoid busy intersections, and only drive during business hours. Basically, its your own fault if your car ends up under the wheels of the truck at an intersection. After all.... that truck was delivering things, and trucks pay heaps of rego and insurance ..... they should have right-of-way against car drivers who were probably on their way to the beach or some other leisure activity..... why should truck drivers have to look out for cars who don't even NEED to be on the road.

And dark coloured cars are stupid. If you get killed by a truck when driving a dark coloured car its basically your own fault.

Stupid car drivers deserve to die.

• Like 3

"Mr Vanneste said the intersection where the crash occurred should be investigated, to ensure such a tragedy is not repeated."

I don't know the intersection, but we have a "dangerous" intersection near where I live, dozens of accidents, a motorcyclist was killed a few months ago and another was hit and almost died (I witnessed this), but it's nothing to do with the intersection. It's not a complex task navigating a turn in heavy traffic, the standard of driving in Australia, especially WA is pretty poor, throw into the equation the fact that we live in a very selfish, self-absorbed society where people care little for other road users, you inevitably end up with accident hot spots like this. Solution is to improve the standard of driving and heavily penalise incompetent and dangerous drivers, especially the road ragers.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

Same thoughts Zed....

Not far from where I live a poor lady (In her 30's with 4 young kids - I think she worked as a midwife) was killed when crossing the road to a restaurant (Central Coast NSW).

Lots of locals come out and said that the road needed re-designing, it was dangerous etc....

BUT, it is a 50km/h road, and it was wet, the car hit the poor lady at something like 80km/h ....

Maybe the answer is just really enforcement of driving legislation - driving seems to be seen as a 'right' that magistrates are reluctant to take away from people.

My wife was nearly killed about 10 years ago by a guy who already had is licence suspended, driving an unregistered/uninsured car .... and he was about twice the legal alcohol limit. My wife survived with about 3 years of physio on her knee/back and will never be 100% physically again (she can't snow ski, for example because of her knee). The drunk drivers partner was trapped in the wreckage and was in a coma for a fortnight. Driver got a suspended sentence ..... WTF??

Same thoughts Zed....

Not far from where I live a poor lady (In her 30's with 4 young kids - I think she worked as a midwife) was killed when crossing the road to a restaurant (Central Coast NSW).

Lots of locals come out and said that the road needed re-designing, it was dangerous etc....

BUT, it is a 50km/h road, and it was wet, the car hit the poor lady at something like 80km/h ....

Maybe the answer is just really enforcement of driving legislation - driving seems to be seen as a 'right' that magistrates are reluctant to take away from people.

My wife was nearly killed about 10 years ago by a guy who already had is licence suspended, driving an unregistered/uninsured car .... and he was about twice the legal alcohol limit. My wife survived with about 3 years of physio on her knee/back and will never be 100% physically again (she can't snow ski, for example because of her knee). The drunk drivers partner was trapped in the wreckage and was in a coma for a fortnight. Driver got a suspended sentence ..... WTF??

Yep watching those RBT shows just makes me angry when you see people who already don,t have a licence getting their licence suspended. WTF???

As far as Im concerned anyone caught driving while suspended should have whatever car they are driving crushed, and make them pay for the process.

• Like 3

And literally 30 seconds after I wrote that post (above) a notification has popped up on facebook to say that there will be a public meeting to demand an upgrade to said road in the wake of the unfortunate accident that killed that poor lady 6 months ago....

We are holding public meetings to demand changes to a 50km/h road to prevent accidents ..... but no comment has been made about the young driver who was doing 30km/h over the sped limit (in the wet) at the time.

Its as though the driver has no responsibility in this 'accident' what-so-ever. We have a society that seems to think cars are almighty and everything else should bend so as not to impede car travel .....

• Like 2

Yeah that is insane. The person who has broken the law very quickly becomes the victim and it's all about ensuring he/she doesn't suffer too much and can get their life back on track ASAP, people lying in the hospital beds are soon forgotten about....

Edited by zed

As far as Im concerned anyone caught driving while suspended should have whatever car they are driving crushed, and make them pay for the process.

Problem is, half the time it's not their car. They haven't stolen it of course (because that would be a serious offence), it's just "unlawful use".

Yep watching those RBT shows just makes me angry when you see people who already don,t have a licence getting their licence suspended. WTF???

Took the words out of my mouth. I watched RBT last night and I can't believe the total arrogance, apathy and stupidity of the people getting caught. Plenty of them just don't give a shit and that's why riding is dangerous.

I can honestly say I've never felt at risk because of the road - but there are hundreds of times I've felt at risk because of idiot drivers. I have been deliberately forced off the road twice by idiots and a couple of times by accident - and that's not to mention being verbally abused, spat on and having shit thrown at me.

It's all very well to say it's our right to ride on the road but I don't want to be the guy whose headstone reads "died while in the right".

• Like 2

Just back to the details of the accident.

News article just published in SMH says she was a keen triathlete who had completed IM Canada.

She was a Dr who had just been accepted into obstetrics at Royal North Shore hospital - due to start her new job in a few weeks.

Such a terrible loss .... and just before Christmas as well.

Terrible...

This was last weekend where I live.

They don't saw how long or exactly where.

Recently Williamstown Police conducted a traffic operation in the Hobsons Bay Police Service area utilising Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) technology.

During the operation they detected the following offences:

4 x suspended/disqualified drivers

3 x breach alcohol interlock condition

16x unregistered motor vehicles

3x expired drivers licences

3x learner driving without experienced driver

1x breach licence conditions

2 x fail to display L plates

2 x Fail to display P plates

1x Fail to wear bike helmet

1x use number plate not issued to the vehicle being driven

1x use hand held mobile phone whilst driving

Hobsons Bay Police will continue to focus on Road Safety over the Christmas holiday period so please remember to follow the rules and drive safely.

Surely unrego cars should just be sold for scrap on the spot. And the 4 people on disqualified licences should just go to jail for 30 days.

Other offence can be excused with a fine in my books. Mistakes happen. ie move, letter lost blah blah

• Like 1

Car licences are seen as a right, not a priviledge and nothing will change until that single point changes. I would just about bet 90% of you know someone that has gone to court after losing their licence "as they need it for work" and the court re-instates it. Nothing is taken into account that the fact they habitually sped, did drink driving or were plainly incompetent to have lost their licence in the first place.

Car licences are seen as a right, not a priviledge and nothing will change until that single point changes. I would just about bet 90% of you know someone that has gone to court after losing their licence "as they need it for work" and the court re-instates it. Nothing is taken into account that the fact they habitually sped, did drink driving or were plainly incompetent to have lost their licence in the first place.

Yep, and the fact that most of society looks upon those that get caught and lose their license with sympathy especially those "unlucky" enough to be caught drink driving.

Well there is some nuance to it. Dramatic measures like jail, crushing the car, and even suspending the licence will cause problems too.

These people aren't generally - generally - in the best socioeconomic place to start with, and depriving them of the means to make a living, and of their dignity, is going to make them even more marginalised and even more likely to do reckless things that endanger others.

Not a bleeding heart response. I get as angry as anyone else and I'm very rattled by this poor young woman's death. I am Canadian and I ride on that road. I would love to have the driver hung from the nearest streetlight. But that isn't going to help and will probably make things worse.

I'm humbled by her partner's clear eyed and rational plea so soon after losing someone he loved to such stupidity. He is right and we need to make the roads safe from idiots and cater for the lowest common denominator of people who don't care about anyone but themselves. Sad but true.

Edited by PaperMan
  • Like 1

Well there is some nuance to it. Dramatic measures like jail, crushing the car, and even suspending the licence will cause problems too.

These people aren't generally - generally - in the best socioeconomic place to start with, and depriving them of the means to make a living, and of their dignity, is going to make them even more marginalised and even more likely to do reckless things that endanger others.

And this is exactly it.

There are cases of people who will keep driving on a suspended licence, those who have had a small amount of jail time for driving offenses, who habitually re-offend with driving infractions. Reality - gaol hasn't stopped them in the first case, what can you do to them to stop them from reoffending?

In many cases, they really don't have any money, so fines, or even crushing their cars (repossession for remuneration to the gov would be a better option, but still not enough) isn't going to make this better, and it won't stop the serial reoffenders.

So - other than finding a new landmass and shipping off any convict who has done something including or worse than stealing a piece of bread, anyone got any ideas?

what can you do to them to stop them from reoffending?

Keep taking their cars and crushing them.

After the 10th car they might rego one.