Jump to content
Supamau

Iron cowboy documentary trailer

Recommended Posts

I seen the trailer a month or so back

Also The whole doco was gunna be available then on line but not watchable here

Not sure if that's changed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DNF'd in cozumel and made a 20 min race report video justifying why. I'm not hating. He made a clear argument why he chose to pull the plug. A reminder of how the distance can bite, no matter how much experience you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have a copy of the complete show?

 

The thing is it's $19.99 US to watch.

 

If the guy made it $5, I'd pay it. But 19.99, its too much.

 

Sure if Kylie Minogue was in it, I'd drop that coin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

The thing is it's $19.99 US to watch.

 

If the guy made it $5, I'd pay it. But 19.99, its too much.

 

Sure if Kylie Minogue was in it, I'd drop that coin.

 

Pay the money. You have plenty of coin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finally watched this. 

I had to vpn before buying. 

It was pretty good. The guys a rockstar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iron cowboy, the story of the 50 - 50 - 50 coming to Netflix July 12

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goughy said:

Iron cowboy, the story of the 50 - 50 - 50 coming to Netflix July 12

Australia or USA? 

I cant see it in this months aus nz Netflix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a notification of what's coming soon from my Netflix app on my tablet, so I'm guessing it has to be in Australia???

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool. I can’t see it in the monthly releases on the Netflix site but pretty happy if its coming  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nealo said:

Watched this this arvo.

Super impressed he got through it.

Agree.  Luck played a part too. 

His two mates and sponsor were incredible.  

People were arseholes too him. 

I doubt we will ever see someone do it again. 

Overall 4/10. But worth watching if nothing else is on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Agree.  Luck played a part too. 

His two mates and sponsor were incredible.  

People were arseholes too him. 

I doubt we will ever see someone do it again. 

Overall 4/10. But worth watching if nothing else is on. 

4/10 is harsh. For a sports doco it's pretty good. There are a lot of rubbish Sports docos!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched it last night & thought it was pretty good.  I'd heard the stories about him ( late to ironman ) but was interesting to see everything going on.   The fatigue levels....oh my! 

Did not inspire me one little bit to give another ironman a go !

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He also does some good public speaking events, Would you pay $$$ to listen to him talk and how much would you pay? asking for a mate :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

 

Did not inspire me one little bit to give another ironman a go !

Same. Which is weird, because I watch the drug documentaries & I’m inspired to become a coke dealer 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sebee said:

He also does some good public speaking events, Would you pay $$$ to listen to him talk and how much would you pay? asking for a mate :P

Yes. Up to triple figures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched this last night...

Pretty nuts all round - and I think I can see both sides of the issues. Without a doubt a freakish and incredible effort and feat of endurance... but was it strictly speaking 50 IM in 50 days, no... (but I'm not sure that that really matters or I care enough one way or t'other)...

The other thing that struck me was the post-script of the film was that he raised $75,000 for charity... which I appreciate is a decent chunk and a lot more than most of us ever will, but, that seems to be an awful lot of effort (and infrastructure required) for not a huge amount of money raised?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, AJS said:

he other thing that struck me was the post-script of the film was that he raised $75,000 for charity... which I appreciate is a decent chunk and a lot more than most of us ever will, but, that seems to be an awful lot of effort (and infrastructure required) for not a huge amount of money raised?

Did he do it to raise money for charity, or did he raise money for charity while he was doing it? If the former, then yeah, you're right. If the latter, then $75k is better than a poke in the eye. 

I wonder how much Ashley raised on her attempt?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Did he do it to raise money for charity, or did he raise money for charity while he was doing it? If the former, then yeah, you're right. If the latter, then $75k is better than a poke in the eye. 

I wonder how much Ashley raised on her attempt?

Word on the street is that he's advising Ashley in the lead up to another attempt in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, A2K said:

Word on the street is that he's advising Ashley in the lead up to another attempt in the future. 

Like he offered to first time & she knocked back because she knew it was going to be easy.

I wonder how much of his advice she'll heed? If she makes a real attempt using his advice, she'll look like a different person before she even starts it. And going by her instagram, she still looks the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched it on the weekend and whilst it was an awesome effort I couldn't help but think he was on growth hormones and or steroids. He had a very distended belly for someone of such low body fat-much like many of the modern bodybuilders with HGH Gut'

Image result for hgh gut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, more said:

I watched it on the weekend and whilst it was an awesome effort I couldn't help but think he was on growth hormones and or steroids. He had a very distended belly for someone of such low body fat-much like many of the modern bodybuilders with HGH Gut'

Image result for hgh gut

He was drug tested due to being a member of usat due to so many claiming the same thing as you. 

His results were clear. He posted them at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eco challenge. Use to love watching this before mark burnett stumble on making many many millions with survivor. 

22799C92-F78F-441D-BED9-3311E69FF331.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/07/2019 at 6:58 PM, Peter said:

He was drug tested due to being a member of usat due to so many claiming the same thing as you. 

His results were clear. He posted them at the time. 

clear at that time, on that day....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Trier said:

clear at that time, on that day....

True. But does it really matter even if he was doped to the eyeballs?

He didn't actually "Claim" a record officially. (Feel free to prove me wrong but there is nothing on guinness book of records)

He didn't take anyone's spot to a World Championship event.

He has fully moved on from it and doing other things in life.

I don't believe he was on EPO etc...  

He did a few days of IV Saline drips but I can't find in the rules of doing 50-50-50 where it said thats not allowed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloody hell we like to shoot people down around here....

The guy could have done it on an Ebike and its still a freaking monumental achievement, and more than any human has ever done before.

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/07/2019 at 2:32 PM, more said:

I watched it on the weekend and whilst it was an awesome effort I couldn't help but think he was on growth hormones and or steroids. He had a very distended belly for someone of such low body fat-much like many of the modern bodybuilders with HGH Gut'

Image result for hgh gut

Or maybe he's just had 4 kids. That's my excuse! 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Or maybe he's just had 4 kids. That's my excuse! 🙄

If that's what it's done to your stomach, maybe I need to have 4 kids.

 

 

I suppose if I had 4 kids I wouldn't be able to afford all the junk I eat now, so I would have a slimmer stomach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If that's what it's done to your stomach, maybe I need to have 4 kids.

 

 

I suppose if I had 4 kids I wouldn't be able to afford all the junk I eat now, so I would have a slimmer stomach.

Ba ha ha! I never photograph it after I've eaten!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With ECO Challenge his next goal, I happened to stumble across these 

Hard Core back in the day.  Still hardcore

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2 August 2019 at 9:40 AM, Peter said:

True. But does it really matter even if he was doped to the eyeballs?

He didn't actually "Claim" a record officially. (Feel free to prove me wrong but there is nothing on guinness book of records)

He didn't take anyone's spot to a World Championship event.

He has fully moved on from it and doing other things in life.

I don't believe he was on EPO etc...  

He did a few days of IV Saline drips but I can't find in the rules of doing 50-50-50 where it said thats not allowed.

I just watched it and give it a 4/10. I don't think he was on any mainstream PEDS. You couldn't go that long day after day and take PEDS without having some serious health issues. The IV thing is a bit of a beat up. There are some ultra marathon events like Marathon de sables that have specific rules against the use during competition, of IVs. I think there were some keyboard experts trolling the iron Cowboys efforts and trying to undermine him and his team. Targeting IV use and using an elliptical machine because a hurricane was blowing shit around outside, is just nonsense.

Lesson from the docco, do your planning and due diligence, especially for fund raising, before you set off. i did like the fact none of his support crew bailed on him and his sponsor didn't pull the pin, but went the other way and increased their support to his effort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen the doco.

From what I can recall, there was some significant sponsorship controversy surrounding the Jamie Oliver Foundation.

Sorry, but if you're looking to set a running or riding record (official or otherwise), a treadmill, elliptical or windtrainer doesn't cut it. Sure, continue from then on as a fundraising endeavour, or for other personal goals, but at that point you're shifting the original parameters that you laid out.

I don't think for a moment he was on PEDS, only because he doesn't strike me as someone who would. It's not the nature of the event that precludes PED use, it's the integrity of the individual athlete. If professional cyclists training for and racing the grand tours can take PEDS for years without apparent adverse effects, I see no reason why someone attempting challenges like this can't.

Full credit to him for what he did achieve though. Although he didn't totally nail his original objective, he did go very close and demonstrate that it was an achievable goal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Greyman said:

Lesson from the docco, do your planning and due diligence, especially for fund raising, before you set off.

Absolutely.

From following it on Slowtwitch at the time, he definitely appeared to be winging it early on and making some basic errors. But he and his crew learned as they went, albeit with some errors of judgement along the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I haven't seen the doco.

From what I can recall, there was some significant sponsorship controversy surrounding the Jamie Oliver Foundation.

 

Jamie Oliver foundation was the charity the fund raising was supposed to be for. No one spoke to the foundation prior to the start date. That got sorted out post haste but, poor darts on the due diligence front.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

I haven't seen the doco.

From what I can recall, there was some significant sponsorship controversy surrounding the Jamie Oliver Foundation.

Sorry, but if you're looking to set a running or riding record (official or otherwise), a treadmill, elliptical or windtrainer doesn't cut it. Sure, continue from then on as a fundraising endeavour, or for other personal goals, but at that point you're shifting the original parameters that you laid out.

I don't think for a moment he was on PEDS, only because he doesn't strike me as someone who would. It's not the nature of the event that precludes PED use, it's the integrity of the individual athlete. If professional cyclists training for and racing the grand tours can take PEDS for years without apparent adverse effects, I see no reason why someone attempting challenges like this can't.

Full credit to him for what he did achieve though. Although he didn't totally nail his original objective, he did go very close and demonstrate that it was an achievable goal.

 

I would bet money he was on PEDs. Heck we have no good, age group hacks getting pinged, why would anyone be surprised if someone who achieved a feat like this wasn't on something. 

Even something like testosterone would have a massive effect on recovery, which was the name of the game for his endeavour. 

Same with that guy who swam around great Briton, he is clearly on the OJ. 

Edited by more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could be totally wrong, I but as I say, from my experience he doesn't come across as the type. Perhaps I may think differently if I watch the doco. Who knows?

I'm not disputing that PEDs could be beneficial in an endeavour like this, however I've known too many people, over too long a time, who have done outrageously epic achievements, for the use of PEDs to be my default judgement. 

Edited by Paul Every

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, more said:

I would bet money he was on PEDs. Heck we have no good, age group hacks getting pinged, why would anyone be surprised if someone who achieved a feat like this wasn't on something. 

Even something like testosterone would have a massive effect on recovery, which was the name of the game for his endeavour. 

Same with that guy who swam around great Briton, he is clearly on the OJ. 

He got drug tested and was clean.  During the event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter said:

He got drug tested and was clean.  During the event. 

That doesn't mean anything, especially seeing it wasn't random. Testosterone propionate for example is super fast acting and would be totally out of his system in as little as 11 days..for someone doing what he was doing it would be eliminated even quicker..

 

Edited by more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is Ross Edgley, the guy who swam around Great Briton..you don't get like this naturally...

Related image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, more said:

And this is Ross Edgley, the guy who swam around Great Briton..you don't get like this naturally...

Related image

I didn't realise the water around Britain was so dirty.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I didn't realise the water around Britain was so dirty.

I didn't realise it was that clean.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How anyone can watch that and be in anything but awe astounds me. Particularly us who know how hard just one Ironman is.

Everyone at the time said it was impossible. Impossible task even without the travel and no sleep. Then we all complain when it gets done because he used an IV, or an elliptical once. As if that somehow makes the impossible easy. Now it's drugs.

Nut case thing to do, crazy family. But you surely can't not be amazed. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...