Sorry to hear that Al, you've done what you can and reported it so hopefully he won't be doing it to anyone else. Speedy recovery.

I hope you're up and running again before too long AP. What a sickening morning. I note increasing use of Dash cams and similar on bikes - hopefully it doesn't need to come to this, not that it fixes a broken bone or revives someone in a gutter. Take care.

All of that sucks. Glad to hear your injuries weren't more serious. I'll be interested to hear what happens to the driver.

Wish you a quick & full recovery.

Glad you're relatively ok. Could have been much worse I guess.

Sounds like people around you are a good reason to be cheerful - the lady who helped, your mates, and the police taking it seriously.

• Like 2

Yes, every near miss or relatively minor injury is count your blessings stuff. Drugged up drivers out of their mind, some hyper and aggressive, some falling asleep, got to be one of the major causes of cyclist fatalities, possibly injuries too.

Heh bud, hope you heel well soon.

I've had no incidents like AP described, but that is only by chance. I do the most of my training indoors - side benefit I get a shed load of TV shows in, although you have to be disciplined with effort.

It's the Me Generation supped up on drugs. AP may say during a race only worry about your own square metre. Now it's a world of people who worry about nothing else all the time.

Glad to hear you're about as good as you could be after something like this AP.

I've had no incidents like AP described, but that is only by chance. I do the most of my training indoors - side benefit I get a shed load of TV shows in, although you have to be disciplined with effort.

I bought a kickr for this reason. Set the wattage and zone out on a TV show. Forces you to do the work.

I still do my long ride on the road, but that is it. Everything else is trainer time!

I have never had that level of aggression towards me but I have the feeling it is when, not if!

Edited by Toolish

It doesn't matter how careful you are, sometimes these things (and these morons) just happen.

Sounds like you need to do a bit of 'uncorking' to help get over that corking!

Rest up Al, you'll be back!

Edited by Go Easy

I'm in the same boat as you Toolish, invested in the kickr for this very reason. All rides except one per week are done indoors now.

Hope you recover soon Al.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wombattri

Â

I've had no incidents like AP described, but that is only by chance. Â I do the most of my training indoors - side benefit I get a shed load of TV shows in, although you have to be disciplined with effort.

Me also GSP

I did all of my Ultraman training except 4 long rides in the trainer

And I live in a super quiet area that's arwsome for riding

The trainer is so much better for training , saves time and obviously safer

Your a lucky man AP

Sorry to hear this and hope you are okay.

I also hope that they nab the loser and throw the book at him, although I would more likely expect that the Police these days will issue him with an apology for him having a useless life.

And this is what concerns me about the decriminalisation of drugs and all of the arguments around it. It normalises behaviour like this and the impact is massive. Personally, I couldn't give a stuff if people want to waste their lives getting high, as they probably couldn't give a stuff about what I do on the weekends and my spare time (swim, bike, run, coffee ... not necessarily in that order).

However,

1) I don't want to pay for it - either directly or indirectly;

2) You do it at home and IN NO WAY INTERACT WITH ANYONE ELSE WHOM YOU MAY HARM; and

3) You don't come back on us when you realise that the reason you can't act as a functioning member of society is that you've fried your brains.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear this and hope you are okay.

I also hope that they nab the loser and throw the book at him, although I would more likely expect that the Police these days will issue him with an apology for him having a useless life.

And this is what concerns me about the decriminalisation of drugs and all of the arguments around it. It normalises behaviour like this and the impact is massive. Personally, I couldn't give a stuff if people want to waste their lives getting high, as they probably couldn't give a stuff about what I do on the weekends and my spare time (swim, bike, run, coffee ... not necessarily in that order).

However,

1) I don't want to pay for it - either directly or indirectly;

2) You do it at home and IN NO WAY INTERACT WITH ANYONE ELSE WHOM YOU MAY HARM; and

3) You don't come back on us when you realise that the reason you can't act as a functioning member of society is that you've fried your brains.

Gold

I talked to the cop yesterday who handled it - the guy has been interviewed - he has admitted to everything the three witnesses have said - he has been charged with four different offences - has had his car impounded for 90 days and will appear in court in January ------------- probably be given a warning --------- one of the charges is going armed in public to cause fear :shocking:

Lets hope the judiciary don't let us down again - we hear so many cases where idiots like this are given a warning :sly:

Also I did my first ride this morning - the corked quad hurt like hell for the first 1km - then as the circulation increased the pain subsided - I knew riding would either help or set it back - I just had to be game to give it a go - seriously it is so much better after two hours on the bike - I can walk up and down steps so much easier :smile1:

Edited by AP
  • Like 7

Sadly, I think you will be right with what happens to him. And naturally he will blame you for what has happened to him and hate everyone even more......

It's a shame our education system lets these poor innocents down so badly...

Don't know whether you're being sarcastic, but if you're not, I disagree.

Having come from working a week (yes, only a week, but a week, nonetheless) in the Townships of Cape Town, the education offered in developed nations is far, far better than any of these kids get.

I think the biggest problem is that the kids in Australia don't realise or appreciate how good they have it, so they pi$$ away their opportunities and end up with life-long problems. Sure, formal education isn't for everyone, but training / re-training throughout one's life should be a priority.

Also, kids, don't take drugs .... Mmmmmmmmmkay!

• Like 3

QUUUUEEEENNNNSSSSLLLAAAAAAAAANDDERRR

I'd love to see statistics on cycling related incidents in comparison to other states. I pity those that choose to live there.

I'd love to see statistics on cycling related incidents in comparison to other states. I pity those that choose to live there.

They need the machete to reach us after leaving a metre gap between us and the car. :)

• Like 2

Sorry to hear.

Glad the leg is feeling better. This sucks!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Firstly condolences to Al on having the misfortune to run in the the a$$hat that he did. I hope you have fully recovered soon.

Secondly given how much time Mr Pitman has spent riding around the roads in Brisbane over the years I'm suprised he hasn't had more instances like this. Then again it may be a case of "trouble is where a master is not".

Starting to become a really grumpy old f*&ker in my 40s. What am I going to be like at 60????

Like me !!!

I talked to the cop yesterday who handled it - the guy has been interviewed - he has admitted to everything the three witnesses have said - he has been charged with four different offences - has had his car impounded for 90 days and will appear in court in January ------------- probably be given a warning --------- one of the charges is going armed in public to cause fear :shocking:

Lets hope the judiciary don't let us down again - we hear so many cases where idiots like this are given a warning :sly:

Also I did my first ride this morning - the corked quad hurt like hell for the first 1km - then as the circulation increased the pain subsided - I knew riding would either help or set it back - I just had to be game to give it a go - seriously it is so much better after two hours on the bike - I can walk up and down steps so much easier :smile1:

Nothing better than active recovery AL

I can't believe why so many people do nothing for weeks after an IM

Moving , waddling etc is the best way to get your body back to normal

Just got to tough it out on the first couple of sessions

And it's real good for DVT if you have to travel post race

Have u ever ridden or unfortunately for you been to smelbourne?

These co$kneads are everywhere in OZ

• Like 1

Nothing better than active recovery AL

I can't believe why so many people do nothing for weeks after an IM

Moving , waddling etc is the best way to get your body back to normal

Just got to tough it out on the first couple of sessions

And it's real good for DVT if you have to travel post race

When you can show me how to eat ice cream while running I'll start training again in the weeks following ironman. Until that time I'll just stick to laying on the couch.

• Like 3

Have u ever ridden or unfortunately for you been to smelbourne?

These co$kneads are everywhere in OZ

That is true but the concentration is higher in 'the smart state'

Smrt state thank you very much.

Mentioned this thread to my wife, she said I have to get a camera on the bike and can't believe I haven't yet. Permission for a fly6 seems to have been granted...... wonder if it stretches to a fly12 as well...... probably not!

That is true but the concentration is higher in 'the smart state'

Nice. Concentration on mobile phones not the road.

I reckon I get at least see 2 DH every ride causing trouble to cyclists doing the right thing

Nice. Concentration on mobile phones not the road.

I reckon I get at least see 2 DH every ride causing trouble to cyclists doing the right thing

Me too..

Unfortunately i also see about 20 cyclists doing the wrong thing also..

• Like 1

I am still sleeping with an arm warmer on my arm to keep the blood off the sheets - not much fun to take it off in the morning - but the sheets are not marked - that's the priority around here :shy:

This morning I did a two hour run - hurt a bit but seriously my legs are better after the run - like the first bike ride on Wed, hurt a lot for the first 2-3km but was better after - it seems that deep bruising in the muscles are helped by circulation and being forced through a greater range of movement - I think if I took a soft, cautious approach I could have milked this corked quad out for a month :shy:

I have to be on top of my game for HOTW in about 8 weeks :smile1:

• Like 1

What sort of Govt you got up there, only in the land of Joh and Pauline could your car get impounded but you keep your tomahawk...... lol

Look after yourself, nobody else will on the roads......

They need the machete to reach us after leaving a metre gap between us and the car. :)

A pity the bevans use the same ruler to measure this as their private parts....

Glad you're on the road to recovery AP! It's staggering the level of hatred someone can muster towards another human being for simply riding a bike!

it's not always personal I reckon, the community is full of angry phucks with short fuses, just happens to be who is the unfortunate one who happens to get in their way

What a Jerk. Hope they lock him and dry him out and help the poor sad $#@%@ get on with a reasonable life.

Get well AP.

Maybe it's a QLD thing?

My impression that Qlder's are the worst, stupidest drivers in the nation was not disproved y'day on our way to Noosa when we came up behind a red-P plater siting on about 90, but every time we got to an over-taking lane or a clear stretch where we could pass, he instantly gunned it up to about 120.

Had to hit 130 flashing my lights and hand on the horn to get past this twat just before the overtaking lane finished.

He obviously thought it was amusing, but it was just pain dumb & dangerous.

The media have fuelled the toxic us Vs them culture, going to take a lot to change the attitudes in this part of the world. Hope your return to form is fast and this guy is reformed.

• Like 1

Not just Queensland

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-04/man-pleads-guilty-to-attacking-cyclists/5068528

This guy had his first offence and while waiting to go to court did it again to some older ladies.

Ended up with a jail sentence but was out on appeal because it would be detrimental to his family.

The old federal highway is a disused piece of road most frequented by cyclists now.

Al, Make sure you keep us informed of what happens with this dude come January. It will be interesting to see what the law dishes out......a proper sentencing or a slap on the wrist!