Cottoneyes

Buying camera question

On 03/09/2019 at 8:16 AM, trinube said:

Come way with me for a week and I can teach you everything you need to know :)

Where are we going ? :D

17 hours ago, humdrum said:

Where are we going ? :D

Just back from Hong Kong and Japan and I think South Island of NZ might be next :)  Must try and get to Rad one day and catch up with you and Bored@.

Also, what's the best 2nd hand buying site?

I rejoined the book of faces and there must be a thousand different buy/sell groups.

18 hours ago, Tyno said:

Trinube, if that camera body is still an option, let me know.

I couldn't PM you.

I'll have a look tonight and see if I can track it down. I *think* I know where it is...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jumping on this thread for ideas for myself. I'd love a good camera, but I know I'm not going to be bothered to learn how to use it properly, and will get pissed off carrying something big with lens etc around, so would probably be better off with something point & shoot.

The question: Am I better off looking for something like that, or will a samsung galaxy S8 be just as good? 

Thanks

ETA: Most shots will just stay on the computer with a few printed (at normal size, not enlarged). We are hopefully going to India in a couple months, so my wife is saying we need a camera.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

While phone Cameras take great pictures compared to today, and I could be completely wrong with this theory, bit I just can't believe they would match the ability and quality of a choice point and shoot, even.  But more knowledgeable people will give you a better answer.  And I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the pictures afterwards?

I have seen a mates photos from a trip he took to Canada with only his iPhone, and he was usually an slr guy.  But he also used an accessory lens kit with it.  So maybe something like a good phone with some clip on lens would do the job?  

I've already given my take on these questions, maybe I'm on block. But modern phones take very very good photos and are super convenient. A SLR really can be a pain in the arse lugging around, especially when on holidays. 

A SLR does give you more options to be creative but most people with an SLR wouldn't have a clue how to take advantage of manual mode. Also most of the time where you are taking advantage of the SLR so requires a tripod, again more hassle. 

It is very similar to cycling, marginal gains. 

As for quality, well yes a SLR will win especially when blown up super big, but for most pics that are printed no bigger than your standard photo size you won't be able to tell the difference. 

I'll take two pics later today, one with about $6k worth of gear and the other with my mobile, will be interesting to see who can pick which is which. 

Edited by more

On 11/09/2019 at 4:51 PM, Tyno said:

Trinube, if that camera body is still an option, let me know.

I couldn't PM you.

OK, I have it and am just charging the battery to test it. I'm sure it's fine, I just haven't used it for about 12 months. I've also emptied my inbox so hopefully you should be able to get through now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'd love a good camera, but I know I'm not going to be bothered to learn how to use it properly

You've answered your own question. Whilst modern cameras can do great things, to go beyond the ordinary requires some investment in time learning how to use them properly.

The other issue is what you're expecting. As a photographer by trade, my idea of 'good photo' might be entirely different to your idea of 'good photo'. I've judged a lot of competitions over the years and some of the entries people think were good just had me shaking my head.

Point is, you may be totally happy with what a phone camera delivers. There's been times I've been totally happy with what my phone has delivered. Will I be happy in every circumstance, of course not. 

Would I do a long trip with only a phone? No.

Could people with a less critical eye do a long trip with only a phone? I'm sure of it.

Edited by trinube

Thanks Goughy, More, Trinube. I know I'm not going to go down the SLR path. Maybe in a few years when I have more time on my hands, but at this point I'm too time poor to invest in learning to use it.

The real question is, is a cheap (sub $500) point & shoot worth getting over the mobile?

39 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Thanks Goughy, More, Trinube. I know I'm not going to go down the SLR path. Maybe in a few years when I have more time on my hands, but at this point I'm too time poor to invest in learning to use it.

The real question is, is a cheap (sub $500) point & shoot worth getting over the mobile?

The other part I didn't mention I guess is what is the purpose of the picture you are trying to take? When travelling for me it is capturing the memories and impromptu moments-a mobile is perfect for this. 

I love landscape photography though, so if I were travelling somewhere where I'd want to take pics of landscapes I'd personally approach it in a totally different way, would spend a lot of time considering how to compose the shot, the time of day, where the sun might be rising or setting/where and how  the light might be affecting the shot, a tripod, lens, filters etc. I'd approach the pic with a view to be able to print them out large and hung on the wall. 

I have travelled with a camera bag and a swath of lenses but felt it actually detracted from me taking personal and quick pics due to the hassle of the whole slr.  A mobile I can whip out of my pocket a d take a pic or video in a second and then also instantly share it with friends. 

Two very different purposes for me. 

Edit-the above sounds full on wankerville. What I'm trying to say is if you are going to use the SLR as much as you would your phone than go for it. Just don't expect to be wowed too much by the pics. Some people get fooled into thinking the camera makes the pic when it's very much the operator. 

Edited by more

2 hours ago, more said:

The other part I didn't mention I guess is what is the purpose of the picture you are trying to take? When travelling for me it is capturing the memories and impromptu moments-a mobile is perfect for this. 

I love landscape photography though, so if I were travelling somewhere where I'd want to take pics of landscapes I'd personally approach it in a totally different way, would spend a lot of time considering how to compose the shot, the time of day, where the sun might be rising or setting/where and how  the light might be affecting the shot, a tripod, lens, filters etc. I'd approach the pic with a view to be able to print them out large and hung on the wall. 

I have travelled with a camera bag and a swath of lenses but felt it actually detracted from me taking personal and quick pics due to the hassle of the whole slr.  A mobile I can whip out of my pocket a d take a pic or video in a second and then also instantly share it with friends. 

Two very different purposes for me. 

Edit-the above sounds full on wankerville. What I'm trying to say is if you are going to use the SLR as much as you would your phone than go for it. Just don't expect to be wowed too much by the pics. Some people get fooled into thinking the camera makes the pic when it's very much the operator. 

Thanks More. That's kind of how I feel. I'm going to see some incredible things on this trip I may never see the likes of again, but being on an organised tour, I won't have the time to set up shots properly, or wait for the right time of day & the right light. I used to have a pretty good film camera, and used to love the process of getting the right shot, but in the end, I found many of the impromptu, spur of the moment shots were just as good, and usually meant more in the end. A mate of mine does a lot of travelling, and always with about $20k worth of camera gear. He takes some brilliant shots. Some of the Euro Grand Prix shots, and his trip to Everest Base Camp are incredible, but he always complains about the hassle of carting it around. And last trip he had it stolen & his insurance only covered about half its value.

I think it's going to be the mobile, and maybe I'll upgrade before I go, rather than at the end of the year.

Ex, my mirror less was $600.

It's not jeans pocket small with a lens on, but it is small.

I'm obviously new, but I think it takes me out to take pictures more than my phone does.

It's not a big step up for most situations, but even in a few weeks, I've got decent close ups with my camera that I wouldn't have with my phone.

The not wanting to learn much thing might be your idea at the moment, but I found it the opposite.

I want to understand more, now that I have more at my disposal.

You can still grab good enough shots on Auto, if that's your thing.

I spent 3 hours talking to a guy today about different things.

The only pics we took were on his outdoor table to show different focus and depth of field examples.

But 3 hours went by FAST.

I carry a 6D with either a 50/1.8 or 24-105/2.8  on overseas strips. Wrist strap and camera in hand all the time. Great for low-light no flash pics and can use like a point and shoot.. Can do time lapses, landscape, long exposure stuff as well. I've just upgraded Gorillapod and got a 14/2.8 for Northern lights/Yosemite/Big Sur for the next trip.

My wife carries a Panasonic compact which shoots raw, she snaps anything and videos with that but we always end up with a heap of phone pics as well