Cottoneyes

Buying camera question

CFO has had some input.

DSLR is back on the agenda.

EOS 200D vs D3400 - both on special at JB with 18-55 lens.

Only $50 between the 2.

7 minutes ago, Tyno said:

CFO has had some input.

DSLR is back on the agenda.

EOS 200D vs D3400 - both on special at JB with 18-55 lens.

Only $50 between the 2.

TBH as someone who has spent many thousands on camera bodies and lenses you need to be sure with what you intend to use it for. If you are going to print the pictures out then by all means get the best camera and lens you can afford.

But if they will forever stay in your computer then a modern phone is just as good for most occasions. Heck because of the ability to take spontaneous shots and the now in built bokeh (background blur) the modern phone generally wins hands down.

The only time a SLR or mirror-less camera really shines is when you want to print pics out, particularly to a decent size.

Camera bodies are bulky and a pain in the arse...

17 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Yes, but which of those 2 particular PITA would you get in my shoes? :D

I wouldn't lol

Here is what will happen, you will use it for a bit, get pissed off at how it is tricky to use and the pics don't look that great and it will become an expensive paper weight. The entry level cameras just cant really compete with a modern phone TBH

Alternatively, if you are gung ho on wanting a SLR/mirror less Id shell out a $2K-$3K and get a second hand Sony A7Rii, learn how to use manual mode fully (will take lots of practice) and eventually you will get awesome pics..that most likely will never see the light of day lol

It is a lot of fun though and I do miss it...

Edited by more

9 minutes ago, more said:

Alternatively, if you are gung ho on wanting a SLR/mirror less Id shell out a $2K-$3K

That's on the post lotto win options paper :D

6 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Yes, but which of those 2 particular PITA would you get in my shoes? :D

Few things to consider.

The 200d is the more expensive camera, and is on sale. It has advantages such as a swivel screen and a touchscreen that the Nikon doesn't have. The Canon had wifi for sharing images, but both have Bluetooth (wifi is faster)

Canon has slightly less auto focus points but both cameras struggle in the auto focus department, but are fine for not fast moving objects. However the canon when used in live view (making it mirrorless) uses canons dual pixel af which is much better for moving objects etc. Rated Highly

The Nikon will go longer without a charge, but you'll still get 600 or more pictures out of the canon battery.

If you are pushing the limits of editing your images then the Nikon sensor has some advantages, but I doubt you are into that. The lens on the Nikon is apparently a little sharper than the canon, though they are both cheap lenses. Both lenses have image stabilisation so that's a plus. 

The canon is slightly smaller, but heavier (the weight will likely make it feel more quality).

My money, personally, would be on the canon.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, more said:

I wouldn't lol

Here is what will happen, you will use it for a bit, get pissed off at how it is tricky to use and the pics don't look that great and it will become an expensive paper weight. The entry level cameras just cant really compete with a modern phone TBH

Alternatively, if you are gung ho on wanting a SLR/mirror less Id shell out a $2K-$3K and get a second hand Sony A7Rii, learn how to use manual mode fully (will take lots of practice) and eventually you will get awesome pics..that most likely will never see the light of day lol

It is a lot of fun though and I do miss it...

Or buy an older camera, spend a couple hundred bucks which won't depreciate much, then know if you get hooked ;) 

I'd take an 8mp DSLR over a phone picture anyday - though the truth is the phone is the camera you generally have with you.

Yes, 8mp is 8mp is 8mp is not the case, sensor quality and size makes a big difference.  We have a Canon 80d and the Mrs loves it.  But she's a Canon whore.  Still has her old A1 with 50mm lens.  Heck, I've still got her old enlarger somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

I'd take an 8mp DSLR over a phone picture anyday 

You are kidding yourself... 

I've had everything from a 400D, 5D3, D700, D800 and now a A7rii with more lenses that you could swing a cat at and I'm constantly amazed at the picture quality I get from my Samsung phone. 

Sure if I wanted a top notch landscape or astro shots then the A7rii would win hands down, but for a quick pick of the kids with some nice bokeh the phone kicks the Sony's arse. 

For sports, well unless you are prepared to spend a couple of thousand on a good fast lens then again your results are in most cases going to be meh... 

Again, if you are going to the trouble of buying and using a SLR then also you should be in manual mode which also means you will need to process your photos in something like Lightroom-again an added pain in the arse unless you are committed to the finished product. 

So in the end 99% of people leave it in auto which makes it basically a bulky point and shoot. 

Edited by more

Phones certainly are the new compact camera!

14 minutes ago, more said:

You are kidding yourself... 

I've had everything from a 400D, 5D3, D700, D800 and now a A7rii with more lenses that you could swing a cat at and I'm constantly amazed at the picture quality I get from my Samsung phone. 

Sure if I wanted a top notch landscape or astro shots then the A7rii would win hands down, but for a quick pick of the kids with some nice bokeh the phone kicks the Sony's arse. 

For sports, well unless you are prepared to spend a couple of thousand on a good fast lens then again your results are in most cases going to be meh... 

More than one focal length, depth of field (the real type not the crappy fake AI stuff), ability to take long exposures and adjust exposure on the fly, a viewfinder and real buttons to adjust settings - priceless.  Not to mention when the light fades that big sensor helps a great deal in gathering light. 

But when it comes to family photos the fact is you are more likely to have your phone with you. But everyone has a phone camera, not everyone also has a nice digital ILC. 

But landscapes is where it is at for me, and birds if I can - try taking bird pics with a 28mm lens ;) I have an old 400mm lens (800mm on my m43 camera) that i like to play with. Manual focus is a nightmare at that focal length lol.

Edited by dazaau

6 minutes ago, dazaau said:

More than one focal length, depth of field (the real type not the crappy fake AI stuff), ability to take long exposures and adjust exposure on the fly, a viewfinder and real buttons to adjust settings - priceless.  Not to mention when the light fades that big sensor helps a great deal in gathering light. 

But when it comes to family photos the fact is you are more likely to have your phone with you. But everyone has a phone camera, not everyone also has a nice digital ILC. 

What sort of a phone do you have? I can garuntee if I posted two pics one taken with my A7rii with my 55mm 1.8 and my phone you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 

But yep, long exposures the SLR hands down no doubt about it. 

Gee all this talk has me getting excited, will have to dust my gear off 👍

4 minutes ago, more said:

Couldn't do this with my phone.. 

20190829_201839.jpg

No you could not! I can't even do that with my m43 camera and lens. Mmmm Milky way :)

Edited by dazaau

18 minutes ago, dazaau said:

But landscapes is where it is at for me, and birds if I can - try taking bird pics with a 28mm lens ;) I have an old 400mm lens (800mm on my m43 camera) that i like to play with. Manual focus is a nightmare at that focal length lol.

Birds and sport... Very very very hard without top notch equipment... Or top notch skill level 😉

2 minutes ago, dazaau said:

No you could not! I can't even do that with my m43 camera and lens. Mmmm Milky way :)

Glow worms

E6E70E38-6ED0-44DE-94B2-A9962CA54C91.jpeg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Why not? Samyang/Rockinon make great 14mm manual focus lenses for a few hundred bucks for 4 3rds cameras. Can pick them up for a couple hungee on Gumtree 

Edited by more

1 minute ago, more said:

Why not? Samyang/Rockinon make great 14mm manual focus lenses for a few hundred bucks for 4 3rds cameras. Can pick them up for a couple hunger on Gumtree 

I have a 14mm, but it is f/4. The noise from my "tiny" sensor is horrendous when coupled with a long exposure. Even my 24mm f2.8 lens is yuck. I'm sure it could be done, but probably not very well. I had a little go once. Not so good lol. 

And I bet the experience of getting that shot was heaps memorable and fun. Not like you can walk outside you house and just snap a picture like that! 

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

Mores answer was partly right.

EOS M100 for $1 more than the 200D. 

Dayum how could I forget-this is a very very very good camera for about the same price! 

https://www.becextech.com.au/catalog/sona600016-50gry-ins-p-8329.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyvWKxfan5AIVgYBwCh1_hQDLEAQYASABEgIm5_D_BwE#.XWexGTd_WdM

I got one due to it being so compact-could fit in pocket and still take great pics and video. 

I was so impressed with it I sold it and got its big brother the A7rii

Have fun reading, reviewing and comparing. If your anything like me I go full OCD mode before any purchase and watch every YouTube clip forum article before hand. 

13 minutes ago, dazaau said:

And I bet the experience of getting that shot was heaps memorable and fun. Not like you can walk outside you house and just snap a picture like that! 

For sure! Got a cheap flight to Mildura by myself, hired car and then drove miles into the middle of no where in the Mungo National park. Slept in the back of the car and nearly froze to death lol, was definitely a hell of a fun adventure! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, more said:

For sure! Got a cheap flight to Mildura by myself, hired car and then drove miles into the middle of no where in the Mungo National park. Slept in the back of the car and nearly froze to death lol, was definitely a hell of a fun adventure! 

Totally worth it!

16 hours ago, more said:

Why not? Samyang/Rockinon make great 14mm manual focus lenses for a few hundred bucks for 4 3rds cameras. Can pick them up for a couple hungee on Gumtree 

I just bought a 14/2.8 and after looking for ages I got one for $450 new grey import on Catch of the day. Even 2nd hand they wanted $400 on gumtree etc. Yet to fully test this thing but looking forward to it

• Like 1

I've got a Canon 6D with a number of lenses, where the iPhone beats it is dynamic range for quick shots like backlit family pics etc.

Unless you're an enthusiast looking to use a tripod, a high end DSLR is overkill.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Parkside said:

I just bought a 14/2.8 and after looking for ages I got one for $450 new grey import on Catch of the day. Even 2nd hand they wanted $400 on gumtree etc. Yet to fully test this thing but looking forward to it

Awesome!! You will love it!! Really is a cool lens and a lot of fun

I can't be arsed going into detailed discussions because it's too broad a subject. Without knowing what you want to do, how often you're going to do it and how willing you are to invest in knowledge it's a question difficult to answer.

I see More has pointed you to the a6000 that I mentioned earlier. Sony have just released its successor so you'll see deals on the a6000 - great little camera and can grow with you.

I'm sure I still have a great condition Canon 60D around here somewhere which I used as a backup. Don't have any lenses but they're everywhere on ebay/gumtree. I sold out of Canon a few years back and now have Sony and Fuji.

If I can find it and it's of any interest you can have it for $75 + shipping. Buy a second hand lens for $200 and you have a semi-pro level camera for less than $300.

For the astro-interested, I trust you all have Photo Pills?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Parkside said:

I've got a Canon 6D with a number of lenses, where the iPhone beats it is dynamic range for quick shots like backlit family pics etc.

Unless you're an enthusiast looking to use a tripod, a high end DSLR is overkill.

Yes, computational photography is still missing from interchangeable lens cameras, they should get their act together or they will find that people actually have good reason to use their phone over their camera. I guess it's one advantage of having a camera stuck on a computer with high processing power. 

Sorry to post on the forum, and not trying to cut anyone grass or jump the gun.  But if tyno nor anyone else was interested in it, and if you did want to get rid of it, I could be interested in your old camera for my son, Tribune.  Give me a serve if I'm being rude.  Couldn't pm you sorry.

I reckon you should take Tribune's offer tyno; great way to get into an slr.  I love the idea of a decent compact, but I live slr's.  Don't know why.

1 hour ago, trinube said:

For the astro-interested, I trust you all have Photo Pills?

No  but googling

17 minutes ago, Parkside said:

at first glance looks like The Photographers Ephemeris on steroids

Worth watching

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Sorry to post on the forum, and not trying to cut anyone grass or jump the gun.  But if tyno nor anyone else was interested in it, and if you did want to get rid of it, I could be interested in your old camera for my son, Tribune.  Give me a serve if I'm being rude.  Couldn't pm you sorry.

No worries, it's just taking up space here. Pretty sure I know where it is.

1 hour ago, trinube said:

Sony have just released its successor

I was reading that today. My impatience costs me like this on many occasions.

If you're happy to send your old camera to Goughy, despite him calling you the wrong name in multiple posts, that's cool :)

Its an awesome offer.

F'n autocorrect!

24 minutes ago, Tyno said:

If you're happy to send your old camera to Goughy, despite him calling you the wrong name in multiple posts, that's cool :)

Its an awesome offer.

It is.  The Mrs just put the kybosh on me though sorry. :(

• Sad 1

Spent some time on my walk this afternoon playing with settings. I might have been able to get these on my phone, but it’s been good so far. 

D9A172C7-6885-406C-93C8-547CBFF84F1F.jpeg

A3181F5F-6B65-4DB3-9A75-BD05B98CBBD2.jpeg

• Like 1

You can't do that! What did you get!? 

I'm glad you started with a cat photo. It's a right of passage :)

• Like 1

Walked in to buy the EOS 200D.

Walked out with the EOS M100.

I shall try not to second guess my decision for ever :D

Now the questions are:

How many batteries do I need? I mean, what is ~250 shots for the battery in real terms?

Do I need a tripod?

What's the next lens I need? (15-45 came with camera)

Should I get the adapter and buy the Canon EF/S lenses instead?

40 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Walked in to buy the EOS 200D.

Walked out with the EOS M100.

I shall try not to second guess my decision for ever :D

Nice camera, solid choice. 

Battery, get a couple cheapies on eBay. 

Tripod, sure, I have a manfrotto befree. Good small tripod.

Maybe wait on a lens to you know what you want. Same with the adaptor. Ef lenses are big. Bigger with an adaptor. You'd want a good reason to do it.

Timely topic!

Whenever I get to go on a work trip and there is a lot to see and photograph, I look into upgrading my camera because I didn't learn how to use the previous one properly 😆🙄

Bought a Sony a6000 about 5 years ago,  liked it but wasn't wow, and missed the feel of an SLR. Bought a Canon D750 but apart from those rare trips, never used it. Then the trips dried up for a couple of years... last year went back to the a6000 (still cost the same, probably even more expensive), and swore to myself I'm just gonna keep it and run it into the ground, and take it wherever I can. Well, I haven't used it for some time again...

Now I might be going away again in October, and it will definitely require a zoom lens (only got the 18-50 or whatever it is) - and looking at cameras online makes me wanna have something fancier as always!

But I won't. Get the lens, maybe a couple of filters, and actually try and learn to use it. Anyone know any good online reads or tutorials? Landscape, buildings & sights and wildlife might be on the agenda.

10 hours ago, humdrum said:

Get the lens, maybe a couple of filters, and actually try and learn to use it. Anyone know any good online reads or tutorials? Landscape, buildings & sights and wildlife might be on the agenda.

Come way with me for a week and I can teach you everything you need to know :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, humdrum said:

Timely topic!

Whenever I get to go on a work trip and there is a lot to see and photograph, I look into upgrading my camera because I didn't learn how to use the previous one properly 😆🙄

Bought a Sony a6000 about 5 years ago,  liked it but wasn't wow, and missed the feel of an SLR. Bought a Canon D750 but apart from those rare trips, never used it. Then the trips dried up for a couple of years... last year went back to the a6000 (still cost the same, probably even more expensive), and swore to myself I'm just gonna keep it and run it into the ground, and take it wherever I can. Well, I haven't used it for some time again...

Now I might be going away again in October, and it will definitely require a zoom lens (only got the 18-50 or whatever it is) - and looking at cameras online makes me wanna have something fancier as always!

But I won't. Get the lens, maybe a couple of filters, and actually try and learn to use it. Anyone know any good online reads or tutorials? Landscape, buildings & sights and wildlife might be on the agenda.

Not sure where your level is at but you can create better images by starting with a few key compositional tools:

1. Fill the frame - really this is a key basic one - so often people take photos full of visual clutter and empty space.

2. The rule of thirds, and the golden mean/ratio

3. Leading lines

4. Depth

Read up on those (do a google or youtube) from a few places and practice them and your images will look so much better. 

Love the rule of thirds...

• Sad 1

on second hand, today i brought a Canon EOS 60D with Sigma 18-200 lens for AUD 550

This was from a retailer in the Central Markets Adelaide, there had a few other EOS 60D without lens and quite a few other second hand cameras.

at that price figured i can play with it when i want

• Like 1

A former colleague is going to take a few hours to educate me in the ways of the camera.

Cost has been negotiated in beers.

I'll make sure that's after the practical session :D