Sign in to follow this  
XCOM!

John Glenn

Last of the original Mercury-7 astronauts, has passed away.

I remember as a kid, after queuing for hours when they brought a Mercury capsule to Sydney, being in awe of this tiny fragile looking thing all scorched black to within an inch of its life, and wondering how the hell someone had the guts to ride it.

I think that's his capsule in the Smithsonian (along with Chuck's X1 and the Wright's Flyer - God I love that place! ) amazing stuff.

Always was a fan of John Glenn :)

I know he was Gemini-Apollo (and Shuttle) but John Young was probably my "favourite" of that era - Gemini-3, Gemini-10, Apollo-10, Apollo-16, STS-1, STS-9

His famous dead-pan quote: "Anyone who sits on top of the largest hydrogen-oxygen fueled system in the world, knowing they're going to light the bottom, and doesn't get a little worried, does not fully understand the situation."

Edited by XCOM!

I think that's his capsule in the Smithsonian (along with Chuck's X1 and the Wright's Flyer - God I love that place! ) amazing stuff.

Always was a fan of John Glenn :)

Been there twice I think. Saw the Wright Brothers Flyer, original plane and other amazing stuff. I visited long ago, I don't recall the Space Wing or whatever was open then, it might have been under construction.

My son, a side note here, graduated from John Glenn High School in Michigan, USA.