TrinewB

Can you improve on one ride a week

So what are your thoughts ? Can I improve my riding by putting in one ride 2-3 hours long a week? Some weeks I may be able to squeeze one 60-80 min turbo session midweek.

I can swim 20-30 min 2-3 times a week. One short run.

I aim to only do sprints and want to do a couple of Calga TTs

No. But if lucky might hold capacity at a low level. Unless out doing significant other work. (I'm not riding much these days, prefer running - particularly in winter - but the risks in cycling are just so much higher).

So what are your thoughts ? Can I improve my riding by putting in one ride 2-3 hours long a week? Some weeks I may be able to squeeze one 60-80 min turbo session midweek.

I can swim 20-30 min 2-3 times a week. One short run.

I aim to only do sprints and want to do a couple of Calga TTs

You Naur, no. For someone like you who's a very well performed athlete I'd say there's not going to be a lot of improvement. However, if it's all you have then do it and be happy. If you're time pressured and want to really compete you need to look at coach@'s training regime which is very short, sharp and hard.

If, on the other hand, you'd have been a couch potato for 10 years then yes, you'd improve by doing a 2-3 hour ride and a coupe of swims a week.

If you were doing zero rides a week, then I'd say yes :)

• Like 1

Nope but you do what you can with what you've got. One is better than none.

• Like 5

I should've added starting this with below than average Fittness so swimming 2 min slower than my 1 k pb and riding 6 min slower than my Calga 25 km pb as well.

I guess it's probably wishful thinking still.

I'm down to two 1 hour spin sessions a week. Life just got in the way. Then a few weeks ago a did a 150km ride and smashed it. I was sore for a day or two, but I felt strong the whole way. So I feel like I'm ticking over, rather than getting fitter.

• Like 1

I moved back to the UK a few years ago and spent about 6 months off the bike altogether (packing, moving, shipping, new job etc).

I managed to keep a couple of short runs a week, and one or 2 swims, but no riding at all for quite a while.

When the bike arrived, and i got sorted, i did a few rides with a local group, once a week, saturday morning.

Regular ride was about 80-100k with those blokes - rolling countryside, but no serious hills.

First ride nearly killed me....

After about 5-6 weeks there was definate improvement. But it quickly plateaued.....

From my experience, i think doing one ride a week was better than nothing. I definately improved over tne 'no ride' scenario.... but whilst it helped retain fitness i dont think i could have seriously trained for an event on that.....

But..... much better for my fitness than thae 3 hours i spent on the barstool at the local pub most Sundays....

Edited by TryTriB4Forty

All of the above is good advice Naur, just do what you can when you can. My preference is to what Trinube suggests and do short sharp stuff whenever I can fit it in. It may not be the best for my race results, but it does let me keep the family life balance at a reasonably happy level.

Improving fitness does require changing of training stimulation, primarily through manipulating training load and training composition. With such infrequent training, improving fitness is pretty hard to achieve due to the reversibility principle, IOW beyond adaptations that come with recovery time following training, the body begins to detrain.

With one ride/week, your only real option is to play with composition of ride intensity and if you have 2-3 hours then there is a fair bit you can play with on that front to keep it interesting.

Endurance rides for a while, then toss in some 30-60-minutes of hard tempo work for a month or so, then some supra threshold/VO2max inducing efforts for a month or so, some endurance rides for a week or two then some threshold efforts for a month or so, that sort of thing. Don't be scared to toss in some sprint like efforts into the mix regularly (provided you can do so safely).

Ultimately though you'll reach a level and at best be able to maintain it. Provided that is enough to keep you happy and enjoy life, that's what matters most. Much better than having a long time away from exercise like happened with me (for various rest of life reasons). If/when times change and you get to do more, then the progress will be easier and come more quickly.

You can't fit in a couple of 45 min sufferfest vids during the week?

I got faster with some fairly minimal training hours with the vids for sprint distance

• Like 1

I went OK on 1 50/60km shop ride a week. Now doing more though. If you're only going to ride once though, make it count.

I got faster with some fairly minimal training hours with the vids for sprint distance

well I could but I can't ........ very very time poor AND lacking mojo....deadly combo.

I get about 60-90 min at home a day when my kids are awake so spend it with them if I can after which I'm off to bed myself! the main issue is also the lack of drive.

Â

well I could but I can't ........ very very time poor AND lacking mojo....deadly combo.

Â

I get about 60-90 min at home a day when my kids are awake so spend it with them if I can after which I'm off to bed myself! the main issue is also the lack of drive.Â

Fair enough

I bought 5 Sufferfest vids and they live on a stick plugged permanently into the tv, simplicity itself to get going. No waiting for a connection or pairing or others to join. I have various ones ranging from 2hr race, 2hr climbing and TT but the default 'maintain' one I use is 'The Way Out'.

It's a base workout that gives about an hour of effort just below threshold. Nice scenery also :smile1:

• Like 1

Â

Â

I bought 5 Sufferfest vids and they live on a stick plugged permanently into the tv, simplicity itself to get going. No waiting for a connection or pairing or others to join. Â I have various ones ranging from 2hr race, 2hr climbing and TT but the default 'maintain' one I use is 'The Way Out'.

Â

It's a base workout that gives about an hour of effort just below threshold. Nice scenery also :smile1:

My fav is the Wretched

This .. or trainer road sets ...

I get about 60-90 min at home a day when my kids are awake so spend it with them if I can after which I'm off to bed myself! the main issue is also the lack of drive.

I think u need to address the lack of mojo first

I'm sure u could if you wanted to do. 60 min trainer set before your kids get up , or before work

Again if u wanted to???

I reckon if you got onto a decent program and was committed , one three HR session on the trainer a week structured properly by someone who knows what they are doing I bet you could be better than u ever have been, espually as u are only doing sprint racing

There is nothing better than a soiled properly structured trainer workout

Doing sufferefest stuff can smash u and u think u are getting a work out but it's not structured enough for what u seem to be wanting and they get boring after a while

Again , I'd be looking into what u really want to get out of your sport and training first and then see what hrs u can really (or want to) commit

Cheers

Ivp

My thoughts, for what they're worth, are that if you're only doing some sprint races I wouldn't bother about a 2-3 hour ride unless you really enjoy it and don't want to give it up. I'd turn it into a 1-2 hour ride and try to do another 30-60 mins on an indoor trainer during the week. If your kids are young it could be in the same room while they're playing, watching tv, or whatever, but at least your there with them. Even if it's not in the same room at least they know Dad's at home and come and chat etc.

• Like 2

My thoughts, for what they're worth, are that if you're only doing some sprint races I wouldn't bother about a 2-3 hour ride unless you really enjoy it and don't want to give it up. I'd turn it into a 1-2 hour ride and try to do another 30-60 mins on an indoor trainer during the week. If your kids are young it could be in the same room while they're playing, watching tv, or whatever, but at least your there with them. Even if it's not in the same room at least they know Dad's at home and come and chat etc.

if you have say a maximum of 4hrs a week to put aside for cycling with a view to doing several spring races then a 2 hr road ride and 2 x 60 minute ergo sessions should actually see you at least holding your form & I reckon actually improving substantially. Once you have a base - which you have - there are a lot of garbage miles that can be cut out. Look at coach@ - 3 hard wind trainer sessions per week still sees him drop everybody other than the very best pros on the bike in a sprint race at age 50+!

In fact if you weren't bothered by missing out on a road cycle - skip it altogether and do 3 ergo sessions per week instead.

Edited by Andrew #1

If your just racing sprints, then short, high intensity, sessions on the trainer would be the ideal bike training.

I saw some pretty good FTP gains over the past year by doing mostly doing 1 hour indoor bike sets, 2/3 times per week. There were friggen tough sessions though. Mostly intervals, with the occasional TT thrown in. I only did the odd longer ride over the past few months to get me through IM. I would usually do them when the kids were asleep (I have a 20 month old and 3 1/2 year old) but if they were awake, they would come into the pain cave and dance to the music which was pretty cool.

If a 3 hour ride once a week is all you can do, I'd still try to make it an extended interval session. You won't get stronger while staying in your comfort zone.

Zwift/Sufferfest/Trainer Road are your friends.