Tall Paul

Velothon Sunshine Coast

Ruley    740
12 hours ago, KKB said:

You didn't get it... obviously.

I was originally posting in reply to someone who lives on the sunny coast that thought Razorback was the steepest climb he'd ever done, and proceeded to point out a few more that were steeper, in his own backyard , and indicated that maybe he should broaden his horizons.  I've done most steep climbs in the GC and SC Hinterlands, both gravel and *cough* tarmac, and reckon Postmans Track would 'bust' most punters..... let alone triathletes!

But sadly, it's not included in this latest 'Fondo'. :/

Haha no problem. 
would be funny to put one of the drink stops down the bottom at baroon pocket dam with an out and back, that would give you another nice speedy descent with a small climb out.

• Like 1

Rocket Salad    1,068
1 hour ago, Ruley said:

Haha no problem. 
would be funny to put one of the drink stops down the bottom at baroon pocket dam with an out and back, that would give you another nice speedy descent with a small climb out.

Is that the crazy steep bit to goes to the dam wall?

sme1414    211
14 hours ago, KKB said:

You didn't get it... obviously.

I was originally posting in reply to someone who lives on the sunny coast that thought Razorback was the steepest climb he'd ever done, and proceeded to point out a few more that were steeper, in his own backyard , and indicated that maybe he should broaden his horizons.  I've done most steep climbs in the GC and SC Hinterlands, both gravel and *cough* tarmac, and reckon Postmans Track would 'bust' most punters..... let alone triathletes!

But sadly, it's not included in this latest 'Fondo'. :/

Because most punters don't want to pay to be humiliated in front of people by having to get off and walk.

KKB    38
1 hour ago, Ruley said:

Haha no problem. 

Now there's an idea. ;)

KKB    38
18 minutes ago, sme1414 said:

Because most punters don't want to pay to be humiliated in front of people by having to get off and walk.

Don't worry, I've humiliated myself a couple of times up there and didn't have to pay anyone!! :lol:

• Like 1

Tall Paul    405

I'm in for the three days. Been a good boost to the bike training for the tri season.

Not sure what shape I will be in by the start of Sunday's ride but the courses are great so at least will be suffering with scenery

dazmuzza    37

I did the one day and that was hard enough. An early mechanical meant I was riding it mostly solo though...ouch.

AJS    15

I did the three day Velothon, and really enjoyed it!

Fabulous scenery, good roads and very well run - especially for a first time event - all seemed to work pretty well, a few little teething things but nothing major at all...

I'll probably do it again next year, and might do a wee bit more training for those hills though...

;-)

• Like 3

dazmuzza    37

Did you make it up Obi Obi without walking?

I certainly did not !! :)

Well don eon doing the three day. Agree well run event and loved the clubhouse concept.

AA7    1,001
1 hour ago, AJS said:

I did the three day Velothon, and really enjoyed it!

Fabulous scenery, good roads and very well run - especially for a first time event - all seemed to work pretty well, a few little teething things but nothing major at all...

I'll probably do it again next year, and might do a wee bit more training for those hills though...

;-)

That's if the locals allow it next year, usual whingeing comments on social media.

FatPom    2,321

Looks like a great event. Were the roads closed all three days?

Tall Paul    405
2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Looks like a great event. Were the roads closed all three days?

No they just closed the sections designated for sprint and KoM sections otherwise controlled roads. We were given right of way for right turns and some roundabouts otherwise fully open so occasional red lights and give way at junctions. Though through the hinterland not many of those!

Definitely would recommend to others and dates set for the same weekend next year

oh and I made it up Obi Obi :whistling:

Edited by Tall Paul

FatPom    2,321

Nice.  I think Velothon Wales is completely closed. A few years ago I did 'Etape Cymru'  ( based at Wrexham) and it was completely closed and was fantastic. I think it only lasted two years as Velothon seems to have taken its place.

AJS    15

I might have had a little walk up the first steep bit of Obi Obi - but didn't seem to lose too much time to those riding :-) 

Agree with other views, all three days had a really good feel - well marshalled, decent pace riding without being uber-competitive...

Didn't encounter too many issues with traffic / junctions and only confusing bit was a couple of red traffic lights at the very end of Day 3 (in the last 3-4km) where it wasn't clear whether I had the right to ride through (as at every other junction) or obey road rules (as per briefing)... I might have just been a wee bit tired by then!

;-) 

AJS    15

There were plenty of challenging hills to my mind!

Obi Obi was indeed probably the toughest, but there were another couple that popped over 20% (including one toward the end of Day 3 coming back out of Woombye toward Maroochydore)...

That and the 17% one about 5 miles in to day one were a bit of a shock to the system for sure! 

dazmuzza    37

Obi Obi was definitely the hardest I believe. Max gradient was 43%. Thats insane.

Yeah, Mt Kiel Road at the end. I literally swore when I saw that. 

The last 50K of the last day was harder than it seemed from the profile.