prizna

What training did you do today?

10 minutes ago, Peter said:

I did 10 x 400 last week. Farking so boring and hurt. 

Points to you for doing 800's. 

My venue was quite good.  Around a park.  Had a few kids on bikes pacing with me and some old guy giving me encouragement each lap

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Ok that is by far the most painful surgery I've ever had :unsure: In a world of hurt. 

Welcome to the club mate B)

1700m swim, my daughter did 300m of swimming also and once I got home after showing my daughter how to do the nutbush I put my new Altras on and went for a 8km jog

• Like 3

I planned an 8km swim & a couple others were turning up. I then slept through my alarm for the first time since last Summer. :shy:

Maybe my body was telling me I needed the sleep. I'll go with that line anyway.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KieranR said:

1700m swim, my daughter did 300m of swimming...

Excellent, so we can now get our kids to do some of our swim training for us...  Why didn't they tell me this years ago, I could of done with a bit of a hand to get my swim training done! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

Excellent, so we can now get our kids to do some of our swim training for us...  Why didn't they tell me this years ago, I could of done with a bit of a hand to get my swim training done! :lol:

I have to follow her because she likes to look around and see what the world is doing, then in her warm up she was doing frogs legs and i copped a kick to the face, she has bloody long legs that kid!

• Haha 1

For those interested here's my last two days. Approx 8 weeks out from NZ so starting on some bigger days. Will try and post a couple of key days each week. (Keeping in mind that these are KEY days and are supported by a foundation of a lot of other work and recovery).

Anyway, this week.

Tuesday:

AM: 2.15hr ride including 5x5min at or slightly above typical 'threshold' (390w, 391w, 388w, 387w, 403w) followed by 30min at IM pace (309w - approx 10w above). 

PM: 65min run as 20min warm up, 2x15min wirh 5min reco, 10min cool down. 15min broken as 5min @ 3.50-4min/k, 5min @ 3.40-3.45, 5min sub 3.30.

Wednesday:

AM: 5km swim with main set of 2 x (4x200 on 2.40, 4x50 fly on 60)

Breakfast then straight into 3.10hr ride (110k) incl 5x12min @ IM pace (300w) on low rpm with 3min reco. Rest of ride easy.

PM: 1.25hr/20k steady aerobic run along the beach

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, lachie94 said:

Breakfast then straight into 3.10hr ride (110k) incl 5x12min @ IM pace (300w) on low rpm with 3min reco. Rest of ride easy.

What was breakfast? Curious what you eat that you are able to train on. 

19 minutes ago, Cranky said:

What was breakfast? Curious what you eat that you are able to train on. 

3 egg scramble with half an avo smashed on to two saladas plus my one milky (lactose free milk for me) coffee for the day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing, Very impressive couple of days.

Do you mostly schedule key days on consecutive days? 

1 minute ago, Limited said:

Thanks for sharing, Very impressive couple of days.

Do you mostly schedule key days on consecutive days? 

My week is usually structured around a 'recovery' day for the legs Monday with swim and maybe a very short, easy spin + gym. Solid Tues-Thurs. Friday often a bit less volume and then solid weekend.

This works well for me as have been doing work experience in the office on Mondays

• Thanks 2

3.3km swim in the 25m pool

3km straight in 55min

300m cool down

Goodnight Australia

• Like 1

Had a long day yesterday with work trip to Luxembourg and back in a day, ugh.

40 min Zwift up the long side of Leith Hill.

• Like 1

30min spin outside.....yes outdoors!?!:lol:

checking the bike for tomorrow

• Like 1

For the first time in what feels like forever, I did more distance on my feet today than in the water.

4:15 start at the dam for 4.3km, then home and took the dog for 6km. It's her longest walk ever, and we ran some sections of it (I suppose you could say I ran & she trotted) and we ran the last 2km, albeit slowly.

I'm seeing an exercise physiologist later today, so I figured I may as well be able to feel where the knee pain is. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

took the dog for 6km. It's her longest walk ever, and we ran some sections of it (I suppose you could say I ran & she trotted) and we ran the last 2km, albeit slowly.

I have the laziest Labrador in history....is not interested in exercise, hates water, i gab her collar and lead and she turns the other way and finds somewhere to hide, i did manage to get her in the Ute a few months ago and take her for a stroll up the hill...after our last Labrador who was a nutcase, i thought maybe she wouldn't be as bad but still somewhat active...nope she just wants to sleep...all day everyday..

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm seeing an exercise physiologist later today, so I figured I may as well be able to feel where the knee pain is. :)

When my OS was talking to me in hospital the other day, he also said something like "that meniscus trim I did 5yrs ago didn't go so well".

I assured him the meniscus bit was quite OK now, and that I think the PFS was coming on in the months before the tear/surgery anyway - and that PFS feels like all your cartilage has suddenly gone.

He made the interesting observation that many knee pain issues feels like all your cartilage is gone, and it is hard to distinguish between different problems.

My general conclusion after looking at this stuff for years is if the knee pain is in a very specific spot, you can usually narrow it down to a very specific problem.  But if it a diffuse, burning/ache/stiffness all over the front/sides of the knee, and it moves around, it is more likely PFS = chronic synovial (and/or other structure) inflammation which only responds to serious activity reduction and (perhaps) a long-term course of anti-inflams to knock it out....and even then it can lurk and flare if you overdo it.  I don't think you have embraced serious activity reduction yet - I know I sure failed at that :blush: - but now it is enforced which might be a blessing in disguise.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

My Retriever is a nut, but doesn't tend to like long walks, especially in Summer, but today she just kept going. I let her off the lead for the first half on the back road & she just kept running back & forward, and then the last bit she just wanted to keep moving. Normally she looks for shade & lays down.

She is however now in the air conditioned lounge-room sound asleep.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I don't think you have embraced serious activity reduction yet

I know.

I keep trying. I've given up the pool now so I don't have to push off 200 times in the mornings, but I just get carried away with things. I'll see what he says in a couple hours.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I know.

I keep trying. I've given up the pool now so I don't have to push off 200 times in the mornings, but I just get carried away with things. I'll see what he says in a couple hours.

And if you are like me, you are really crap at just doing nothing.

I found even freestyle kicking aggravated mine, so maybe you need to consider 12mths swimming with just pull & band...and minimal pool pushoff....and no landscaping....and no gardening............ah fark, forget it :lol:

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm seeing an exercise physiologist later today

Verdict: Can't easily identify the issue. No obvious gait problems. No obvious glute activation issues. Given me some Foam roller work and only walking. 

I'm glad Medicare paid for that & not me.

So, back from 10 day holiday in SE Queensland. About to do my first cycle session on the Kickr since Tuesday last week.

whilst in Queensland I managed 5 runs on the beach (done as a run/swim/run etc etc) of between 3 and 5km running (interspersed with 1 to 1.5km ocean swimming) every second day and at least a km of ‘ins and outs’ surf swimming every other day - based at Mooloolaba and then Cylinder Beach on Nth Stradbroke, with one day off whilst in transit via a night in Vegas.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Verdict: Can't easily identify the issue. No obvious gait problems. No obvious glute activation issues. Given me some Foam roller work and only walking. 

I'm glad Medicare paid for that & not me.

lol, though just walking is actually a good idea.  That seems to work for a lot of chronic knee pain sufferers but you need to figure out the duration and intensity your knees can handle - which is basically trial & error.

I still do an easy flat 20-30min walk most mornings to lubricate the knees and save anything more intense for lunchtime.