prizna

What training did you do today?

On 07/05/2017 at 9:13 PM, Suburban Kid said:

Port 70.3. Bombed 10km into the run. Last 11km was NOT pretty. But I can only strip fitter from it

SK, how about a race report including what you leant on your first 70.3.  

FM

• Like 2

21.49 at Parkrun. A new PB, but disappointed......

• Like 2

Tried to get out for a ride this morning. View was worth it.

IMG_6741.JPG

The karma let me down. Stopped to help a guy who was having issues. Gave him my co2 then flatted a few minutes later. Rode home about 5ks on a flat front. ?

• Like 2

55kms with about 1,000m vert, pushing so much power that I snapped yet another spoke. Might be time to invest in a better quality set of wheels.

Ride too short for snacks (total lie) but got donuts and kebab while Mother's day shopping

22 hours ago, Flanman said:

SK, how about a race report including what you leant on your first 70.3.  

FM

When I get some time ill do a race report, was my 4th 70.3. Felt like my first I made so many rookie mistakes

Double park run -ve split, then a 2.8k swim later in the morning. Nice

75km flat ride this morning, then a 2km bay swim this arvo.  First open water swim for about a month, it was cold but still very swimmable (and I'm soft)

90 min trail run. Recovery from IM last week and taper for UTA100 all rolled into one!

Byron Bay Olympic tri.  Close to personal worst from 8 attempts which probably has a lot to do with my lack of posts on this thread

• Like 1

130k ride to Hope Island and back. 5 weeks to MS Brissie to the Bay ride which is 160k, so on track.

• Like 1

Better half went to the "Breast Cancer Run " with the eldest daughter, then breakfast.

I cleaned the house, did the washing, bathed the dog, & washed the wife's car - it's called Mother's Day :)

(life will resume tomorrow at 5am).

• Like 2

On 13/05/2017 at 8:38 PM, Andrew #1 said:

90mins on the Kickr at 85-90% FPT with a 25min run brick. 

8km recovery run yesterday

1 hour V02 max trainer road work out on the Kickr early this morning followed by 1800M swim before work.

2nd day in a row for me after getting the all clear to return to training after 3 months off.  Very small steps, but really noticing the lack of stretching and core work so need to concentrate on those before upping the distance too much.  To think I used to actually like the rowing machine...

Back to running this morning and starting my Sunny Coast 70.3 campaign. 7K around Brisbane - jogging speed as I rolled the ankle a fortnight ago when trying to trail run. 

did a couple of laps of kew boulevard this morning, complete with a couple of extra strength efforts for good measure. It was great, about 3 hours plus coffee.

Then I tried to go to archery, only got about 50 shots in before my buggered shoulder couldn't hold the bow still enough to get any accuracy and my form was going to shit so I went home.

31 minutes ago, torx said:

did a couple of laps of kew boulevard this morning, complete with a couple of extra strength efforts for good measure. It was great, about 3 hours plus coffee.

Then I tried to go to archery, only got about 50 shots in before my buggered shoulder couldn't hold the bow still enough to get any accuracy and my form was going to shit so I went home.

Torch, I asked before but you might not have seen it. Can you give us a run down on the archery side. Not too many of us would know about the skills, training, costs, events etc that "Robin Hoods" do. 

Ta

FM

• Like 1

5.4km run at lunch, gave it a nudge in the second half and strained a calf.

No food associated with this one, probably why I strained my calf (it was my good calf too).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flanman said:

Torch, I asked before but you might not have seen it. Can you give us a run down on the archery side. Not too many of us would know about the skills, training, costs, events etc that "Robin Hoods" do. 

Ta

FM

Archery is a bit like cycling, many different bows for different purposes. You have traditional bows, replicating bows and technology from throughout history. There is olympic recurve, which is shown off predominantly at the olympics. There is compound archery, which uses mechanical pulleys to accelerate the arrows far faster than a traditional or olympic bow can manage (generally used for hunting, but there is also a small amount of target archery happens with these.

Archery is all about form and repetition e.g. drawing the arrow back to the exact same place on your chin gives you the same amount of power and arrow speed every time, and therefore replication. It's all about practice.

A starter recurve set-up will set you back between $300 and $400. When you get to the pointy end it can cost a fair bit more, but not as much as cycling - a state of the art compound bow can cost as much as $2300, top of the line sight about $500 or so, release aid about $200 etc.Arrows are relatively cheap but consumable, a bit like tubes (about $10 to $30 each) but they get lost, or you shoot them into each other and they need to be replaced.

There are a few different types of competition - olympic target archery is the most well renowned, which I'm sure we've all seen every 4 years or so. There is also 3d archery, which features foam animals with scoring zones, obstacles to shoot around (trees) and unspecified distances. There is also field archery which is similar to 3d, and clouting which is a bit like racing penny farthings.

A robin hood is when you shoot an arrow into the back of another arrow so perfectly that it splits it. It's the equivalent of a hole in one, in rarity as well as that it is easier to manage the closer it is (think mini golf vs par 5). It does differ, though, in that after the first couple it stops being exciting and starts to get annoying and expensive. That said I know many people who have never got one at any distance.

Globally, archery for hunting purposes is muuuuch bigger than target archery. I would say in roughly the same ratio as triathlon is bigger than time trialling. In Australia it is roughly 50/50.

2.5km.swim squad and actually held some really good 100m times (for me) after 3 days off. Thinking I should incorporate more rest days into my schedule. I think I'm burning myself out (not just the training, but with work and parenting as well). But I'm scared if I rest too much I'll lose some speed/fitness. I'm sure it is a fine line and a bit of a balancing act. Would be interested to hear how many rest days others have ..... time for a new thread ?!

Thanks for that Torx  (not my spellcheck changer Torch). Interesting and good to see another type of athlete on here. 

FM

6 hours ago, Cranky said:

Would be interested to hear how many rest days others have ..... time for a new thread ?!

What resting did you do today?

or 

What training didn't you do today?

I like both of them. :)