I love it. "Yeah, I had a break after qualifying and racing Kona. I didn't do anything for 4 days!!!" I reckon most people would switch the word 'days' for 'months'. Freak.

11. Would you like to add anything?

Thanks for appearing and hope a few more questions will come through.

First of all, thanks for having me here.

I just want to thank everyone on this forum. It really has made the sport so much more fun. I KNOW that I would not have enjoyed my Ironman races anywhere near as much if it weren't for all you guys. This community is so supportive and friendly and even though there are times where we have a dig at each other we all know that if we ever needed it, we'd have each other's backs. Not to mention the amount of advice I have received from you all. You are all a really generous bunch, offering all sorts of support. Special thanks to Shuffla for having an amazing wife (who just happens to be a great coach!); to Roxii for lending my his Ayups so I didn't crash and die in the dark during my early morning rides (and for keeping this place running to allow these amazing friendships to form); to IronJimbo for rescuing me my first night at Port, trying to put up the van in the dark and rain, alone; to all the Trannies at IMAUS for making it such an awesome experience (keeping me company at the Carbo and Awards nights) that I had to do another one!; to Ironman Foz for accompanying me to my very first roll down at IMAus and educating me on the process; to Turtle for sending me some compressions calf guards (I don't even know why or how this came about - it was so long ago); to RBR for sending me his Profile Design aero water bottle setup (we all remember that thread!); to Hacq1 for lending me his bike box so my previous Liv survived the trip to and from Cairns and Kona; to iFoz for videoing my KQ acceptance, and standing with me on the Cairns start line; to Leon for giving me the support talk, when I needed it most, out on the run at Cairns, to CatLady for saying hi on the QTS course a couple of times in my early days here; to Leon, Noknees, Mungo, Ernie, Infinite Jase & AP for making my time in Kona AWESOME (did I miss anyone?); to Nicoloco for complimenting me on my clean race in Noosa; to AA7 for continually kicking my butt and giving me someone to chase!!; and to all of you who have been game enough to become my Facebook friends (you know who you are) and put up with all my shit in not just one place but two! ..... I know there will be someone I have forgotten and I apologise for that.

So just thanks to everyone. This place is awesome ... and addictive!! Now ... back to writing report cards! :sleep1:

• Like 5

I think she means relax as in don't train. No coach, no triathlon just drink beer and eat cake. You need to force yourself to take a break even when you don't feel like it.

Yeah. I'm still working on this concept!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I find the whole concept of Cranky answering Q instead of asking them very troubling :D

Lol!

I love it. "Yeah, I had a break after qualifying and racing Kona. I didn't do anything for 4 days!!!" I reckon most people would switch the word 'days' for 'months'. Freak.

Why thank you [emoji6] [emoji1]

• Like 1

BONUS QUESTIONS.

1. Who were the first Kona winners Male/Female? (easy one to begin with).

2. What was the "The Crawl?" What year and who were the athletes involved?

3. At least 2 other very well known female triathletes also performrmed "Crawls" at Kona. Who were they and what years? One might not have been a "Crawl" but it was a collapse while leading.

• Like 1

8. Then the family angle. All of the above can't be done without family support. Talk about Darren and your girls and and how the support helps you. And because it's so time consuming, what deals and commitments have you made with you made with them for the future.

Dazz is great. He gets the shits with the fact that I wake him up (not on purpose) most mornings when I get up, and that I am always either training or tired, but come race day, there isn't a better supporter out there. He actually made me cry (happy tears) in Cairns. On the run course he was screaming at me with so much emotion I just started bawling. Then he thought there was something wrong and started stressing. LOL! He gets so pumped at races, but he also worries a lot. Especially when I was starting my runs at 3am in the dark. Garmin live tracker has been great for that. He can see where I am while I am out training and if I'm still moving at a reasonable pace, that eases his mind.

The girls aren't really supportive as such. They (my two little ones) have never known any different. My first tri was when Lily was 6 months old, so it's pretty standard that I am never home when they wake up in the morning. Their only aim is to stay in their room until 6:30am so they don't bug Daddy too much before I get home!

As far as deals - I've made a few of those along the way. Luckily they were written in pencil!

1. Port IM would be my only IM (ended up doing 3)

2. I would get a coach, but only until Cairns (stayed with her for an extra 4 months!)

3. After Kona I would settle down with my training and go back to short course. - This one I have kept ... well not the settling down bit, but that's just my personality!

I agree Daz is a great supporter, he always gives me a big cheer also.

• Like 2

4. Jo-lene. You are highly ranked and placed in AG 35-39 racing in Australia, going off recent results. Recently 4th at Noosa coming off the gruelling Kona race. That leaves 3 women ahead of you currently. Who are they and what would it take to beat them.

1. Hannah Hogan - nothing short of a miracle! She is a weapon! She beat me in Noosa last year by 10 minutes and this year at Noosa by 11 minutes. I think I would have to adopt out my kids and husband, give up work and do nothing but train, eat and rest to get up to her level.

2 & 3. - I don't know these girls, but they beat me by 7 minutes and 2 minutes.

And then there's AA7 who, once she recovers from her injury, will be back kicking my butt again.

So what do I need to do to beat these girls? I don't know. I guess train more specifically for the OD races and learn to hurt more in training. I also think that I am at a bit of a disadvantage as I don't get the 'rest time' that others MAY get. I walk in the door from training in the morning and it's: hang out the washing, shower, make breakfasts, make lunches, "What's on at school today, girls?", "Get this, Get that!", "Get in the car", off to school, work all day (other than my nap in my lunch break - which I am VERY grateful for and understand that many others may not get this), marking and preparing for school in the afternoons while I try and keep the girls out of my hair, get home, unpack bags, get dinner ready, do homework, read a story (while I foam roller at the same time), clean up from dinner, go to bed, wake up in the morning and do it all again. Dazz is usually home earlier than me on Thursdays and Fridays so when he can, he does dinner. That's a big help. But I think that the girls that I race, without kids to look after, come home and put their feet up. This is the one thing that I'm missing.

So that's my "poor me" rant. I'll try not to have another one of those! I do make work for myself though. On days that I am not busy I don't know what to do with myself!!

I am hoping to focus on the OD more for the next couple of years, so I'll see if I can at least get a bit closer to these girls.

Yep, always just come home and put my feet up.

But we also work jobs that require us to be at work for longer than 6hrs/ day and don't get 3 months holiday every year :shock:

• Like 3

I just want to thank everyone on this forum. It really has made the sport so much more fun. I KNOW that I would not have enjoyed my Ironman races anywhere near as much if it weren't for all you guys.

No worries Crankster, I reckon most of us have enjoyed your journey almost as much as you have.

Couldn't agree with you more that being part of the Trannies mob just makes the journey even more enjoyable. Thanks for sharing your story with us :thumbsup:.

• Like 2

Yeah. I'm still working on this concept!

Me too! I always daydream of my post race week - going to the pub at lunch with my workmates, eating donuts for brekkie and basically doing bugger all exercise, but inevitably I'll have the monday off and possibly the tuesday. Back into it wednesday!

• Like 1

I agree Daz is a great supporter, he always gives me a big cheer also.

And that's impressive, seeing you kick my butt!!

• Like 1

Well done Jolene and a great Q and A.

PS - I can nail those bonus questions.

Crank it out. Well know but worth a review and a think back to the year of occurence.

BONUS QUESTIONS.

1. Who were the first Kona winners Male/Female? (easy one to begin with).

2. What was the "The Crawl?" What year and who were the athletes involved?

3. At least 2 other very well known female triathletes also performrmed "Crawls" at Kona. Who were they and what years? One might not have been a "Crawl" but it was a collapse while leading.

I think I can come up with one from question 2 and one from question 3. The years would be a bit of a stab. Haven't Google it yet. No. 1 stumps me.

• Like 1

Just to show how much I need to get out more, these answers come off the top of my grey head ...

1. Gordon Haller and Lyn Lemaire

2. There were two - Julie Moss, with Kathleen McCartney passing her to win, in 1982 (this is the incident that apparently prompted Mark Allen to take up triathlon and is one of the most famous incidents in Hawaiian Ironman history). Also Sian Welch and Wendy Ingraham crawling to the finish in '97 or '98.

3. The collapse while leading was Paula Newby Fraser (you might have heard of her AP, she's The Best) in '95 - PNF won her eighth and final title (I think) the following year. Jan Ripple, a lovely lady who was built like a brick s..thouse (great physique for short course, not so good for IM) had a famous crawl to the finish in '87.

• Like 2

She's a mum. They don't do that. Ever

No training obviously is the answer.

I love it. Â "Yeah, I had a break after qualifying and racing Kona. Â I didn't do anything for 4 days!!!" Â I reckon most people would switch the word 'days' for 'months'. Â Freak.

Yep. It feels like I haven't trained for 4 months.

Well done cranky good read.

Just to show how much I need to get out more, these answers come off the top of my grey head ...

1. Gordon Haller and Lyn Lemaire

2. There were two - Julie Moss, with Kathleen McCartney passing her to win, in 1982 (this is the incident that apparently prompted Mark Allen to take up triathlon and is one of the most famous incidents in Hawaiian Ironman history). Also Sian Welch and Wendy Ingraham crawling to the finish in '97 or '98.

3. The collapse while leading was Paula Newby Fraser (you might have heard of her AP, she's The Best) in '95 - PNF won her eighth and final title (I think) the following year. Jan Ripple, a lovely lady who was built like a brick s..thouse (great physique for short course, not so good for IM) had a famous crawl to the finish in '87.

Thank you! You saved me! I know about these things but I have no idea of years or names! I would have just made a fool of myself...again. I would have had to cheat. So am I off the hook because you've answered ones for me?

She's a mum. They don't do that. Ever

Correct ... at least not if you're trying to do it right

No training obviously is the answer.

Gasp. Wash your mouth out young lady!

Yep. It feels like I haven't trained for 4 months.

Well done cranky good read.

Thanks RBR

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

We do look for more participation on Ten Q's, which we got here.

I have computer and connectivity issues until around 12 December. Will be back then.

• Like 1

No worries Crankster, I reckon most of us have enjoyed your journey almost as much as you have.

Couldn't agree with you more that being part of the Trannies mob just makes the journey even more enjoyable. Thanks for sharing your story with us :thumbsup:.

+1

• Like 2

to IronJimbo for rescuing me my first night at Port, trying to put up the van in the dark and rain, alone;

Always happy to help a damsel in distress

Many congratulations on all you've achieved over the past year and a half Cranks. You've shown us all the real meaning of determination, and it's been inspirational (and entertaining!) to watch. Anthing really is possible!

You've got my vote for Tranny of the year

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

• Like 2