Peter

Kangaroo Island 3.8 / 180 / 42.2

On 20/09/2017 at 4:16 PM, Torn said:

Is anyone doing it?

Guven the south aussies complain about lack of races they better turn up or just take up cycling. Cause there will be no triathlons. 

• Like 1

88 entrants in total, spread across full distance, half, oly, aquabike and duathlon

We had 340 entrants at the Murray Man in SA here Nov 5th , locals are going to Busso so I doubt they will be doing this one 

one person entered the Duathlon there and he DNF'ed. 

Disaster you'd think.  Knocked off a 4.47 for 180k and then DNF'ed the run.  Shocker

On 11/26/2017 at 7:02 PM, Peter said:

one person entered the Duathlon there and he DNF'ed. 

Disaster you'd think.  Knocked off a 4.47 for 180k and then DNF'ed the run.  Shocker

I wondered what happened to him!

He was trying to get Petr and obviously burnt out!

I really enjoyed the course, although it was a "tough" day... but 28 ppl doing the full distance was a bit disappointing.

hi guys thought i would provide some insight of event on weekend at KI from organisers. To be honest few weeks ago i was on fence if we do it again after this year. After what happened over weekend bloody oath we will give it a go and try and grow this event. I have been around the industry for long time, and this event just had a great feel and believe most people there also loved what whole weekend was about. We had some great stories out of event. You haven't been to KI come with family and race

More numbers would be great for sure. Never going to get ironam numbers but i reckon we can grow it to solid numbers. Great clear warm swim (bit rough this year with wind). Great road surface for bike leg. Great marathon (refer winners reaction after 188 irondistance events Peta rated best his ever done)

Heres is post event press release

The first annual Kangaroo Island Sufferfest Championships, held over the weekend from November 24-26, was an astounding success for participants, organisers and locals alike.

With over 250 competitors over weekend and more than 750 tourists descending on the Island from every State in Australia as well as Alaska, the Czech Republic, Japan, the USA, the UK and Spain, the overall feedback was that KI has the most beautiful and well kept ride and run courses in the world.

Friday’s family events were a terrific experience for all, with nearly 100 competing in the popular colour run and kid’s distances.  A free outdoor cinema on Friday evening rounded off a perfect start to the weekend.

Saturday was a terrific display of athleticism with numerous shorter distances being staged, but the efforts of every individual athlete on the Sunday iron distances were absolutely spectacular.  With a half IronFest, full IronFest and Olympic Triathlon on offer, there are so many special stories to share.

The overall winner and male champion of the full IronFest was Peter Vabrousek, with a winning time of 9 hours, 47 minutes and 55 seconds in an event that included a 3.8 km swim, 180 km cycle and 42.2 km run. 

Catherine Allison was the first female across the line and third finisher overall with a final time of 10 hours, 30 minutes and 1 second.  This was Catherine’s first ever iron distance, therefore, to finish first in her category and 3rd overall was astounding.

Peter Vaughan, who competed in the 60-69 year old male category, has been making his way around the world competing in iron distance events.  He’s crossed the finish line of 106 iron events in total, and has a goal of competing in every iron distance there is to offer in the world.  Even with 106 events under his belt, Vaughan was quick to share in the majority’s feedback that KI was the most spectacular run course he’s ever experienced, and he finished with a time of 15 hours, 6 minutes and 30 second.

Jane Anderson was the final finisher to cross the line.  Coming from Echuca, Jane started her race at 630 am.  16 hours, 43 minutes and 58 seconds later, Jane crossed the finish line a Sufferfest Champion well into the eve.  Jane decided a few years ago to take control of her life and her health and has been racing ever since.  Jane is an inspiration to so many and is a wonderful example of perseverance and determination.  In her words, “Sometimes the hardest step is just deciding to change and making that first step.  I’ll never be a champion.  I’ll never come first.  But I’ll achieve some goals down the track… Surround yourself with positive influencers and go do it”.

Finally, there’s Bek McMahon, a Norwood Football Club AFL Women’s Captain and champion, who damaged her back during a game just 5 short months ago.  Bek rehabilitated herself with nerves of steel, overcoming 2 fractured vertebrae, a bruised kidney and lacerated liver, to finish her first half iron distance with a time of 7 hours, 23 minutes and 10 seconds, all to raise money for an 8-year old boy who stole her heart at the Ronald McDonald House in Adelaide.  For more about Bek’s story visit https://rmhacreateyourownevent.everydayhero.com/au/bek-mcmahon

There are many wonderful personal stories to be shared from the weekend, but one of the greatest stories is Kangaroo Island itself.  As one of Australia’s most stunning destinations, it was terrific to see so many people discovering its charm and beauty.  The Ozone Hotel continually had it’s doors full with visitors, as did many other local shops, and the after party at the Bay of Shoals Winery saw many endurance athletes celebrating their achievements with their family and friends.

Scott Hollow, Owner of Event People, the masterminds behind Sufferfest, looks forward to coming back in the future, “We stage Sufferfest events in quite a few areas around Australia, and the people of KI have been absolutely terrific in making this one of the best we’ve held yet.  We are really looking forward to coming back again in 2018”.

ENDS

Some Great Photos from Islander

http://www.theislanderonline.com.au/story/5086513/sufferfest-sprintfest-november-25/?cs=1525

http://www.theislanderonline.com.au/story/5086483/sufferfest-kidsfest-november-24/?cs=1903

http://www.theislanderonline.com.au/story/5086419/sufferfest-colour-run-november-25/?cs=1525

http://www.theislanderonline.com.au/story/5086441/sufferfest-10-kilometre-fun-run/?cs=1525

Please see some quotes below from competitors-

Local to KI Anne Ellson Loved watching the colour run and all the events on Sunday. Lots of inspiration to give it a go myself next year (shorter events)!

Maggie Paltridge From WA. Excellent organisation, amazing scenery, great camaraderie amongst the athletes. Definitely a destination for a triathlon whatever your distance and perfect for a holiday afterwards! Thanks for a great event

Bec Bennett Fantastic and well organised event!! loved it, great opportunity to give it a go on our back door step, hope you come back next year, as I have had alot of people saying they would give it a go, especially with the change of course. Well done and Thank you

Maren Krupa Norris I am a KI resident and loved it! Our entire family got involved in an event. I travel off island to do races and tris, and thought it was incredibly well run from an athlete standpoint. Great course, helpful volunteers, loved the atmosphere, overall a great event! I think the local community could get on board and participate more if there was more information available locally leading up to the event - a lot of people did not know it was here. Flyers in the schools, posting on our local facebook groups, flyers that could be distributed around to local businesses. But my entire family loved it and really hope you come back next year!

Darren Mark Cutler Great spirit amongst the competitors and a stunning course, win win

Tessa Shalay I participated in the 10km run and colour run. I also volunteered on Sunday. I LOVED everything I had to do with sufferfest. I am a KI local, and It was awesome seeing all the people out walking, running, riding in the days leading up to the weekend. The atmosphere the event bought to our little town was something really special. I had never experienced any tri events before, and being a volunteer and having the fortune to see all the amazing athletes at the end stages of their races gave me a whole new appreciation of what the body can do! It has also given me new goals to work towards. If sufferfest comes back I will be entering a smaller tri event. I have spoken to a lot of their locals who have also said very similar statements. I will also take any opportunity I can to volunteer again - I count myself very lucky to have had the conversations I did with the athletes.

Michelle Cowans Brilliant event, fantastic organisation and great camaraderie on the course. I just LOVED that there was 2/3 of a triathlon I could do with an injured foot, wish I could have stayed for the presentation. It was one of the best triathlon rides I've ever done - stunningly beautiful. I loved every second of it and will be back next year - thanks KI Sufferfest

Roger Branford As an Island boy from way back now living in Melbourne, this was a must do race for me. But from anyone's perspective, the whole weekend was terrific. The comradery among the competitors, the personal touch of the organisers and the support from locals and visitors made for a great atmosphere.

The course was excellent especially the run leg. Glad they changed it from the original design and didn't make us run up the hill near the old mulberry tree. <image002.png>😊
Bay of shoals winery for the awards ceremony - perfect.
The swim and bike only option (Aquabike) is a brilliant idea. Great for those who don't run anymore due to injury issues.
Oh , and the Island is a great place to holiday after the event.

Luke Johnston I hope this race can continue. Such a destination race that people are seeking now days. So relaxed and full of fun and banter. Every leg had its challenges and bonuses. I'm sure you can name yours.

Winner Womens Ironfest event - Catherine Allison Well done Matt and crew. You guys put on a killer course in a wonderful location. Thanks for your hard work

The Mens Winner – Peta from Czech Republic quoted as saying best marathon course he has done and he has done 188 IronDistance races https://www.facebook.com/kisufferfest/?hc_ref=ARR4r5O39C5552JQXgw4XN7aYIjJ6W3FFZfCNyomdwb7eWbKP8gcN6N4EIxEZDucJgA&fref=nf

• Like 1

Mike Reilly said anyone who even attempts to put on a Irondistance race with out the backing of IM or Challenge has massive balls.  He said so many things can go wrong & the cost are crazy. 

Respect for putting on a race & fingers crossed the event can continue to grow.

My friend raced the half and said he really enjoyed it.  

Well done Pippen, sounds like a great race. I'm a big supporter of the sufferfest events and have just done Rotto for the 3rd year running, will be doing others this season for sure!

Well done Pippen. Sounds like you have the makings of a great event weekend.

For those old enough to remember, this is basically how the ironman at Forster started. 

Some feed back from people who looked at traveling over to compete. Seems the biggest barrier to most travel plans was the cost of the ferry. Bit expensive according to some of them. I know that's out of your control, but it appears to be one of the major factors stopping a lot more people fronting up for a race on KI.

might see you next year. There you go, it's bound to be a wet race if I turn up.

hey greyman our entry was $500. How much Ironman? Still cheaper entry/ferry/accom etc for our race. KI has to be visited at least once. To be honest year and half ago i hadn't heard of it. Its a gem.

Sealink ferry is expensive but 2 things will happen next year. Qantas now fly from Melbourne direct as new bigger runaway so bigger planes. REX had monopoly so should drive price down. New ferry company just come on board. Sealink had monopoly so again should be bring prices down

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wife spent a week there walking in September, said it was a great place to visit.

Sounds like a great venue for a race. 

If the race was Ironman Branded & with Kona slots, it would get the support.

Most of the people racing Cozumel are two or three flights + a Ferry ride away.

Example: My buddies flew

San Francisco, Houston, Cancun, bus ride to Playa Del Carman and then ferry across to Cozumel.

I flew Adelaide, Sydney, LA, Houston, Cancun, bus ride & ferry, then a taxi to the resort.

People will use any BS excuse not to support these little races.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:25 PM, BenjieB said:

Anyone know what the average water/air temp is in November? Seriously considering this.

Water temp was around 21-22 degrees on race day so very niiicccceee. Day temp was around 21-24 degrees and overcast so perfect. Was windy and can get little windy that time of year, but plenty of protection on course

• Like 1