Torn

Tubular tyres

1 hour ago, -H- said:

Oh okay, you're younger than I thought.  I left in 1997. 

ripe old age of 30! 

15 hours ago, mhvh said:

Actually, a lot of teams use Veloflex or FMB, but have them rebadged to conform to sponsor commitments.  This is especially true in the spring classics

While this is true the majority use conti comps 

Has anyone got a good youtube video on how best to glue a tub? Also I've bought a disc and 808 wheelset. All three came with Zipp Tangentes, the disc 21mm and the 808s 23mm, I'm going to sell the rear. Should I just run the 808 with the 23mm on and the disc with the 21mm on or should I put the 23mm on the disc?

I'd love to use tape, but everyone I've spoken to reckon it's shit. Although I'll only be racing flat roads, no hills, not many turns or anything?

Edited by zed

On 22/09/2017 at 4:17 AM, ironpo said:
1 hour ago, zed said:

I'd love to use tape, but everyone I've spoken to reckon it's shit. Although I'll only be racing flat roads, no hills, not many turns or anything

You're not speaking to the right people then.  Talk to Ben from Caden, his tape is the shit.  I've been riding everywhere using it, hills ,flats you name it and no issues.  

3 hours ago, zed said:

I'd love to use tape, but everyone I've spoken to reckon it's shit

My bike shop guy said the same to me.

So, I had a crack at gluing a tyre today.

My test ride will be at the crit track at slow speed :)

I found Goof Off at Bunnings when I got my plumbers tape for the valve extensions.

28 minutes ago, Tyno said:

My bike shop guy said the same to me.

So, I had a crack at gluing a tyre today.

My test ride will be at the crit track at slow speed :)

I found Goof Off at Bunnings when I got my plumbers tape for the valve extensions.

Well gluing a tyre should take at least 2 days.  Best results 3 days. Go easy on any descents😀

On the rare occasion that I get a flat I change without gluing/taping and sometimes forget for days to put some tape on.  I don't think about it until I hit the hills or go to race a crit. 

Unfortunately you won't be able to tell the success of your gluing until it fails or doesn't!

With the amount of times I procrastinate this training caper, it will have plenty of time to cure :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zed said:

Anyone know where I can buy the 3M tape?

Get off Ben , he will send it to you for free

as a vivid user of glue for 15 years , I have been converted to bens tape and reckon it's great 

far easier and heaps faster than glue

not sure if I was 110kgs hammering down a Italian decent I'd be relying on the tape holding ,  I'd be so keen , but I'm never gunner be 110kgs 😊

1 hour ago, ironpo said:

Get off Ben , he will send it to you for free

as a vivid user of glue for 15 years , I have been converted to bens tape and reckon it's great 

far easier and heaps faster than glue

not sure if I was 110kgs hammering down a Italian decent I'd be relying on the tape holding ,  I'd be so keen , but I'm never gunner be 110kgs 😊

Cheers IP. Yeah Ben just texted me back and is going to send me some which is awesome. And yeah I'm 72kg and will be racing flat stuff, very few hills or turns  so should be right. 

Well, I obviously didn't get something right, cos the rear is flat as a tack today.

6 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Well, I obviously didn't get something right, cos the rear is flat as a tack today.

stick some pit stop in it?

23 hours ago, truck said:

But yeah, will go down quickly with latex tubes.

Front was low, but I thought within reason.

Rear was totally flat, so, yeah, probably stuffed up taping/screwing in at least one of the extenders.

What do others carry in the way of spares when racing 70.3+. I was going to carry one tyre + 1 can pitstop. Spare tyre won't be pre-glued, will just go straight onto the wheel which will have tape on it, not glue. Will use a razor blade to get tyre off. 

1 hour ago, zed said:

What do others carry in the way of spares when racing 70.3+. I was going to carry one tyre + 1 can pitstop. Spare tyre won't be pre-glued, will just go straight onto the wheel which will have tape on it, not glue. Will use a razor blade to get tyre off. 

It really depends on the course, and your race intentions. If it's like the GC HIM I did in 2009, I took 2 spares. The road surface was crap. You spent half your time dodging dislodged waterbottles. If the surface is good & clean, then 1 should be fine. 

If you're out for a FoP finish, and not interested in "just going round" then that kind of means 2 flats has put paid to your day anyway, so you're only carrying the 2nd to get home.

two things regarding tape - 

1)I put it on last night and the tape is a little bit wide for my wheel so when I put the tyre on, there's a slight amount of tape that's sticking out. I've heard that this can be a problem, with moisture getting in? I couldn't really find an easy way of trimming/cutting it without damaging the tyre.

2) I ended up removing the tyre and I'll have another crack with tape, but perhaps try and trim it beforehand. However I was a bit surprised how easy the tyre came off the wheel and how easy the tape came off the wheel. I just ripped it off. A bit concerning! This was only 2 hours after sticking it on though? And this was Jantex tape. I haven't got my 3m tape from Ben yet and am racing this weekend, so need to get it sorted.

Jantex tape should be fine - tend to give mine 24hrs with the tub on at 100psi and it’s good to go. You must have narrow wheels for it not to fit? Did you leave any rim tape on as well or was the wheel clean back to the carbon?

Edited by truck

1 minute ago, truck said:

Jantex tape should be fine - tend to give mine 24hrs with the tub on at 100psi and it’s good to go. You must have narrow wheels for it not to fit? Did you leave any rim tape on as well or was the wheel clean back to the carbon?

No rim tape. This was on my disc. To be honest, I think it does fit, but I didn't lay the tape down in a perfect down the middle, so there are a couple of little sections where there is a small amount of tape hanging out. 

6 hours ago, zed said:

No rim tape. This was on my disc. To be honest, I think it does fit, but I didn't lay the tape down in a perfect down the middle, so there are a couple of little sections where there is a small amount of tape hanging out. 

That is why I don't use rim tape and prefer glue. The seam sealer tape on the tub is perfectly even and provides a good guide for ensuring the tub is on and balanced. IMO, tape just adds to a problem that isn't there to begin with.