portfox

Hoka Rant - Good and Bad

Sorry, having a download. Bloody fantastic shoe (clifton) but dam do they wear the sole's out quick!!

So used to run in Saucony Iso triumphs, well i guess i still do from time to time when i know the run is going to be flat, add compression socks as well as my calfs will fire up after a few go's in the Saucony's if its hilly. Its really odd, they used to be fine no matter the terrain and then after busso in 2015 the calfs just decided they would not like them.

Hoka cliftons have a 4mm drop, but they never fire up the calfs like the saucony ISO's with an 8mm drop. Is it the rocker design? I'm yet to find a good answer on this one.

So, Hoka, like I said, bloody great shoes, soft and forgiving on the legs, but you need to look at the wear issue. PLEASE!!! @$250 a throw I can't keep it up.

A little info for people who have a wide foot with the hokas.

I used to cop it on the second outer toe, pinch bleed and all that, I ended up going up one size from 9 to 9.5 and replacing the inner sole with a thinner one. That fixed the pinch and bleed issue.

end of rant...see it wasnt all bad.

• Like 1

I am just about to buy my 3rd pair of Hoka's later this week. Looking at the Clifton or the Clayton. Like you my legs cannot handle other shoes now.

Cheers

NSF

Sorry, having a download. Bloody fantastic shoe (clifton) but dam do they wear the sole's out quick!!

So used to run in Saucony Iso triumphs, well i guess i still do from time to time when i know the run is going to be flat, add compression socks as well as my calfs will fire up after a few go's in the Saucony's if its hilly. Its really odd, they used to be fine no matter the terrain and then after busso in 2015 the calfs just decided they would not like them.

Hoka cliftons have a 4mm drop, but they never fire up the calfs like the saucony ISO's with an 8mm drop. Is it the rocker design? I'm yet to find a good answer on this one.

So, Hoka, like I said, bloody great shoes, soft and forgiving on the legs, but you need to look at the wear issue. PLEASE!!! @$250 a throw I can't keep it up.

I used to cop it on the second outer toe, pinch bleed and all that, I ended up going up one size from 9 to 9.5 and replacing the inner sole with a thinner one. That fixed the pinch and bleed issue.

Calves - stiff ankles and lack of dorsiflexion. You get away with in Hoka yes because of rocker design plus the stack height of the shoes. That's my opinion. You can either work on your ankle mobility or persevere with the Hokas or even better do both and then when get ankle ROM back try the old faithful.

• Like 1

I bought my 1st pair last week. Have done 3 runs in them. Happy so far but ill defiantly be rotating their use with my old faithful ON Cloudsurfers to hopefully extend the life of them both. I paid $220 but thats still about $2000 less than my physio bill for the last 6mths

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Edited by Tossacoin

This is my biggest misgiving with the Hokas as well. I'm not hard wearing on shoes and usually retire them after 700km or so when the cushioning gives out. They usually still look fine on the outside but I can tell it's time to put them away as I start to get sore calves when my shoes need replacing.

Not so with the Hokas, the sole is always first to go while the shoe is otherwise fine. Very annoying. Maybe that is how they get to make such a big shoe so lightweight.

I bought my 1st pair last week. Have done 3 runs in them. Happy so far but ill defiantly be rotating their use with my old faithful ON Cloudsurfers to hopefully extend the life of them both. I paid $220 but thats still about $2000 less than my physio bill for the last 6mths

$2000 on physio? True or exaggeration. If you spent that much you are one of following:

- being milked by your physio as they really cant help you but say they can

- not following physios plan (rehab plan) if gave you one

- addressing the symptoms not cause. Look at the overall picture not the pain area.

- chasing a band aid

Sorry if this is over the top and i dont know your issue but generally the above happens.

An exageration and lacking some context...i didn't feel it relevant or necessary to rant. My apologies. Ill clarrify. This also includes strength and conditioning, exercise physiology etc to focus on core, glute and Hips to address previous achillies and calf concerns in a holistic fashion. Private health cover takes care of a large portion a as well. My (perhaps poorly executed) point was "expensive" shoes that lower risk of injury are cheaper in the long run. Pun intended.

If anyone wants to buy a pair of Clifton 3, size 10.5, with only 90km of running in them, I have some for $100 plus postage. Send me a PM...as much as I want to like them, my feet don't...

If anyone wants to buy a pair of Clifton 3, size 10.5, with only 90km of running in them, I have some for $100 plus postage. Send me a PM...as much as I want to like them, my feet don't...

US10.5?

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Can you post a pic of the wear you're getting? Im over 1000ks into my claytons and yes they are worn but not to the soft "core" once i get there ill stop using them

• Like 1

US10.5?

Yes. I am usually a 10 in Nike but had to go up half a size.

I'm up to 1129k's on some Stinson Lites.

Mind you they are a little worn under the sole and can be slippery in the wet but they still work and I'm a big boy!

• Like 1

You can either work on your ankle mobility or persevere with the Hokas or even better do both and then when get ankle ROM back try the old faithful.

$2000 on physio? True or exaggeration. If you spent that much you are one of following:

- being milked by your physio as they really cant help you but say they can

- not following physios plan (rehab plan) if gave you one

- addressing the symptoms not cause. Look at the overall picture not the pain area.

- chasing a band aid

This is a common problem - when I get a new athlete into the squad I evaluate their run technique - their core strength - their flexibility - and we start to work on weaknesses before we start building distance

Most problems can be avoided if this approach is taken - no much point trying to fix a broken down runner when the right approach can prevent 90% of injuries - Hokas are not the answer - a runner with good technique can run in light race flat type shoes :smile1:

Saying "hokas" is like saying holdens. General statements forget the fact there is a multitude of models with different soles, rubbers, cushioning, widths, shapes, etc.

Try not to be so general about things like fit when there is so much variation between styles

This is a common problem - when I get a new athlete into the squad I evaluate their run technique - their core strength - their flexibility - and we start to work on weaknesses before we start building distance

Most problems can be avoided if this approach is taken - no much point trying to fix a broken down runner when the right approach can prevent 90% of injuries - Hokas are not the answer - a runner with good technique can run in light race flat type shoes :smile1:

Again, i exaggerated my commet and it lacked appropriate context. I paid big money to have the issues lower down the kinetic chain dealt with, the Hokas were prob less than 5% of the return from injury plan. The money included multiple gait analysis'. The exercise phys and strength work was almost exclusively glute, core and then drills to work on cadence. Last 3 IM runs of mine have been under 3.30 and its this stuff that will hopefully (one day) give me a chance to play with the lads at the pointy end. If i thought i could run a low 3 in a pair of $1000 Dunlop Vollys id buy them but i know its the body that does the work

Saying "hokas" is like saying holdens. General statements forget the fact there is a multitude of models with different soles, rubbers, cushioning, widths, shapes, etc.

Try not to be so general about things like fit when there is so much variation between styles

Cliftons

I've been on Stinsons for a few years now, firstly the Stinson Trail, but that was only because I didn't know that there was any other style, but am on the Stinson Tarmac now.

anyway, when the outsole wears through, there's still a few hundred km or more that can be had from running on the midsole. Of course, not for the whole sole, but if one corner of the heel, or part of the forefoot wears through, then just keep on truck'n till the rest of the outsole is shot.

Have to agree with NotSoFast, after a few years on Hoka, the legs can't handle running in anything else.

• Like 1

Email me if you need a deal on Hoka. sales@ultimatecycles.com.au and tell me the size / colour and model you need and mention "transition"

• Like 4