Gilliga

70.3 Sunshine Coast 2017 any dates?

Been injured most of August with some kind of knee injury so had like a three week taper. Ended up with 5:29 which I was super stoked with considering  - and to think I did 6:20 at Tweed Coast Enduro back in Feb. Saw a dietitian this time about race planning and it worked out exceptionally well and for once didn't feel physically ill while running.

Was running a relatively strong half and five k out slipped on a effing gel packet that had been thrown on the ground and heard a few snaps in my left ankle. Thought for sure my race was over, but after a minute the pain subsided and I could run again. Though I can't walk today!! Thank god for adrenaline!

Swim conditions were great, ride was mostly good, though very congested in the hill section - practically impossible to enforce no drafting given the bike congestion and narrow roads. Run was OK - though pretty darn hot by the time I hit the run course at 10am!

Recovery area on the beach was a joke though. No shade, blistering heat...what were they thinking? Bananas were inedible due to being exposed to the sun for hours. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

though very congested in the hill section

you were just too fast :D

At my speed, congestion was minimal.

for the kind of people who need to share a photo of their medal, I thought it was a handy prop (exhibit a above) and for the rest, does the medal really matter? 

(for the record I happily share photos on instagram)

Re the congestion around the hill loop, I saw a guy get carded by the TO on an uphill section. I assume it was more than just that occurrence, but seemed a bit harsh given the conditions there.

The hills were a bit tight and would have been hard to enforce.  Like Tyno, when I hit the hills, I had plenty of room!

The motorway on the other hand had plenty of space.  I saw packs of 5-10 go past me at regular intervals and no motorbike in site.  Event when they did go past nothing!  

Swim was great, run damn hot!  Finished down the back but for my first half, I got it done and have a medal and towel so I was happy!

• Like 1

The blocking was out of control. I started in one of the last waves and spent pretty much the entire bike dodging people who refused to stay left. 

Apart from that, a good day and a new PB. 16mins quicker than 2015, even with the slightly harder bike leg.

12 minutes ago, BenjieB said:

The blocking was out of control. I started in one of the last waves and spent pretty much the entire bike dodging people who refused to stay left. 

Apart from that, a good day and a new PB. 16mins quicker than 2015, even with the slightly harder bike leg.

yeap, agree. Lots of blocking going on. Some people riding side by side having a chat. WTF?

One on a full IM set up, the other guy less so.

The fitter guy was giving the other bloke drinks. They were side by side for a bit, then slowed down in front of me.

I went around them but a couple of minutes later they came back past me.

The fit guy was pushing the other bloke along, hand in his back.

They stayed like that for a couple of minutes, even through the last aid station.

The fit guy pushing should have been pinged for drafting! That would have been hilarious :)

2 hours ago, Tyno said:

The fitter guy was giving the other bloke drinks. They were side by side for a bit, then slowed down in front of me.

They stayed like that for a couple of minutes, even through the last aid station.

I might have passed these guys on the MWY. One guy passed another rider up the left side, then caught up to his mate and handed over water bottles. As I passed the other rider who had been passed we just looked at each other thinking "WTF was that guy doing?"

Saw a few chattIng side by side through the hills too.

4 hours ago, Tyno said:

I saw this to, a bloke handing over a bottle to another rider..... I also saw a lady on a flat bar bike holding a bottle in each hand whilst riding........

loved the bike course though, nice and easy motorway bit followed by some work out the back, great course

8 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

yeap, agree. Lots of blocking going on. Some people riding side by side having a chat. WTF?

You know the sport isnt a real sport anymore?

drafting is okay. Fat overweight people doing events. Focus on merchandise. Online coverage piss poor. 

I have no issues with mates riding side by side blocking people have a chat. 😉

A tip. Never do a gatorade. Drafting is encouraged. 

There is even a tri training group  in melbourne that encourages course cutting and drafting. 

On 9/11/2017 at 4:01 PM, dazmuzza said:

Was running a relatively strong half and five k out slipped on a effing gel packet that had been thrown on the ground and heard a few snaps in my left ankle.

I thought this sounded familiar when I read it via twitter :D

• Like 1

hah, you twitter stalker!!

Unless multiple people were slipping on gel packets.

<insert x files theme music>

Edited by dazmuzza
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tyno said:

I thought this sounded familiar when I read it via twitter :D

Your gel packet...? :whistling:

10 minutes ago, pieman said:

Your gel packet...? :whistling:

I have the perfect alibi of never setting foot on the run course on the day.

I copped the 2 week flu/chest cold thingy 3 weeks out.

I had under-trained anyway, mainly due to being a bit wrong headed about things.

I was contemplating not even fronting up, all the way until Friday, but eventually talked myself into just taking things as they come.

45 min swim. 1 of 2 in my wave without a wetty.

7:30 T1. Yeah, you read that right.

3:45 on the bike. Struggle city after 50 kms and anything that pointed up in any way.

DNF'd in T2 after a couple of minutes contemplating heading out on what would have been a 21.1 km walk.

What's next? I dunno.

I did make it to a non-tri related training session tonight though.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:13 PM, Gilliga said:

Is 70.3 Sunshine Coast happening in 2017?

Yep...was on last weekend :)

• Haha 2

On 10/09/2017 at 12:32 PM, Cat Lady said:

Was that cranky' she team taking 2nd ? Grin sexy girls ? Grimsey 's girls - autocorrect can be worth leaving in at times 😂

Lol. Yeah Grimsey Girls. We all swim together.  Trent Grimsey is our swim coach. 

Were just or there for a bit of fun so that was a nice surprise!  I guess if you can't tri, you team, so our competition weren't real stong triathletes. 

On 10/09/2017 at 12:36 PM, Tyno said:

Cranky steamed past me just before the motorway turn around. I gave her a yell just after she turned.

I hope she's not waiting for me on the run:)

I was actually. :P

Thanks for the shout out. I missed you on the way past but thought it was you at the turn, after I heard you. 

I then got a threatened with a penalty from Go Easy, as I had passed him and not said hi! 

I guess these two instances are pros for getting a Trannie suit. 

On 10/09/2017 at 1:27 PM, goughy said:

I hope she's still standing there at 8pm......

:P

On 10/09/2017 at 7:59 PM, Ronny said:

Cranky flew past me as we headed out towards the 2 lap climb!

water was cool but not as cold as what I thought it would be. No wetty for me as I'm a fat bastard!

run was hot as f*^k in the middle of the day! I'm no super athlete and paid with s linchtime run!

Again!  Trannie suit!!

On 10/09/2017 at 9:51 PM, bRace said:

Agreed re bike racking/space available. Also, did anyone else think having recovery area down on the soft sand was kind of ridiculous? Hot, no shade, hard for my tired legs and blistered feet to get ther, etc.

Good course though. Hilly loops were tougher than the old 2xMWY laps I'd done before.

I loved the bike course. Flat and fast but then just as you're getting bored, up into the hills. 

On 11/09/2017 at 4:27 PM, Tyno said:

What do people who finished think of their medal?

Bit dodgie