Merv

Dreamworld

roxii    4,003

tragic. They drowned?

I get the feeling it was a little more gruesome than that.

goughy    2,000

Wow. One of the tamer rides there really, about the only one my wife would be able to manage. Been on it many times myself. I guess I could see how one of those things could tip, more so if one side of the ride was stacked.

Sad stuff.

Turts    1,938

I get the feeling it was a little more gruesome than that.

I read one bit where they spokesman said they had critical injuries not conducive to life. Maybe sucked into a mechanism somewhere.

Bloody sad

roxii    4,003

One photo looks like the carriage tipped backwards which would have unloaded the occupants onto a pretty big open conveyor. I think they said two were thrown out two were trapped inside the carriage.

goughy    2,000

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/queensland-police-share-details-of-how-the-thunder-river-rapids-ride-killed-four-people/news-story/bf66e6889091447199ec141ce7aa45af

I wonder how many rides around the world could have something like this happen should the wrong circumstances happen??

The two kids survived, saw their mothers & uncles killed in a horrible way.

Went through a similar experience in NZ when a mini-van went into a river. Was trying to comfort the two young girls whose father we could not get out from under the water/van despite our best efforts. Got the rest of them out including their mother thank Christ.

• Like 1

Mjainoz    1,034

The two kids survived, saw their mothers & uncles killed in a horrible way.

Went through a similar experience in NZ when a mini-van went into a river. Was trying to comfort the two young girls whose father we could not get out from under the water/van despite our best efforts. Got the rest of them out including their mother thank Christ.

wow. Heavy burden.

roxii    4,003

The photo of the tube thing they were in getting carted away was pretty telling.

If the conveyor was able to chew away large chunks of the fibreglass seat one can only imagine what happened to the poor occupants strapped into those seats

• Like 1

goughy    2,000

Yes, it looked pretty gruesome!

AA7    990

Friend of a friend was one of the first paramedics there. Very gruesome.

I'm wondering if the two kids undid their seat-belts early as the ride was about to finish - which saved their lives as they were thrown clear of the conveyor mechanism. The adults possibly had theirs still on and nowhere to go.

-H-    605

Or maybe their smaller size allowed them to slide out of the harness? They're lucky to be alive but what a traumatic thing for them to have to endure. My heart goes out to them and their families, as well as the witnesses and first responders.

Or maybe their smaller size allowed them to slide out of the harness? They're lucky to be alive but what a traumatic thing for them to have to endure. My heart goes out to them and their families, as well as the witnesses and first responders.

Yes, maybe. Truly awful thing for a child to see their parent die like that.

At least the bloke we were dealing with just looked like he was asleep - albeit trapped from the chest down out the drivers window and under 3 feet of crystal clear NZ trout stream. I often wonder if I should have raced back to our hire car and tried to jack the van up a little to drag him out, but by then he'd already been under 5mins or more, so probably too late. Also, we'd have needed to have dug under the van a bit to get the jack in, and slide something solid in the hole else the jack would just sink into the gravel.

I went under the water to see if I could pull him out while others tried to rock the van off him a little, but a 3 tonne van half filled with water just does not move. Some big farmers and RFS guys got there a few mins after we first tried and with 4 blokes and 2 small Asian women pushing, they would not rock more than 5mm. In the end it required a crane to extract him.

I thought the driver was a hire bus driver, until we got everyone else out and up a steep bank to the road. Was sitting with the two young girls who told me it was their dad - that was a really shit moment. The rest of the family were either hysterical or too injured and in shock to make much sense.

9 people inside altogether. Asian tourists from HK/Canada. Driver going stupid fast on a very loose gravel road. NFI. We'll be over there again next month, and I'll be driving very cautiously as I've seen the worst driving skills ever over there from tourists.

Merv    120

The remorse shown by the CEO of Ardent Group Leisure seems genuine enough, however events this year and prior to the tragedy should concern them

Rocket Salad    1,059

The stories are now coming out from former staff. I think it's just the start. A company like that works by hiring the cheapest staff they can. Same as most hotel chains and cruise ships.

goughy    2,000

We had passes to Dreamworld and White Water World with a holiday we had at the coast during the holidays.  Very very quiet.  Pretty much had no wait for any rides, cept once my daughter had 20mins wait at the Tower of Terror, but it had just come off a maintenance check so a bit of a cue had formed.  One ride, the Buzzsaw, we thought wasn't going at all, but it was just no one riding it.  When my daughter went to hop on it, only two people were riding it the go before, and only 4 were on it on her turn.  WWW was just as quiet.

I remember our last theme park holiday which was at SW, MW and W&W, and at times we were waiting over an hour to get on a ride. 

James    165

Yep, awesome time to have season passes and only live an hour away.

Cranky    891

I'll have to admit that I'm scared. I used to love rides but won't be going on any more for quite a while I think!

Anyway, is much rather spend my money on a race entry. A lot more fun, safer and healthier for me! 

dazaau    47

I suspect you'll find alot more people die racing than in theme park rides.