Ironnerd

Stryd Running Meter

Stryd have posted an interesting article on the running power output of Lionel Sanders and Matt Russell at Kona this year.

http://blog.stryd.com/2016/10/22/stryd-at-kona-case-study-of-two-pros/

There is a ST discussion of it, including Andrew Coggan, who is a well known cycling power meter guru. Note that Coggan works or consults for Stryd.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Stryd_at_Kona_P6117051

Interesting information, though I am not sure how you would use it in training.

figure_3_new.png

I know i give you a hard time on one other topic but go for it.

Man up and say what you want.

When you start running your life by what others might think, its a farking sad day. Be you.

• Like 2

I have had one since last year, including the new footpod. An impressive piece of technology, and they have done a lot of work on connectivity and analysis in recent times.

That said, I never / rarely look at it while training and only a cursory look at the data once it is uploaded. It only confirms what I know about the run anyway.

I use it because I am interested in what it might tell me over time. Having also been an early adopter of bike power meters (10 years ago), I am keen to see if it might have a similar, positive effect. Time will tell.

Sceptics (FB?) can and will poo poo it. Try being open minded instead. Use it as a tool, and don't be a tool using it.

• Like 1

I know i give you a hard time on one other topic but go for it.

Man up and say what you want.

When you start running your life by what others might think, its a farking sad day. Be you.

Spoken like a true hipster

I have had one since last year, including the new footpod. An impressive piece of technology, and they have done a lot of work on connectivity and analysis in recent times.

That said, I never / rarely look at it while training and only a cursory look at the data once it is uploaded. It only confirms what I know about the run anyway.

I use it because I am interested in what it might tell me over time. Having also been an early adopter of bike power meters (10 years ago), I am keen to see if it might have a similar, positive effect. Time will tell.

Sceptics (FB?) can and will poo poo it. Try being open minded instead. Use it as a tool, and don't be a tool using it.

I think this would be the only reason I would get one so that I could only look at the data afterwards. Usually when I run at race pace I could tell.my pace with 2-3 seconds per/km. So I would never glance down at a watch in the first place.

How did you find it??? Did it help you pace and run better???

How did you find it??? Did it help you pace and run better???

I've got the original HR strap device not the footpod.

It showed me:

- my power drops down hill and spikes up hill, so for even power-pacing run easier uphill and harder downhill - not surprising.

- my running efficiency is terrible - again not surprising but still useful to know for sure

I stopped using it second time the battery died, it just wasn't helping much and the detailed metrics they promised are not available.

The new footpad is quite a step (pardon pun!) on the original chest based one, and the improvements in the connectivity via IQ app data field is significant. It also captures a lot more data, and the footpod is tiny.

As I mentioned it hasn't really changed anything I do about my running.

• Like 1

As I mentioned it hasn't really changed anything I do about my running.

I'm very naive to a running power meter, I assumed it to work almost the same as a cycling one. But if the data isn't helping with our running, why do we need it???

ÃÂ

I'm very naive to a running power meter, I assumed it to work almost the same as a cycling one. But if the data isn't helping with our running, why do we need it???ÃÂ

Even the run power gurus, eg, Jim Vance (listen to any podcast interview with him on the topic) says he doesn't know just how to use it...yet. Remember that the product space is in its infancy, but that doesn't mean to dismiss it, just approach it with open eyes, ears and mind.

In some ways Stryd is a (good/great) solution looking for a practical application. But I, for one, am taking a punt on it to see where it leads.

Edited by CEM
  • Like 2

I've been using the Garmin foot pod, for me I am using it as a review mechanism rather than something I look at while I am running.

I've been trying to marry up the feel to what I should be seeing as cadence, especially for flat runs or track sessions.

I've been using the Garmin foot pod, for me I am using it as a review mechanism rather than something I look at while I am running.

Â

I've been trying to marry up the feel to what I should be seeing as cadence, especially for flat runs or track sessions.

Stryd is completely different to the Garmin footpod.

Stryd is completely different to the Garmin footpod.

What does stryd tell you over the garmin product?

Edited by RunBrettRun

For more info in running power meters try listening to IMtalk eposode 533. They talk to Jim Vance about his book "Run with Power". It also explains what a running power meter measures and potential benifits/information.

• Like 1

What's the difference between a speed and cadence sensor and power meter on your bike?

It measures leg spring stiffness and gives a whole lot of other metrics as well... including watts

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Seriously I'm all for tech and innovation but this thing sounds a lot like that cheap bike power meter that was once in the market and used to measure power through the wind going into and through it. Crock of shit.

Edited by Rog

Seems a perfect device for those who love analysis paralysis.

I wouldn't dismiss the wearable metrics measurement segment so quickly - there is a lot happening and I think in time the practical use of the information will increase. But I agree that currently it is somewhat immature and hard to see the value in it.

If it doesn't interest you then move on and let those who are spend their time with it. No need to diss it just because you think it is a crock of whatever.

PS - look how many people wear activity trackers...same same...

Edited by CEM

Or alternatively...

If it does interest you then move on and let those who aren't not waste their time with it. No need to get all defensive just because you think it is a great product.

I wouldn't dismiss the wearable metrics measurement segment so quickly - there is a lot happening and I think in time the practical use of the information will increase. But I agree that currently it is somewhat immature and hard to see the value in it.

If it doesn't interest you then move on and let those who are spend their time with it. No need to diss it just because you think it is a crock of whatever.

Ill never dismiss anything without actually looking into it or at least asking questions as to why. I admitted I was a cynic so it was the perfect chance to try and sell it to me well but he did anything but do that.

Or alternatively...

If it does interest you then move on and let those who aren't not waste their time with it. No need to get all defensive just because you think it is a great product.

No, I don't think it is a great product - it hasn't changed or improved my running at all (yet). It is a new and innovative product that I am interested in, so I clicked on this thread to read about it, and contributed as such.

Topics that don't interest me or I think are a crock I just pass on by...

• Like 2

Ill never dismiss anything without actually looking into it or at least asking questions as to why. I admitted I was a cynic so it was the perfect chance to try and sell it to me well but he did anything but do that.

I wouldn't suggest to any of the runners I coach to buy one, so it is only going to appeal to a small market anyway. My interest is just that I am interested in it, to see what it is like.

Anyway, enuf said...I will go back under my rock.

I wouldn't suggest to any of the runners I coach to buy one, so it is only going to appeal to a small market anyway. My interest is just that I am interested in it, to see what it is like.

Anyway, enuf said...I will go back under my rock.

Sorry I wasnt talking about your response but the response of the person on slowtwitch with ties to Stryd.

No, I don't think it is a great product - it hasn't changed or improved my running at all

To be fair though Campbell, you are using it from a level most of us would only ever aspire to. Do you see any possible benefit for the BOPers without a coach?

Â

To be fair though Campbell, you are using it from a level most of us would only ever aspire to. Â Do you see any possible benefit for the BOPers without a coach?

No. Just run more and don't get injured. Repeat.
  • Like 2

Wish you'd told me sooner!

Ive thrown money at it out of curiosity to play around with while im off program. Clearly it is not a magic bullet and will not be a free pass to improvements or increased levels of fitness. 'Aint nothin' to do with analysis paralysis though, just choosing to drop disposable income on it rather than beer.

I agree, a rapidly moving market is the wearable business.

I've just bought a pair of Runscribe footpods and starting running with them. Connects post-run with your smartphone via blue tooth and accelerometers in the footpad measure shock (vertical and braking), contact and flight time, foot contact pattern, pronation (amount and velocity) as well as cadence, speed and stride length. If they prove to be reliable and accurate then they are potentially a game changer in run biomechanics analysis for Physio, Ex Scientists and run coaches. It appears they may be a very useful diagnostic tool for me to use on injured runners and for the price of a pair of Kayanos it's a risk I'm happy to take.

• Like 3

Steve Magness (Science of Running author) is a fan of Runscribe, and I think there is a new version just released. It does look very interesting and great data capture...but almost borders on data overload!!

I just recieved the new version footpods, the app and desktop dashboard are very user friendly and display things graphically in a way I found very easy to interpret. The data is beyond what most people need to monitor training (get that from an activity tracker, garmin etc), but the sort of data you get about impact forces and foot motion requires a force plate, biomechanics lab and expensive motion capture system. The fact I can get it from a normal running route is a massive bonus.

One interesting use is tracking the onset of fatigue by looking at graph of contact time, cadence and flight time and seeing where in a long run form degrades.

• Like 3

From my 2 minute review of the Runscribe website, I cant help but think that the way the thing sits on the shoes wont give you the accuracy of foot movement which the metrics show.

It has a 9-axis accelerometer so a bit more sensitive than an iPhone.

Today, RunScribe is being used in clinics and by academic researchers as a trusted and accurate measurement tool. We built RunScribe using the same sensor technology used in Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs), which are found in everything from unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) to satellites to the Mars lander. These units work by combining the results from an array of sensors (accelerometers, gyroscopes, and magnetometers) to precisely determine rotational attributes like pitch, roll, and yaw using a technique called Sensor Fusion. Throughout the development of RunScribe, we have worked with university partners to test and validate RunScribe data against gait analysis systems in their labs. These results feed into our proprietary footsteps model to compute RunScribe metrics.

We believe consistency and accuracy are paramount for professional use. While we are always improving the accuracy of our footsteps model, we will continue to publish our validation studies and any 3rd party research results on our Running Unraveled site.

• Like 1

I have no doubt about the accuracy of the accelerometer i was thinking more about how its secured to the feet and shoes, My foot moves around in my shoes and that would be hugely problematic to gauge the angles and forces of the foot and ankle.

Just an observation after the brim brothers had so many issues with their cleat mounted power meters,

• Like 1

Anyone using one with a Garmin 620? Trying to figure out if its my sub par IT skills or the fact that Garmin IQ may not be compatible with the 620...

Yep 620 was prior to connect iq.

Yep 620 was prior to connect iq.

So your power reading appears in the cadance field on the watch and you just pair via searching for footpod?

I wouldn't have the faintest idea! But I know there are apps in the Garmin connect iq store made by Stryd, so I assumed you may need a newer device to read the metrics of the Stryd footpod. I could be wrong of course. Does Stryd list what devices it works with? Does it work with a phone app?

I have no doubt about the accuracy of the accelerometer i was thinking more about how its secured to the feet and shoes, My foot moves around in my shoes and that would be hugely problematic to gauge the angles and forces of the foot and ankle.

Just an observation after the brim brothers had so many issues with their cleat mounted power meters,

Two methods: one is via your laces. Plastic bracket sits between 2 of the crossovers of your laces and the tongue of your shoe, the accelerometer clips into this so laces are between it and the bracket. Once it clicks in it's not moving anywhere

The other (I haven't tested) a metal clip pushes down over the heel counter of you shoe and plastic bracket attaches to this.

Would also be interesting to see impact forces when you get tired as well. Pretty sure this is were most people would do damage to themselves. Especially in triathlon... Contact time, cadence etc is probably where we could benefit most from running metrics.

100% right, it graphs all the metrics during a run so you can see at what time your form goes out the window.

The limited use I have put it to has been interesting. My contact point is completely different between feet, mid foot on left, forefoot on right with increased braking force on the right foot and increased pronation amount and speed on this foot.

• Like 1