TrinewB

Kickr vs kickr snap? Or Tacx Neo

So I got the green light to get s new turbo

I want something nice to boost my mojo may be start using zwift as my motivation is at an all time low and so is my fitness

Is a kickr or worth the extra dollars over a snap?

Is the Tacx Neo the best?

Read DC rainmakers last post and it seems to indicate that Neo is the best but only seems to be cause it's quiet ..... that's not an issue for me.

What would be grateful for your advice!

DC Rainmaker's pick is the Tacx Flux - $899 (USD?), I heard him speaking on the TRS/DC Rainmaker podcast. The only issue is availability. It sounds like the best deal if you're prepared to wait a bit.

Edited by TimG

I have the Tacx Vortex Smart Trainer and it is great. Very quiet and works very well with Zwift.

Me too, no issues with noise, still hear my music over it and absolutely no issues with Zwift, which I love!

Zwift needs a good computer more than a good trainer.

It's extremely jumpy with my PC but with laptop its good.

I actually prefer trainerroad for better sessions

I have the Kickr and rate it well.

How does all this stuff work?  Been thinking of getting the Mrs a Kickr or similar for her birthday.

I assume they all come with power?  What other data do you get off them - speed/cadence/AVS?

Do you need to buy a computer to go on the bike to read the power?

Or do you have to buy some  additional software to put on a laptop to see the power?

Or does it come with software you can load onto a laptop?

What if you want to use TrainerRoad or Zwift or whatever those things are?  Do you need to pay for those in addition?

41 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

How does all this stuff work?  Been thinking of getting the Mrs a Kickr or similar for her birthday.

I assume they all come with power?  What other data do you get off them - speed/cadence/AVS?

Do you need to buy a computer to go on the bike to read the power? 

Or do you have to buy some  additional software to put on a laptop to see the power?

Or does it come with software you can load onto a laptop?

What if you want to use TrainerRoad or Zwift or whatever those things are?  Do you need to pay for those in addition?

simplest way is just using an app on your phone. There is a wahoo specific one that will act as the dashboard and let you change power to do workouts etc..

or you can TR to drive workouts (99USD a year) or Zwift (15USD a month) if you want to watch the video game stuff, or Rouvy if you want to watch real life videos etc. 

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/the-best-indoor-cycling-training-apps/

so many options out there. @Cranky would have some TR trial codes if you want some of those to try it out. 

19 minutes ago, pieman said:

simplest way is just using an app on your phone. There is a wahoo specific one that will act as the dashboard and let you change power to do workouts etc..

or you can TR to drive workouts (99USD a year) or Zwift (15USD a month) if you want to watch the video game stuff, or Rouvy if you want to watch real life videos etc. 

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/the-best-indoor-cycling-training-apps/

so many options out there. @Cranky would have some TR trial codes if you want some of those to try it out. 

Thanks mate, that is a good link for a numpty like me.

Just now, ComfortablyNumb said:

Thanks mate, that is a good link for a numpty like me.

Might be a bit outdated but covers the basics

2 minutes ago, pieman said:

Might be a bit outdated but covers the basics

So the Kickr just talks to your android phone (we don't have iphones) or your laptop through bluetooth then?

And then you can pay for interactive software (would probably go for Zwift) to make rides more interesting.  I think the Mrs would love doing rides/races with a virtual group.

Wasn't Willie offering a special on Kickrs a while back?

You don't really need.the expensive Kickr anymore either. The Kickr Core does just as good a job. The Kickr snap is ok but wheel on is a bit louder than wheel off. 

Yes everything to show said data is paid for. There's no need for a smart trainer unless you're using the software to go with it. Ant+ USB dongle into a laptop is the only tech you need. If you have apple TV or.something already that's more then enough as.well. 

And yep I can help out. Shoot me a PM ;)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, willie said:

You don't really need.the expensive Kickr anymore either. The Kickr Core does just as good a job. The Kickr snap is ok but wheel on is a bit louder than wheel off. 

Yes everything to show said data is paid for. There's no need for a smart trainer unless you're using the software to go with it. Ant+ USB dongle into a laptop is the only tech you need. If you have apple TV or.something already that's more then enough as.well. 

And yep I can help out. Shoot me a PM ;)

Thanks Willie.  I'll confer with the Mrs.

When you say " There's no need for a smart trainer unless you're using the software to go with it", what does that mean?  Isn't the Kickr Snap a 'smart trainer'?

It look like the Snap does not do cadence, but her bike computer can do that.

Just now, ComfortablyNumb said:

Thanks Willie.  I'll confer with the Mrs.

When you say " There's no need for a smart trainer unless you're using the software to go with it", what does that mean?  Isn't the Kickr Snap a 'smart trainer'?

It look like the Snap does not do cadence, but her bike computer can do that.

he means no point having it without some sort of software to drive it.... 

13 minutes ago, pieman said:

he means no point having it without some sort of software to drive it.... 

So the least you would do is download the Kickr app (which comes with it) so you can see your power, speed, time etc?

And if you want to get fancy you subscribe to Zwift or TrainerRoad or similar?

Sorry, dumb questions, but I'm not really into all this stuff.  I have to get my wife to set up all technology!

1 minute ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

So the least you would do is download the Kickr app (which comes with it) so you can see your power, speed, time etc?

And if you want to get fancy you subscribe to Zwift or TrainerRoad or similar?

Sorry, dumb questions, but I'm not really into all this stuff.  I have to get my wife to set up all technology!

Yep exactly. otherwise you have no interface to get the resistance to change, monitor it etc..

• Thanks 1

Make sure you have good strong wifi where you want to run it if using swift.

If you are not using a program (like Zwift/Trainer Road) to control your smart trainer, then save money and by a cheap standard trainer, and get a dropper post for your MTB.

My set-up is my laptop using the ANT+ doggle from my garmin 910, extension cable as the ANT+ dongle needs to be close to the kickr, garmin cadence sensor on bike. (i also have a second screen to watch you-tube). I only use Zwift in ride along mode, and not to do structured work-outs. A big fan.

Slowtitich articles has some good set-up info, that are relatively easy to understand.

33 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

Make sure you have good strong wifi where you want to run it if using swift.

If you are not using a program (like Zwift/Trainer Road) to control your smart trainer, then save money and by a cheap standard trainer, and get a dropper post for your MTB.

My set-up is my laptop using the ANT+ doggle from my garmin 910, extension cable as the ANT+ dongle needs to be close to the kickr, garmin cadence sensor on bike. (i also have a second screen to watch you-tube). I only use Zwift in ride along mode, and not to do structured work-outs. A big fan.

Slowtitich articles has some good set-up info, that are relatively easy to understand.

We already have two standard trainers (magturbo and the Aldi one), but it would be good to have power (I did buy a 2nd hand JetBlack trainer with power off someone on here years ago, but it was rubbish, just too hard to pedal something wrong with it?).

Would also be good to link it to Zwift or something as my wife does most of her riding on the trainer, so would keep her more motivated.  She does have a few Sufferfests, but needs something new.

Not sure I'd ever put the MTB on it, riding that puppy outdoors is way too much fun!

37 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

We already have two standard trainers (magturbo and the Aldi one), but it would be good to have power (I did buy a 2nd hand JetBlack trainer with power off someone on here years ago, but it was rubbish, just too hard to pedal something wrong with it?).

Would also be good to link it to Zwift or something as my wife does most of her riding on the trainer, so would keep her more motivated.  She does have a few Sufferfests, but needs something new.

Not sure I'd ever put the MTB on it, riding that puppy outdoors is way too much fun!

If you just want power buy a power meter, then she can use it on the road racing.

I like the fact that with Zwift, it changes the resistance to the terrain, that is about the only reason i have for having the expensive set-up.

It makes riding on the trainer just that bit more like riding outdoors, rather than the trainer only being used to do specific sets.

Zwift has a free trial period if you want to see what the video is like, but without changing the resistance kind of no different to watching a you-tube video

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

If you just want power buy a power meter, then she can use it on the road racing.

I like the fact that with Zwift, it changes the resistance to the terrain, that is about the only reason i have for having the expensive set-up.

It makes riding on the trainer just that bit more like riding outdoors, rather than the trainer only being used to do specific sets.

Zwift has a free trial period if you want to see what the video is like, but without changing the resistance kind of no different to watching a you-tube video

Changing the resistance with the terrain would be great.

Also, is there any way you can upload local rides (maybe from Strava?) and have Zwift simulate those?  Would be great to simulate the local tri courses indoors.

Oh & now she's saying the KickR might be an early combined Xmas pressy, so that has forked the first good idea I've had in decades for a birthday present :wallbash:

50 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Changing the resistance with the terrain would be great.

Also, is there any way you can upload local rides (maybe from Strava?) and have Zwift simulate those?  Would be great to simulate the local tri courses indoors.

Oh & now she's saying the KickR might be an early combined Xmas pressy, so that has forked the first good idea I've had in decades for a birthday present :wallbash:

Not Zwift, but there is the other app....(what's it called?) I rode the Kona 70.3 bike course once using it once. Was a bit awesome. Used google street view to provide the 'video'.

Aha, it's called Rouvy. It used to be called cycleops but has had a name change. I had wondered why I was getting Rouvy emails when I had never signed up to it.

Cancel that, still wrong.It might be the replacement, but it doesn't use the street view stuff the way whatever it was I used did. You could basically upload a GPX file and ride it again with the street view image on your screen and controlling the smart trainer.

Edited by Katz

"Fulgaz" is a great app to use on a Smart Trainer.

People record Go Pro footage ( 4k mostly) and supply the Garmin files ( .tcx, .gpx , .fit files) of a ride they complete. App changes the power requirements as you ride uphill. Camera mounted on the handlebars makes for a very realistic view.

Displays the gradient and your "speed".

You ride against the person that created the ride, and the latest update has now introduced a Virtual Partner called "Bernard". You can customise bernard to, say, have a base flat road power average of 200 watts.

There are a great selection of rides from 45mins on Beach rd Melbourne or Akuna Bay, to rides in the French Alps, Canada, Italy, or the full 5hr IM Kona ride.

Highly recommended. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

"Fulgaz" is a great app to use on a Smart Trainer.

People record Go Pro footage ( 4k mostly) and supply the Garmin files ( .tcx, .gpx , .fit files) of a ride they complete. App changes the power requirements as you ride uphill. Camera mounted on the handlebars makes for a very realistic view.

Displays the gradient and your "speed".

You ride against the person that created the ride, and the latest update has now introduced a Virtual Partner called "Bernard". You can customise bernard to, say, have a base flat road power average of 200 watts.

There are a great selection of rides from 45mins on Beach rd Melbourne or Akuna Bay, to rides in the French Alps, Canada, Italy, or the full 5hr IM Kona ride.

Highly recommended. 

I have a GoPro, but not a Garmin.  However my wife has a Garmin VivoActive watch with GPS.  So maybe we could ride a local course and upload to Fulgaz from her watch & my GoPro?

@ComfortablyNumb, You'd need to contact the guy that runs the app ( Mike Clucas ) to find out what is required.

Sure it's kinda cool to have a ride on the app that is close to home and that you ride regularly ( Two Bays climb is pretty much at the end of my street, so comparing the virtual experience with the real thing was fun), but the beauty of the app is being able to ride in locations you will never to able to get to without spending $1000's.

Rode in the Italian Alps last week on a beautiful sunny day with snow capped mountains all around.

Bought the Kickr and a Fulgaz subscription ( if you get a 12 month sub. you can have a "Family" membership which allows your partner to have their own account. They can customise the app to their weight, FTP, bike weight,etc), that way my wife can also maintain motivation over winter when the weather is crap. She has no interest in TrainerRoad or Zwift, but loves Fulgaz.

alpe.JPG

• Like 1

On 11/06/2019 at 9:48 AM, pieman said:

Yes. You need one? Facebook message me your email and I'll send you one.