Sign in to follow this  
Diamonds

O/T - Jayco (might suit young tri family)

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/figtree/camper-trailers/jayco-swift-camper-trailer-2011/1127080366

Hi all,

Link to my excellent condition Jayco wind up camper. May suit young family. Biggest plus is you can tow with anything so don't need to upgrade car. 83kg ball weight. 903kg tare.

The trouble and strife will only camp in an ensuite site so I have given up.

Trannie discount can be discussed but fairly priced compared to some older stuff about.

Worth a try here.

Edited by Diamonds

Best not show my wife this one.

Although out of the two of us I'm the princess who doesn't like camping :lol:

I may keep it yet and you are welcome to borrow it if you like.

Its a tad bit of overkill for just the young bloke and I though for trips to Canberra so I will see how it goes up for sale.

You see where you see it as overkill, I'm thinking it's roughing it. :lol:

• Like 1

This is a good price for one of these things. Looks to be in pretty good nick and would suit a family. Optional Solar would provide plenty of options to free camp, so set up anywhere!!

No affiliation with seller, just know a little bit about these things and this one looks like a bargain.

Good luck with the sale Diamonds and happy camping to the successful buyer (Go on Roxii, you know you want to - you've got a spanking new shed just waiting to be filled!!)

Cheers

Ayto

Haha. Thanks for the plug Ayto. Got some people looking next week. I suspect I may have underpriced it after looking at the three similar age on caravan and camping sales site, but so be it. Freeing up bike buying cash and happy wife/happy life is how I'm viewing it.

• Like 1

Diamonds, did you get the battery pack new with it or after market? We're currently looking at doing the same in our Goldwing at the moment so any tips or what you found was good or should be avoided would be useful, I'm leaning towards a solar "blanket" at present compared to the panels for ease of mobility is about as far as I've gotten on the subject

And agree with Ayto, for the extras you have on it the price is in the market to move quickly (particularly with Summer coming).

Sorry to hijack the thread Diamonds, however re your question Cottoneyes:

We currently have a (very) old Sunwagon that we inherited from the FIL when he upgraded to a full van. This Sunwagon has cost us nothing and is set up for full free camping with hard mounted solar and twin 100 AH batteries. Teamed up with twin water tanks this thing can stay off grid for up to 5 days or so no problems.

The solar is mounted to the roof so wherever we get set up you can generally get good exposure for the panel. Have a few mates that have portable blankets and / or panels and the feedback I generally hear from them is that it's a pain in the ar5e "chasing the sun". ie, moving the panels to ensure they get full exposure etc.

Having said all of that, we have made a decision to upgrade and we are currently in the research phase, albeit for a camper trailer as opposed to a pop top type van. Most camper trailers that we are looking at either have the portable panels included in the package or are available as upgrades. Dependant upon what we go for, I will take what is included in the package or upgrade as required and will make a decision after using a few times as to whether I hard mount or not. Looking at forward fold so won't be an option on the trailer itself, however will get the boat rack (for bikes / swags etc) and will have the option to mount on this. Only issue, of course, is dependant upon how you get set up, panel could very well be in the shade (ie South facing or something), so portable could very well be the way to go.

One other issue with portable options is that they are very easy to be "lifted" and have heard a few stories around this. Point is, it's another thing to ensure you are on top of and make sure you lock them away over night or when away from camp.

Solar is awesome to have available. Gives you so many more options to set up and free camp, rather than having to worry about caravan parks and the like - just make sure you have a port-a-loo for the better half if you are free camping. A shovel might be alright for us blokes, but the ladies like to have a bit of comfort!!!

Sorry for the hijack and long-winded response, but hope that helps mate

Cheers

Ayto

C, the battery was already fitted. At only 50Ah I would have gone larger. That said, the 12v TV, radio and lights last long enough til the next charging day from my usage. (* If I am/was to do extended free camping I would convert all light fittings to LED - I haven't got around to it though as the "ensuite site" issue meant it wasn't a huge issue).

There is a good learners guide to solar on Aussie Solar's site. You sign up for their emails and you get access. I bought my panels there online. The other good place for info is the camper version of trannies, which is called "myswag". Heaps of gurus there.

My limited knowledge is that there are pluses and minuses to all options, but a few key points (I am no guru though);

* fixed panels best for security, but almost all solar needs to be at 90 degrees to sun for maximum uptake so you lose efficiency. You dont have to stress over thieving pricks though.

* portable folding - allow you to follow the sun but need chaining up or supervision.

* blankets - lightest and easiest to store, but not as efficient

* the portable ones have two types of regulator thingos TP?? and another name. One is better. It is like the chinese bike frame or race wheels debate. You should research.

* Never run fridge off battery. Gas is best.

Best I can do on phone off top of my head. There is buckets of info out there. The myswag forum has big threads pinned on techo stuff including solar. I would research there.

Edited by Diamonds

We have a 23ft Jayco Silverline with annex. Anything else is roughing it. They are quite an "investment" at over $100k including the vehicle :-(

Ayto, no prob. Keeps bumping it anyway lol.

Good points, I tend to find it is being van bound while watching your panels (for security) pi55e5 me off more so than moving then incrementally to follow sun.

If your panels produce enough to top up your batteries daily then roof mounted would be less hassle. The problem is if it is cloudy in the middle of the day, you will get bugger all early and late due to the angle, and SFA through the optimal 90 degree sweetspot.

Good luck ð

Edited by Diamonds

Thanks guys, good places to start from.

We don't do free camping (yet), however our annual holiday at Inverloch is on non-powered as the powered sites are all tied up by the annual users, we basically are on a waiting list to get one but could be years off. The other time is up at my parents farm, if we could be a bit more self sufficient we could move a bit further from the house (without the multiple powers leads). The big issue with the fixed panels for me is Inverloch gets bloody hot every year, and our regular site has a good tree that we make the most of the shade to keep the van cool, however it would shade the panels for all but the early morning. I hadn't really thought of security on the panels, but something to look into

50Ah does seem a bit small, Most systems we have been looking at seem to be more around the 180Ah range. The fridge is only run on the car when travelling and then on gas once we get on site (we run the 240volt for a day or so before we leave to get the temperature right for the trip)

We've also looked at a few systems that charge off the car as well and link in with a dual battery in the car for a bit more, we're looking at upgrading the main vehicle late next year so might even hold off for one of them

+1 for myswag mate.

Heaps and heaps on info on there and the members are more than willing to share their experiences and advice accordingly.

We have a 23ft Jayco Silverline with annex. Anything else is roughing it. They are quite an "investment" at over $100k including the vehicle :-(

Im sure "toy" is more appropriate when its parked next to the Plane....

:P

Im sure "toy" is more appropriate when its parked next to the Plane....

:P

Are you stalking me and keeping track of my investments (toys) ? lol

(I have photos in case you want to try and call BS :-) )

Edited by BC_J400

Are you stalking me and keeping track of my investments (toys) ? lol

(I have photos in case you want to try and call BS :-) )

Memory like a sponge.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this