Sign in to follow this  
Alex Simmons

IM rules

It can be difficult to distinguish what is earnt, and what isn't. When I moved sections about 15 years ago, I was doing the same work, though the hours & workload went down, and I got a $25k payrise. I couldn't honestly say I was earning that extra $25k.

Boy did things change a few years later though. :)

That's where we differ. If i find two dollars on the ground i put it in a charity tin. If i earn it i keep it, if I don't i give it.

ÃÂ

If I find two dollars, I'd buy a scratchie to see if my luck continues. I must be a bad person.

• Like 3

But what if the million bought you a high altitude training facility with it's own running track, hundreds of miles of trails and a fully equipt gym with all the weights and Swiss Balls your heart desires and you could sponsor MH as its ambassador and you could accumulate hundreds of followers with serious running issues and spend the rest of your life freeing the world of unsightly running gaits as the Guru of your own Running Utopia.

Â

Wouldn't that be money well stolen?

Â

(PS, you could even buy MH a hat)

It would need a big pond for you cast a line

• Like 2

You can only get into the royal family if you are already in the royal family if you know what I mean :twolove:

Used to be the same for the British royals as well, but they changed. If that's what you want than keep following your dream :smartarse:

It can be difficult to distinguish what is earnt, and what isn't. When I moved sections about 15 years ago, I was doing the same work, though the hours & workload went down, and I got a $25k payrise. I couldn't honestly say I was earning that extra $25k.

Â

Boy did things change a few years later though. :)

I'm lucky to earn $25k all up

Let alone a $25k pay rise

Nice work :-)

• Like 1

The drafting was pretty crook. However, it was a function of an over crowded course rather than a desire to cheat, I believe. They need to cap entries at about 1600-1800. 2300+ is too many.

• Like 2

It would need a big pond for you cast a line

C'mon. What if the million was drug money? Or if you found it hidden out in the desert waiting for some firearm dealers to make the transaction. Surely, keeping the money and using it to create a better life for yourself and all the people you could help would be a good thing. Right?

C'mon. What if the million was drug money? Or if you found it hidden out in the desert waiting for some firearm dealers to make the transaction. Surely, keeping the money and using it to create a better life for yourself and all the people you could help would be a good thing. Right?

If money could take me back to April 8th at 2:20 that would make my life better.

Money doesn't make you happy.

The video in this link http://www.trimes.org/2016/10/special-kona-la-verite-sur-le-drafting-tout-va-bien-tout-va-mal/ I think shows the reality more clearly than the still photos.

Too many competitors on the course. IM need to cut back on athletes (yeah, right) or split the age group men into smaller waves. Some of the people in those pics might be blatantly drafting, the others have no where to go.

If money could take me back to April 8th at 2:20 that would make my life better.

Sure makes being miserable easier though :) Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

Surely, keeping the money and using it to create a better life for yourself and all the people you could help would be a good thing. Right?

Yep

Mel H could get a hat , and maybe a good quad massage

it does not make you unhappy either

it does not make you unhappy either

Good point - now to find the $1,000,000 to see if it makes me unhappy

Even if I found $1,000,000 I would still read Trannies for my hit of negativity every day - it makes me appreciate what I have :smile1:

• Like 7

Good point - now to find the $1,000,000 to see if it makes me unhappy

When you do find it, it's mine.

I dropped my $1000000 right where you found it.

Honest!

The video in this link http://www.trimes.org/2016/10/special-kona-la-verite-sur-le-drafting-tout-va-bien-tout-va-mal/ I think shows the reality more clearly than the still photos.

The still photos after the video dont paint a good picture though. And even part of the video shows some big packs coming by.

My advice is qualify. Head over and race. Report back with your findings.

Knowing now where that video and the photo is taken I can understand why there was some packs coming through.

Over and out.

This is a direct translation from the french link above, but the essence of it sums it all up pretty well

In the end, we all lose, the honest athletes are questioned and it is akin to doping, because it is increasingly present, athletes who were well-intentioned eventually fall to the dark side not to become a victim.

My advice is qualify. Head over and race. Report back with your findings.

Knowing now where that video and the photo is taken I can understand why there was some packs coming through.

Over and out.

Great idea :smartarse:

Most Events are run by promotors or organisations who are in a business to make money.

WTC are a business and need to turn a profit to be viable.

The more entries the better the return......the entries will never ever be capped at 1500 or a number that will minimise drafting,it makes absolutely zero business sense.

Whilst people continue to que up to get to Hawaii they have a product we want and blatent drafting will not lessen the demand for spots from the general triathlon population.

If people stopped going and the demand dropped the conjestion would ease......but it wont happen,because we would all like to be there.

I did Hawaii in 1987 and I think the field was about 1400 its now 1000 more on a similar stretch of road.....it makes financial sense for WTC.

I have no problem with this at all, its their product.

When the $$ no longer stack up they drop the event....Mandurah 70.3 is a case in point.

So to save all the angst the solution is simple......allow drafting.

Let the competitors argue amongst themselves about who took the most turns !!!

The field size wont drop,most people don't care less.

I went to the bakery this morn to get some bread, initially it looked like I had just enough to cover the cost but on closer inspection I found an extra fiver in my wallet.

I can't confirm whether it was mine, I earned it or whether the kids stashed it in there from the mrs purse. Either way it allowed me to purchase a cream donut and croissant.

I was fckn stoked.... so the moral of the story is money makes me happy! And possibly fat but I'm fine with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I went to the bakery this morn to get some bread, initially it looked like I had just enough to cover the cost but on closer inspection I found an extra fiver in my wallet.

I can't confirm whether it was mine, I earned it or whether the kids stashed it in there from the mrs purse. Either way it allowed me to purchase a cream donut and croissant.

I was fckn stoked.... so the moral of the story is money makes me happy! And possibly fat but I'm fine with that.

Cream donut and crossiant I would have got a head of broccoli and a avocado instead ð

My new bike makes me happy.

I cant go back and change the bad things that happened to me in the past, but i can do my best to be as happy as possible going forward.

I will never deliberately draft or cheat. But i can see how good non cheating people can get caught in packs with so many athletes of a similar ability on course after a mass start.

Its good if the TOs take an understanding stance and dont ping everyone. Its a situation. And those there have the best perspective

Cream donut and crossiant I would have got a head of broccoli and a avocado instead ð

Don't get me wrong I did ask that question but they reminded me I was in a bakery not a fruit market.

• Like 5

Don't get me wrong I did ask that question but they reminded me I was in a bakery not a fruit market.

Lol

For better ( there are more races ) or worse ( there are more athletes on course ), it is what it is.

I agree with what's been said about blatant cheating, but working within the rules and taking the same advantage as others are, has to be considered if you are racing to win, podium or qualify.

If athletes aren't happy with it, don't race.

If athletes aren't happy with it, don't race.

It's for this reason alone that I have chosen not to qualify for Kona. :D

• Like 2

I'm prepared to selflessly offer my services as a crowd-funded guinea pig to test whether not having to work would make me happier.

Cutting past the usual "satisfaction from a job well done stuff", who here would really rather be at a desk, on the tools, etc than indulging one of their past-times or hobbies?

If anyone is thinking of replying with "make your passion your job and never work another day", a triathlon forum is a great place for you to make your case by explaining in some detail to a bunch of age groupers how that can pay a mortgage by doing some training and races.

If anyone is thinking of replying with "make your passion your job and never work another day", a triathlon forum is a great place for you to make your case by explaining in some detail to a bunch of age groupers how that can pay a mortgage by doing some training and races.

Talk to Corky.

Doh, I said that name.

Talk to Corky.

Â

Doh, I said that name.

She has a new 'athlete' page on Facebook. Just a public service announcement for anyone that would like to stalk her.

WTF is 'Win Network'?????

Are they the same mofos that keep sending me spam since I opened an online TAB account to bet on Spirig?

Edited by The Customer

The drafting was pretty crook. However, it was a function of an over crowded course rather than a desire to cheat, I believe. They need to cap entries at about 1600-1800. 2300+ is too many.

No! Then I wouldn't have made it! !

Yeah right!

Are they the same mofos that keep sending me spam since I opened an online TAB account to bet on Spirig?

It's channel 9

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Saw this one on the feed today:

Â

Screen-Shot-2016-10-14-at-9.56.54-AM.png

Clearly you weren't there so you can't comment on this photos of blatant drafting. ......

what a bullshit argument!!! if you were racing and did not see any drafting or participate in any .. well good for you. you only see a fraction of the event and what occurs around you the moment you pass that point.... the spectator / photographer sees way more.... get some perspective.

Drafting is endemic to IM simply because they do not care about policing it ..... 30 min penalty certainly would but... they do not want to upset their customers. You race , you draft a little , you get a PB..... next time you draft some more you get another PB ..... happy customer!

• Like 1

WIN is now affiliated with Ch10, as of a few months ago. Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) which was always the regional ch10 is now associated with ch9.

Â

On Facebook theres also a WIN page, which is Women's Inspirational Network

So when are you all about to start crowd-funding the experiment on whether giving me lots of money will make me happy?

Forget crowd funding. Apply for a Federal Gov grant to do the study.

• Like 1

So what was WIN again?

I thought it was the religion with Charlie Sheen as the spiritual head

If not, then who the hell have I been tithing too?

• Like 1