Jump to content
Turts

Bike set up - thoughts. As aero as possible.

Recommended Posts

Willie, I'm about ready for that Lazyboy bike now, if you have one ready for me!

Finally got my TT going again, but have only been using it on the trainer this week.  Finally got to try out my zip tied btb cage, and it won't work for me :(   Need to take both hands off the bars to open the bottle up, because when I try and do it with my teeth it feels like I'm gonna pull them out.  And this morning didn't have them in at all and was totally useless trying to gum the bottle open.

Back to a parachute behind the seat, like it will make any difference to me anyway.  I don't do anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just get a new biddon  u can open easy with your teeth

farbetter than the parachute behind the saddle , doesn't matter how fast or slow  u go it will slow u down

Edited by ironpo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But then I'd have to spend some money!  Was actually thinking that myself, but wanted to see what your (specifically your) reaction was :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goughy said:

But then I'd have to spend some money!  Was actually thinking that myself, but wanted to see what your (specifically your) reaction was :)

Lol

i was gunn say just buy a biddon or two!!! , but I rephrased it and say just GET a new biddon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, goughy said:

Willie, I'm about ready for that Lazyboy bike now, if you have one ready for me!

Finally got my TT going again, but have only been using it on the trainer this week.  Finally got to try out my zip tied btb cage, and it won't work for me :(   Need to take both hands off the bars to open the bottle up, because when I try and do it with my teeth it feels like I'm gonna pull them out.  And this morning didn't have them in at all and was totally useless trying to gum the bottle open.

Back to a parachute behind the seat, like it will make any difference to me anyway.  I don't do anything.

Just get a camelbak podium bottle. No need to open the bottle, just squeeze and out it comes 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get it, you still have to open the bottle to drink regardless of where you're storing it so why does it matter if it's behind the saddle or between the arms?

by the way if it's just one bottle behind the saddle it's not a parachute at all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Behind the saddle or on my frame, I always leave the bottles open, ready to suck. But the one btb's dribbled unless I closed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, goughy said:

Behind the saddle or on my frame, I always leave the bottles open, ready to suck. But the one btb's dribbled unless I closed it.

Mrs IP used to do this until the chief bike mechanic got cranky about having to clean the bike after each ride as it was covered in what ever she had been drinking

now she just pulls the lid open while it's still in the cage , just before she gets it out for a drink

win win

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like your chief bike mechanic is a pussy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, goughy said:

Sounds like your chief bike mechanic is a pussy!

Correct

he is also a clean freak

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to this topic!  Anyone used or seen these before?  Seems a cheap option to mount a bottle off the saddle, about $18 at wiggle.  Would save me using zip ties!  I've got an xlab gorilla cage spare for it.

https://tacx.com/product/saddle-clamp/

For OD and shorter I just use one drink bottle, so will carry it and a bottle for spares.  For longer stuff I'm thinking of just going the one behind the seat, and then I can discard and grab new ones from aid stations as required.  But atm I carry my spares bottle in my BTA cage as I find it a pain to get the bottle out anyway, and even then opening it is annoying (yes IP, I could find a more suitable bottle).  In the past I've been able to grab a bottle off my frame or from behind my seat without getting off the aerobars.  So is it too funky to carry the spares in the BTA, and am I the sort of person who's happy to be funky?

The last part will be grabbing a small top tube bag to tuck behind my stem to carry lollies etc.  I don't mount a garmin, just wear it.  But I'm thinking if I get to do something really long I'll mount my old 310 somewhere to record the bike so my watch doesn't run out of juice on the walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks alright 

$12 is pretty cheap so I'm not sure u would want to put any thing to important in it in case it snaps in half

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Versions of that sort of setup have been around for a long time. 

The original ones had a few issues that could have been easily sorted but they moved on to fancy expensive carbon ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, roxii said:

Versions of that sort of setup have been around for a long time. 

The original ones had a few issues that could have been easily sorted but they moved on to fancy expensive carbon ones. 

Mmmmm carbon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna get one of these

http://www.wiggle.com.au/xlab-torpedo-kompact-125-aero-hydration-system/

My zip ties have developed a squeak which drives me batty. I'll just remove the Garmin mount thingy from it. Comes with one of those valve bottle things you don't have to open! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been looking around, but it seems no one makes an aero style spares/tools storage container for mounting on a frame.  At least not something generic.  Sure trek and specialized etc have them for their own bikes.

But I'd have thought someone would have come up with one by now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xlab rocket pockets are the go

And their stealth pockets for extra aero

Edited by Turts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Turts said:

Xlab rocket pockets are the go

And their stealth pockets for extra aero

Groovy names

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×