Sign in to follow this  
Toolish

Technical Skills

I have caught the MTB bug pretty badly. I was riding yesterday with a guy who has done a lot of MTB riding and I could not believe how much time he put into me in really slow twisty corners.

Does anyone have any advice for improving technical skills, other than just ride technical stuff lots?

Ride technical sections over and over; consider using flat shoes to build skills; use a short stem (50-70mm)and wide bars. Practice doing very tight figure 8's on a flat grass area... use flat shoes so you can dab a foot if necessary. Finally, learn to track stand... this will improve your low speed balance and confidence dramatically.

Edited by Chookman

Ride technical sections over and over; consider using flat shoes to build skills; use a short stem (50-70mm)and wide bars. Practice doing very tight figure 8's on a flat grass area... use flat shoes so you can dab a foot if necessary. Finally, learn to track stand... this will improve your low speed balance and confidence dramatically.

I think I'm still a novice. Probably always will be.

I have an 8 race season over 4 months coming up. About 3 of those races are intermediate to advanced level. I will change the pedals to flat about a week before each race and ride the races with a slightly lowered seat and flat shoes.

Kamal2

A dropper seat post is a great help if mix of technical and non tech. Allow to ride with seat up on non tech parts, but drop post on anything technical. 75mm dropper is great on the cross country bike.

Kamal2

A dropper seat post is a great help if mix of technical and non tech. Allow to ride with seat up on non tech parts, but drop post on anything technical. 75mm dropper is great on the cross country bike.

dropper posts are fantastic!

Â

I think I'm still a novice. Probably always will be.

Â

Â

It's all about improving yourself. If you ca cut a few minutes off your race time or enjoy your riding more through improved technical ability then spending 10 minutes a few times each week is worth it. You can teach yourself to trackstand within a month and the flow on from this will be immediately noticeable. On uphill technical sections you will have the confidence to push on with less fear of stalling and falling off. Being able to hold on for a few seconds rather than dab a foot down can be the difference between getting through a difficult section or walking. Spend 10-20 mins 4x per week with half the time doing track stands and the remainder doing low speed tight figure 8's. As you progress, do them 1 handed.
  • Like 2

What is a trackstand?

I assume slowing to almost stationary without unclicking and resume riding from that position.

What is a trackstand?

Â

I assume slowing to almost stationary without unclicking and resume riding from that position.

balancing whilst stationary.

This thread is a good starting point:

http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=69700

You need to practice the same things over and over again. Real techy stuff I break down into stages. Then once I clean the whole thing I have a rule I can't leave until I have done it 10 times in a row.

I don't recommend flat if practicing for XC because you use the pedals differently. For slow techy obstacles go with a friend and take turns catching each other. That is how alot of the top guys learn stuff. Hurts less and costs less in parts.