Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Forks Which are Included with Bike.

So I just the read TheKeeper and One Zero's post in the new bike thread.

So shopping new or 2nd hand.

What kind of air fork do you accept on a new or used bike?

Brand and model. And amount of travel?

So when getting a big shop discount what would you accept on initial purchase?

Hey Kamal2,

It depends on two things

1. price

2. use (fire roads, single track, downhill, XC, enduro etc.)

Oh and remember, you gotta service your forks every 50hrs of use!

Edited by OneZero

Because I'm only riding XC I tend to only want 4-5" of travel and I want light weight (1300-1600g).

Forks that look for:

1. Fox: Forx CTD 32mm stanchions. Fox don't tend to have low end models to get cheaper they just cut out features like lockout and compression adjustment, leaving you with just rebound adjustment.

2. Rockshox: SID 32mm RLC or Reba as a minimum with rebound, lockout and compression adjust. The lower models like Recon start getting too heavy.

These are good forks but Magura, and x-fusion make good forks too but you need to look into the models towards the top end. Rockshox has also recently come out with their upside down carbon fork RS-1 which is quite light and quite stiff but pricey.

A potential bike may not have the fork I want but if it has the frame or components I want and I can replace the fork somewhat cheaply with what I want (say if I have one sitting in the garage already) I might buy it.

Hey Kamal2,

It depends on two things

1. price

2. use (fire roads, single track, downhill, XC, enduro etc.)

Oh and remember, you gotta service your forks every 50hrs of use!

You are going into a shop and you are looking at bikes with a big discount.

What kind of fork do you expect to see on the bike?

Or like Slowman has mentioned you buy the bike and upgrade the fork later.

REPLY TO ONE ZERO.

You are going into a shop and you are looking at bikes with a big discount.

What kind of fork do you expect to see on the bike?

Or like Slowman has mentioned you buy the bike and upgrade the fork later.

All terrain racing level.

Edited by Kamal2

What Slowman said. Just t add: All fox forks from 2015 use the fit 4 damper, which is very nice The high end models just have a bit more tuneability. The Pre 2015 evolution forks are shit... avoid or spend $300 on a damper upgrade.

As mentioned above forks need to be serviced regularly. Every 50 hour or so the lowers need to be dropped and the bath oil replaced. Depending upon the riding you do, the wiper/dust seals need to be replaced every 6 months or so. Dampers are generally serviced when they start playing up, unless you like throwing away $250 on a regular basis.

If you are keen on doing your own damper and air spring servicing, rockshox are a lot easier than Fox.

Edited by Chookman
  • Like 1

What Slowman said. Just t add: All fox forks from 2015 use the fit 4 damper, which is very nice The high end models just have a bit more tuneability. The Pre 2015 evolution forks are shit... avoid or spend $300 on a damper upgrade.

As mentioned above forks need to be serviced regularly. Every 50 hour or so the lowers need to be dropped and the bath oil replaced. en Depending upon the riding you do, the wiper/dust seals need to be replaced every 6 months or so. Dampers are generally serviced whthey start playing up, unless you like throwing away $250 on a regular basis.

If you are keen on doing your own damper and air spring servicing, rockshox are a lot easier than Fox.

So if going into a shop and selecting a bike which I hope to be in a position to do mid of next year. You look for Rockshox?

Some bikes have a manufacturor's name branded fork. Would you accept that?

Key point here. If getting a deal on a bike do you buy it anyway? Consider upgrades later?

Â

Â

So if going into a shop and selecting a bike which I hope to be in a position to do mid of next year. You look for Rockshox?

Â

Some bikes have a manufacturor's name branded fork. Would you accept that?

Â

Key point here. If getting a deal on a bike do you buy it anyway? Consider upgrades later?

Fox and Rockshox are both pretty good in the mid to higher level forks. If buying new I'd be looking for RS Reba or Fox performance series as a minimum.

Most new bikes will have forks matched to the quality of componentry. Giants, Treks, Norco etc will often have Fox performance ctd or Rockshox Sid, or perhaps RS pikes matched to XT or Sram equivalent. I can't comment on Manitou, Suntour and others as I know nothing about them. To answer your Q, if you do get a good deal on a bike with decent components and an average fork, then later on you can spend another $500-1000 on a higher end fork and it would make a very nice upgrade.

• Like 1

XC? You are looking at 80-100mm travel.

Like Holden's and Ford's many MTBers have a strong preference for one or the other. Fox are generally considered more plush for the same spec. I initially agreed until I had someone who did a great job on my rockshox.

The Rockshox lockout is far superior to the Fox lockout. Although I do hear a new one is in th emaking from Fox.

Generally in motor sports you expect more features with higher end forks , but in XC MTBing you often have less features on the higher end stuff to optimise weight loss. generally they may only have adjustment for the rebound or compression such as the SID XX with carbon steerer.

In terms of buying bikes of the floor. I only really do a comparison of value for money between the two.

• Like 1