japay1

Any benefit from strength work/lifting

51 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Interesting. 

When I ran at my best I used to run steadily to the base of a reasonably steep hill and then run up the hill 5-6 times with 100% on form, knee drive and pushing all the way(hip extension). Then run easy home. ****ing tough set. And I noticed that I could demolish my normal rolling run routes and stay in better form for the whole time. Awesome feeling. 

Be interesting what age you where then I am big believer in after 30's actual strength training is more beneficial to an athlete then continual loading via cardio vascular training output.  

26 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Be interesting what age you where then I am big believer in after 30's actual strength training is more beneficial to an athlete then continual loading via cardio vascular training output.  

Mid 30's 

Fittest and healthiest I've been. 

2 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Beneficial for what

5 to 8 hill repeats (30  to 45 seconds)hard run then easy down.

seems to do some good. Good thing for run economy is run frequently and do striders at back end if runs.

negative splitting long run

once done that for a while one threshold session never fails. Start each winter at over 20 min 5 k pace then end up running half marathon pace at 410

On 27/05/2018 at 12:33 PM, Tyno said:

1RM is 1 rep max.

You're doing 10 reps at 90 kg, but have you ever tried to see just how heavy you can go for a single?

if its ~110 you're at around the right weight.

OK, so tried this today. 110 is doable but 115 impossible for me, so I guess my 1RM is 110.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Mid 30's 

Fittest and healthiest I've been. 

Was that when you were doing PT sessions with your mate too

10 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Recently started doing some weights just to keep some of the Baywatch muscles going

I am not muscly far from it.  

Intersting at the two gyms I work I get ridiculed for doing endurance actvities and in the endurance world get ridiculed for doing strength work.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Beneficial for what

Doesnt matter what I write in response so my best response give it a go and find out.  I don't mean go and do machine weights do movement based weights.  

17 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I am not muscly far from it.  

Intersting at the two gyms I work I get ridiculed for doing endurance actvities and in the endurance world get ridiculed for doing strength work.

Then you post something on Transitions that you know from experience is of great benefit to many readers of the forum and some tool always comes along and ridicules - but when you see the race results of these guys there whole life is strewn with excuses and negativity - so I personally treat it like speaking to a large group of people - you speak to those who are paying attention - not to the heckler who is in love with the sound of his own voice - or the guy who is making paper aeroplanes in the front row 

Keep doing what you know is right - share the knowledge and the intelligent ones will take it on board - my experience from PMs send that there is a large number of intelligent readers of this forum who are open to ideas, but remain quiet and listen 😏

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Was that when you were doing PT sessions with your mate too

Yes. 

But I didn't do as much pt as I did hills. 

It was mostly boezoo single leg squats and TRX type full body cables and core stuff. 

I also did "some" plyo stuff from the book Going Long. 

Reading that back surprises me in two ways.... 

FARK I had lots of free time prior to my daughter being born. 

And 

Geez I actually did do a reasonable amount of strength stuff.. 

Interesting 🤔🤔

• Like 1

The diffierence is Fitness Buddy doesn’t post with a self promoting, arrogant, condescending tone, that be littles others. 

Then attack the person if a poster doesn’t agree with him.

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

Yes. 

But I didn't do as much pt as I did hills. 

It was mostly boezoo single leg squats and TRX type full body cables and core stuff. 

I also did "some" plyo stuff from the book Going Long. 

Reading that back surprises me in two ways.... 

FARK I had lots of free time prior to my daughter being born. 

And 

Geez I actually did do a reasonable amount of strength stuff.. 

Interesting 🤔🤔

How do we know the PT sessions didnt benefit the other training?  We will never know.  But considering the outcome you had we can quietly say it may have had along with the other stuff.  The issue here is people want data and studies to justify everything your case here is a study in itself.  You stated you were at your fittest and healthiest and were doing a mixture of training methods not solely reliant on one form.  The strength may or may not have transfered over but it did give your another training session which lessened load on joints, gave the CV system and bit of break and stimulated the nervous system in another way.

• Like 1

If I didn't believe that it would help, having read the fact via Going Long etc, I would not have done it. 

7 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Doesnt matter what I write in response so my best response give it a go and find out.  I don't mean go and do machine weights do movement based weights.  

Try engaging with a curious mindset. I agree weights are good and do them. 

Shannon Noll  endorses it

Edited by Merv

I'm big on weights.  When I was a superstar triathlete I used to train and race a lot, but had man boobies.  Now I work out all the time and never do any cardio and am ripped.  I would encourage people not to believe all the lies around cardio.

3 minutes ago, Mank said:

I'm big on weights.  When I was a superstar triathlete I used to train and race a lot, but had man boobies.  Now I work out all the time and never do any cardio and am ripped.  I would encourage people not to believe all the lies around cardio.

can't flex cardio, bra

55 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

can't flex cardio, bra

Correct.  Also from an evolutionary perspective, in cave times you basically had a fight or flee response, so that for example if a lion attacked your tribe you could run away, or stand your ground and like bench press the yellow f&cker right out of there.  Which didn’t have the same success rate on a lion-by-lion basis, but overall meant more chance of passing on your genes, because your existing kids wouldn’t get eaten while you were running off into the jungle, but also because the chicks who were coupled up with the running-off types would get the picture real fast.  Same thing happens today - lot of unhappy thin guys around.

• Haha 1