Kamal2

Slick Tire Front or Back?

I have 11,800 on the tires. The back tire is slick and I have been getting punctures.

My bike shop owner ordered me the Ikons but we have to wait for the conversion kit and the valves.

I want to rotate the slick tire to the front. Generally speaking will that make any difference? The front tire is considerably less worn than the back tire..

You might get more flats on the front???

I have 11,800 on the tires. The back tire is slick and I have been getting punctures.

My bike shop owner ordered me the Ikons but we have to wait for the conversion kit and the valves.

I want to rotate the slick tire to the front. Generally speaking will that make any difference? The front tire is considerably less worn than the back tire..

Putting a bald tyre on the front? Are you crazy? :lol::lol: Hows your dental insurance?

Kamal, it is essential to have good grip on the front tyre for good cornering traction. You can handle a bit of drift on the rear but a front wheel will just wash out and leave you face first in the dirt.

Moving the bald tyre to the front could mean less flats because 70% of your weight is on the rear tyre, however if you attempt to ride aggressively offroad it will end in tears. I'd only do it if you have no other bike and can ride straight non technical tracks or dirt roads. Even dirt roads or fire trails at speed on a bend might leave you with dental issues.

I would put the Ikons on with tubes until the tubeless conversion stuff arrives and then do the conversion. Or buy a cheapy for the front in the meantime.

• Like 1

Putting a bald tyre on the front? Are you crazy? :lol::lol: Hows your dental insurance?

Kamal, it is essential to have good grip on the front tyre for good cornering traction. You can handle a bit of drift on the rear but a front wheel will just wash out and leave you face first in the dirt.

Moving the bald tyre to the front could mean less flats because 70% of your weight is on the rear tyre, however if you attempt to ride aggressively offroad it will end in tears. I'd only do it if you have no other bike and can ride straight non technical tracks or dirt roads. Even dirt roads or fire trails at speed on a bend might leave you with dental issues.

I would put the Ikons on with tubes until the tubeless conversion stuff arrives and then do the conversion. Or buy a cheapy for the front in the meantime.

Copy. The tire still has a side tread slick through the middle.

I'm getting older slower.

Time to put on the Ikons.

And I wasn't going off road with the slick tire. it does roll nicely on the highway.

Edited by Kamal2

Ikon is okay for the rear but I think you would benefit from something like an Ardent Race for the front. It will give you predictable loss of traction where as the Ikon on the front is alittle less predictable when it lets go.

Putting a bald tyre on the front is a really silly idea. Even if you are not going off road on it I know I would prefer a high speed flat on the rear than front :shutup:

Edited by thekeeper

Ikon is okay for the rear but I think you I would benefit from something like an Ardent Race for the front. It will give you predictable lose of traction where as the Ikon on the front is alittle less predictable when it lets go.

Putting a bald tyre on the front is a really silly idea. Even if you are not going off road on it I know I would prefer a high speed flat on the rear than front :shutup:

Ok noted.

• Like 1

I didn't think it was all that crazy so I went and had another look at the tires. Now at almost 12000 km.

They are GEAX Mezcals per the lable.

The front tire the good one is in remarkably good shape. Has a visible tread and the side tread is intact.

Then on the back. The mid of the tire looks like a racing slick. The tread is not visible except towards the outside.The side tread is totally intact.

I had those 3 punctures in 3 days. None since. I took no action so far. The Ikons are not yet here.

i understand what you Slowman and the keeper were saying about the risks. But is there a significant risk?. I always thought slicks were good for racing. And as i said I'm not going off road currently.

Anyway rephrasing the question. Does a slick tire roll better on the front or back in terms of speed?

ÃÂ

Anyway rephrasing the question. Does a slick tire roll better on the front or back in terms of speed?

Back. Hence the reason many run a wider more aggressive front tyre and a faster rolling less grippy rear. Edited by Chookman

I am now tubeless. Went with Schwalbe 2.25's. Nobbly Nic's but I did not have a choice.

Quite happy. Got an insider deal on the tires slightly used. And the conversion. Had issues with one valve losing air slightly and had 2 follow up visits. But well worth it. All fine now.

Edited by Kamal2
  • Like 1