The Customer

Clip on bars for Madone integrated bars/stem

Seems like the dreaded 'draft legal' race format is here to stay in the Middle East, and whilst I believe it creates more issues than National Geographic, it's a case of 'if you can't beat em, join em' if you want to race.

There is a Trek Madone 9 coming my way with integrated stem/bars. It would be nice if I could add some ITU legal clip on bars, simply because, in the women's race I won't get the chance to draft off anyone - it'll be a TT exercise for me and getting aero will be of benefit.

This is the shape of the bars. Anyone know if there are clip on aerobars available that would fit such a flat profile?

cheers

trek_madone_9_series_wings_zpsdqspewlf.j

Edited by The Customer

NO

I've been asking trek since the new madone came out when they will be releasing an aerobar and they keep saying soon

What's it been 18 months now

Great bike though

Trek52 might have a few more answers

• Like 1

Cheers. Can't wait to ride it. Been riding the same little road bike for the past 8 years and it's looking a bit shabby. The Madone 9 feels very fast and I've only been rolling around the bike shop on it. LOL

• Like 1

Cheers. Can't wait to ride it. Been riding the same little road bike for the past 8 years and it's looking a bit shabby. The Madone 9 feels very fast and I've only been rolling around the bike shop on it. LOL

It's fast

I'd love to make it into a TT bike but the front end is just too complicated

Your only hope would be to be able to put normal road bars on it. I have seen a pic of someone that did that, not sure what stem they used. I won't want to clip bars on them anyway as they would scratch them up.

• Like 1

Your only hope would be to be able to put normal road bars on it. I have seen a pic of someone that did that, not sure what stem they used.

I'm sure u can't do this unless u engineer your own due to the front brake set up

Digging up an old thread but does anyone know if this is a reality as yet?

Just got my Madone 9.9 and love it to bits.  Can't possibly justify a $10k + tri bike to compare to it so just want to find a solution for tri bars and hook it up to eTap and best of both worlds.

41 minutes ago, deano646 said:

Digging up an old thread but does anyone know if this is a reality as yet?

Just got my Madone 9.9 and love it to bits.  Can't possibly justify a $10k + tri bike to compare to it so just want to find a solution for tri bars and hook it up to eTap and best of both worlds.

Go for an old school solution. Some titanium rods and a Tig welder should do the trick. 

• Like 2

The venge bars clamp onto the stem not the bars, the bars are also alloy not carbon. Clamping something onto carbon where it was not intended to be clamped and having your whole body weight lean on it is asking for trouble. You can try it if you like ! 

24 minutes ago, Blacky said:

The venge bars clamp onto the stem not the bars, the bars are also alloy not carbon. Clamping something onto carbon where it was not intended to be clamped and having your whole body weight lean on it is asking for trouble. You can try it if you like ! 

Whole body weight???  I wasn't intending on doing hand stands on the bars!  A little bit of core strength should ensure the weight on the bars is only very slight.

5 hours ago, deano646 said:

Whole body weight???  I wasn't intending on doing hand stands on the bars!  A little bit of core strength should ensure the weight on the bars is only very slight.

In theory yes but hit a pothole at speed and that weight can shift pretty fast.

• Like 1

I have a "clip on tri bar" for my Trek factory racing team isdue bike. I made it. Its been great for racing draft legal triathlons. I can now hold 40k/h at 285-290w using the bars(@76kg).

Edited by Jeremy Critchett

Confused. I thought in draft legal racing all aerobars - clip on or otherwise - were verboten ... am I wrong? If so, what is legal?

$13,500 rrp. Frack me. Got a nose bleed just reading the promo page.

I really wonder just how much faster that bike is compared to my 2005 model Madone 5.9 with 808s and conti comp tabbies ... I'm guessing ... not much ...

Trek have just released the conversion headset assembly to convert the madone to traditional bar and stem set up. 

In Triathlon Australia rules clause 3.15  p14 in all Draft legal races for elite, u23 and junior, the ITU competition rules apply, but not limited to...........d. clip-ons will be permitted as long as they do not extent beyond the foremost line of the brake lever. 

20161118_214901.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Critchett said:

In Triathlon Australia rules clause 3.15  p14 in all Draft legal races for elite, u23 and junior, the ITU competition rules apply, but not limited to...........d. clip-ons will be permitted as long as they do not extent beyond the foremost line of the brake lever. 

20161118_214901.jpg

Nice set up 

what's the flat plate made out of ?

11 hours ago, y_bike said:

Trek have just released the conversion headset assembly to convert the madone to traditional bar and stem set up. 

What happens to the hidden brake?

surely a better option is for them to make aaetobar to fit in the current  set up

Brake remains hidden, it's a different headset cover that allows the routing to work with a traditional bar and stem. 

Same as on the new madone 9.0

IMG_2844.PNG

1 hour ago, Jeremy Critchett said:

20161118_214901.jpg

Well - what about the AG sprint qualifiers (and also the world champs themselves) - did i misread the TA page that seems to say (I thought) that clip on aero bars (even those not extending beyond the brake hoods) are prohibited?

42 minutes ago, y_bike said:

Brake remains hidden, it's a different headset cover that allows the routing to work with a traditional bar and stem. 

Same as on the new madone 9.0

IMG_2844.PNG

Like this 

4 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Well - what about the AG sprint qualifiers (and also the world champs themselves) - did i misread the TA page that seems to say (I thought) that clip on aero bars (even those not extending beyond the brake hoods) are prohibited?

Found it - Rule 5.2 f)(ii) - clip ons are prohibited for AG draft legal races ...