hacq1

Cairns IM 2019 who's in??

39 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

AP showing as Dnf hope he’s okay 

18 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

I notice that his results disappeared from all of the splits

He cut the bike leg short. 

Someone needs to tell cliff Glenn in the over 40s he just has to finish for a kona spot. 

Everyone else is a dnf or dns in the age group. 

1362 is his number.  

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Luke Bell. 

A2FD4987-A098-450F-BE01-B212524688E8.png

74135D37-5A30-4C80-A042-0B86ED4DAC9F.png

Geezus what did he hit? And waiting 4.5 hrs for an ambulance is  crazy!?!? 

1 hour ago, Turts said:

No sponsors for the female winner? Plain black trisuit? 

Apparently always like this. 

Leading age grouper overall was Christopher Boyle in the men's 40-44 years age group - winning in 8:53:01 with a 51:19 swim 4:48:23 bike and3:08:09 run to post the 7th fastest time overall. Congrats Chris...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Apparently always like this. 

Shes a rookie I think. I can't tell, need to get past the Cairns Post paywall.

Edited by MissJess

8 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Shes a rookie I think. I can't tell, need to get past the Cairns Post paywall.

Nah she won IMNZ last year and went to Kona but I think she's pretty particular about who supports her..

• Like 1

Any news on our trannies that are racing. Where's Bored@ when we need an update?

I’m at the RSL having dinner with the girls. It’s been a big day. 

My little super is worn out & needs some food.

37D72F55-95BC-45C2-98DD-B1162A0606B8.jpeg

• Like 5

Just now, Bored@work said:

Raining heavy now!! Looks like all those hill repeats in the rain will pay off 

Of course it is ...

The half Ironman medal has the full distances on it. 

People have just worked it out & are coming back to get the right medal lol

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, The Customer said:

has AP qualified for Kona yet this year?

Qualifying is 99% mental 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, The Customer said:

He wasn't hungry enough for it....

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Surely he drinks enough of their kool-aide and a simple phone call will sort it all out.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bosco said:

Congratulations 

Not mine! You may not of heard, I’m retired. 

Just jogged a bit with coffs Pete he’s at 21km mark & shuffling along 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pieman said:

Nah she won IMNZ last year and went to Kona but I think she's pretty particular about who supports her..

She won Cairns last year + second at IMNZ. She declined Kona slot after finishing 2nd IMNZ this year. 

So cool seeing her P2 next to Sarah Trues Shiv! 

• Like 1

It's going to be touch and go for Les. 15 kms to go and two and a half hours left. He is averaging just over 10 min per km.

I hope it works out - even if its a Greyman.

FM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi All

It was a tough race today but my blind mate and I were able to get across the line in (I think) 12:38 - our slowest IM by far but John started cramping at about the 100k mark on the bike and was sick on the guts during the run - but he is a tough old bastard (he is 58 and I am 59).

Thanks Bord@work for looking after me at your aid station on the run whilst John was in the loo.

Not sure what happened to AP as I saw him in his wettie at the swim start but then saw him in the crowd cheering people on later during our first lap of the run.

Mungo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

It’s a shame he couldn’t have helped volunteer. We were struggling for numbers

What has Ironman ever done for him? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, roxii said:

What has Ironman ever done for him? 

The event really struggled for volunteers yesterday. There was talk of having to increase the payments to local sporting clubs etc to get them to help out. 

To quote an official from Ironman “our best support group decided not to continue helping after last year and another group pulled out on Monday. We need to look at how to get more local sporting clubs to volunteer” 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Mungo said:

Hi All

It was a tough race today but my blind mate and I were able to get across the line in (I think) 12:38 - our slowest IM by far but John started cramping at about the 100k mark on the bike and was sick on the guts during the run - but he is a tough old bastard (he is 58 and I am 59).

Thanks Bord@work for looking after me at your aid station on the run whilst John was in the loo.

Not sure what happened to AP as I saw him in his wettie at the swim start but then saw him in the crowd cheering people on later during our first lap of the run.

Mungo

Haha sorry I referred to you as MANGO & your athlete at BLONDE. I was tired when I was typing. 

5 hours ago, Mungo said:

Hi All

Mungo

Great work guys you are an impressive duo. 

Do you both register a finish these days?!

9 hours ago, Flanman said:

It's going to be touch and go for Les. 15 kms to go and two and a half hours left. He is averaging just over 10 min per km.

I hope it works out - even if its a Greyman.

FM

lest we forget 😭

Interesting with an IPO in the cards, how do you sell a business whose bottom line relies on the fickle nature of volunteers? 

Coffs Peter 16:39 & Ironman number 40 in the bag. He’s a tough old bugger who refuses to quit!!! Good on him. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, roxii said:

Interesting with an IPO in the cards, how do you sell a business whose bottom line relies on the fickle nature of volunteers? 

They will charge more to race. Then pay the volunteers more. People will bitch & moan but they will still pay it. 

Its $740 to race the the 70.3 in Nice & people are paying it 

33 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Coffs Peter 16:39 & Ironman number 40 in the bag. He’s a tough old bugger who refuses to quit!!! Good on him. 

Great news. The trackers was rubbish so didn’t know. 

11 hours ago, Bosco said:

She won Cairns last year + second at IMNZ. She declined Kona slot after finishing 2nd IMNZ this year. 

Knew it was something like that...

her coach is pretty switched on in terms of bikefit and aero so I doubt she is leaving anything on the table there... as an ex water polo player, her swim is pretty top notch as well.. shes one to watch in the future at bigger events..

40 minutes ago, roxii said:

What’s more interesting is what percentage they are selling.  It will be less than 50%.

12 hours ago, KieranR said:

Ironman tracker showing AP as did not finish?

Maybe he's been a bit too cocky lately - he's had a smart mouth lately. 

• Like 1

Thanks Roxi,

Yes I am considered as a finisher in my own right these days.  You will see my results in my age group results. This is only a relatively later change when in the past the Guide wasn’t considered as a finisher and didn’t even get a towel or medal.  Also as a guide I do not pay an entry fee, only the Paratriathlete pays the entry fee and my entry is free (not even the Active Fee!).

Mungo

11 minutes ago, Mungo said:

Thanks Roxi,

Yes I am considered as a finisher in my own right these days.  You will see my results in my age group results. This is only a relatively later change when in the past the Guide wasn’t considered as a finisher and didn’t even get a towel or medal.  Also as a guide I do not pay an entry fee, only the Paratriathlete pays the entry fee and my entry is free (not even the Active Fee!).

Mungo

That’s great news mate. 

Yeah I remember when Ched Townes used to race poor old Judy didn’t get anything. 

I think Glenn Gorrick pushes hard for the change as he wanted to do the race with Nathan but didn’t want to lose his spot in the all time list.

Either way stellar effort from you two boys and still a bloody decent time. With all the ups and downs an individual encounters on race day I don’t know how you manage that between two of you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Great news on Coffs Pete. Well done old bloke! 

Any news on Les? 

After two days of coverage on sunrise morning show, I think Cairns is now a higher profile ironman than Port Mac. Once they get the volunteers situation sorted out, they could challenge for the IMA title. Bit controversial, but it would make Port Mac township lift their game in sorting out the road problems etc. 

Right.

Quick race report. Why do I do this again?

My leadup was poor. injured 8 weeks out, and lost ~6 weeks of training time. Volume for the last two months worked out to be ~130km on the CX bike, 25km of running and 15km of swimming.

So saying, it was a lovely day out.Palm COve was the best we had seen it in the 3 trips that we had made out. there was a northerly current, so the first half was slow, I ended up not swimming straight, and my watched pinged 2km just before the far turn around bouy for 44mins (my last half swim was 33m, for reference) 38mins and 2.1km for the second half. A little slower than I would have liked, but there isn't anything I could do about it.

We came up from Canberra Last week to acclimatize. the last week and a half up here was very different weather to yesterday. (I saw more blue sky yesterday that I have seen cumulative for the previous week and a half). The bike leg was flying, just kept it nice and easy, and managed to average nearly 35km/h up to Port Douglas. About halfway up, I did the math, and realised we must have had a tailwind. when we turned, this was proven. over the next few hours, the southerly just got stronger. I started cramping at the 130km mark, had a few stints off the bike. All comes down to not enough bike fitness. The cramps intensified for the last 10km, so much so that I was crying for the last 5km once I could seen the runners, three pedal strokes, and stop to stretch, repeat, 7h and change for the ride, lost about 15mins on the side of the road stretching overall.

The run was about what you could expect with so little volume, a long walk. 6h30m with a fair few potty breaks. Managed to bump into Sean (Can't remember your screen name, sorry), and yelled encouragement at @Coffs Pete who was a half lap down. Always good to see him out their. I hope I am still able to do this at his age. The rain was interesting, for my first two laps, I would hit the Marina, and it would be raining on the south side. Then as soon as we went back through, it would be dry.  after the third lap through it then started to settle in through the rest of the course as well.

Overall? 15h10m with the happy knowledge that I can still do this thing, even when I am forced not to train.

Edit: - Elsewhere, I was asked how much training I managed - over the last 2 months? 18k swim, 185k bike, 57k run, so about what I should be averaging a week.

Edited by Cape_Horn
  • Like 8

Coffs Pete got home in 16:28:28 - just 92 seconds short of the cut-off of 16:30 hours. Coffs@ was the last person home.

Spoke with Les this morning and he was pulled off the course on the last lap. He would have made it if it was a 17 hour cut-off.

FM

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Coffs Pete got home in 16:28:28 - just 92 seconds short of the cut-off of 16:30 hours. Coffs@ was the last person home.

Spoke with Les this morning and he was pulled off the course on the last lap. He would have made it if it was a 17 hour cut-off.

FM

Why was it a 16:30 cutoff? Is it always at Cairns?

13 minutes ago, Katz said:

Why was it a 16:30 cutoff? Is it always at Cairns?

Maybe something to do with the already later start? I started at 810, and half the field was behind me.

14 hours ago, Bosco said:

Chrissie no. 2