hacq1

Cairns IM 2019 who's in??

On 05/06/2019 at 6:10 AM, Flanman said:

Windy

FM

8F05CEA2-86B0-43BD-9E6D-E85B41894DCD.jpeg

85E426B5-AA95-45FE-A19E-00ABD0509250.jpeg

Jungle Perch??

Seeing the pictures of the conditions in the ocean, and based on previous IM cancellations, it's looking a bit 'rough' for having the swim.

On 05/06/2019 at 12:10 PM, Flanman said:

Windy

FM

8F05CEA2-86B0-43BD-9E6D-E85B41894DCD.jpeg

85E426B5-AA95-45FE-A19E-00ABD0509250.jpeg

Is that your bait?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, softy said:

Jungle Perch??

Looks like a javelin fish, known as a grunter in the north

Yep, grunter. Picked up four plus a fingermark. Very slow day but always good to get out. 

FM

Little love for the race?  Got off the plane yesterday and it was cold!  Ride this morning with a couple of tops on - forecast of 27 for Sunday so that’s better but could be a bit wet. Nice set up here with the expo and where everything is right in the middle of town, big queue to register last night so left it to this morning. 300 athletes from Japan here, Jetstar has 190 employees also racing (they’re a major sponsor). 

• Like 1

Should have added that got upgraded from the cheapest Toyota to a hyundai Kona - maybe a message in that??  Did wonder if Bored@ would have turned it down on principle?  Nice car btw.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, truck said:

Should have added that got upgraded from the cheapest Toyota to a hyundai Kona - maybe a message in that??  Did wonder if Bored@ would have turned it down on principle?  Nice car btw.  

I like the island & the ppl of kona. I have an issue with all the wankers who think racing Ironman kona makes them better than everyone else. 

16 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I like the island & the ppl of kona. I have an issue with all the wankers who think racing Ironman kona makes them better than everyone else. 

Driving around in it I can just feel the envy of all the Ute drivers up here 😂

• Haha 2

Some pics from the kids tri this morning. Very popular and great to see. The latest in tri bikes through to the finish line. 

02A939E8-CB35-4CBC-B26E-7A9F27302130.jpeg

76FB052F-2A8A-43AE-AE78-E090B7BDB444.jpeg

4F91E3F0-CB49-44A9-8EE9-0D32416BF2EE.jpeg

48C65A6C-9295-419E-A4F7-C1E14FE23C25.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, truck said:

Driving around in it I can just feel the envy of all the Ute drivers up here 😂

I’m still struggling to understand how a Hyundai can be considered an upgrade. 

I will do a easy swim today. I forgoes a 20k ride. Pros and cons of safety in the wet. I am sore from moving furniture during my taper period. I am getting my place rebuilt on Monday from the February floods. It's been a very hard period in my life. I just worked around it. Remember to say hi to my Dad at the swim exit. My family threw his ashes in the sea in 2005 at Palm cove. He will be there protecting you and supporting the whole day. 😀

• Like 4

On 05/06/2019 at 9:44 AM, AP said:

You'll find if you swim in it the visibility is always poor - it may look OK on the top - it can get a hell of a chop there - a few years ago it was so rough a lot of the poorer swimmers got pulled out 2/3 the way through because they just were not going to make it 😪

I got sea sick in 2016. Glad it ended when it did or I would've spewed. 

Disclaimer - I get motion sickness pretty easy though.

32 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I got sea sick in 2016. Glad it ended when it did or I would've spewed. 

Disclaimer - I get motion sickness pretty easy though.

Pretty rough out there today with much the same for tomorrow. Looks like a solid head wind on the bike as well. 

A863AAE0-DFAD-4A4F-A81A-BC21D338EB63.jpeg

16 minutes ago, truck said:

Pretty rough out there today with much the same for tomorrow. Looks like a solid head wind on the bike as well. 

A863AAE0-DFAD-4A4F-A81A-BC21D338EB63.jpeg

Which means a great tail wind at some point.

There is a rumor going around that I can't substantiate That John Hill from The Fast gear tent actually smiled!. I believe this to be a total fabrication. 😀

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

There is a rumor going around that I can't substantiate That John Hill from The Fast gear tent actually smiled!. I believe this to be a total fabrication. 😀

Yep. He smiled at me as we crossed paths this morning.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Glad it ended when it did or I would've spewed.

2014 I spewed four times in the swim. Not sure if it was the wave motion or swallowing a few mouthfuls in the chop.

(Not complaing or looking for kudos - just reminded me of good times :-))

That year it looked really bad on the Saturday but calmed a bit for Sunday; hopefuly it improves a bit this year too. Good luck for the race!

2 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

At Port, John was the only person on the run course who said Go Tranny. Ok ok, his actual words were “Get running Transitions” (as he read my bum bib while running past.) 🙄

Best of luck everyone that's doing either the full or half.

My mate "Les" from Transitions is racing again tomorrow. He has come back from a leg injury sustained in Port a few years ago. A very big long and hard hall back, including losing a keg load of weight.

Stay safe and well out there. Also, those volunteering - have a great race time :wink1:

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 2

They are struggling for volunteers tomorrow. So if u want to give back to the sport & help out your friends / fellow athletes. 

There is a lot more to volunteering than just handing out bottles. It’s a fun a rewarding day. They have a lot first time volunteers this year & would appreciate some experienced athletes helping out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

They are struggling for volunteers tomorrow. So if u want to give back to the sport & help out your friends / fellow athletes. 

There is a lot more to volunteering than just handing out bottles. It’s a fun a rewarding day. They have a lot first time volunteers this year & would appreciate some experienced athletes helping out 

I'd heard they're short because someone pulled the pin on sorting the gear bags and helping at an aid station so they could race instead. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'd heard they're short because someone pulled the pin on sorting the gear bags and helping at an aid station so they could race instead. 

F21E3D66-7255-4487-9598-D44339A3CD0C.jpegI will be volunteering with my wife & daughter for the first time tomorrow.

We will be on the aid station by the big tree near transition.

• Like 3

To everyone racing - good luck, have a blast & we look forward to reading your race reports

• Like 1

Good luck all you racers. First time I’ve missed Cairns in the last 6 years. Sigh 😔 

• Sad 1

Ch 7 have been doing the weather crosses from there this morning. Good to see the race is getting some air time on free to air tv. Weather looks amazing

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Are swim times slow?

Don't think so. A few people I know are doing their normal times. One friend who is doing her first IM usually swims 55 for a half and she has done 1.32 . I spoke to her on Monday and she was hoping for just under 2 hrs.

• Like 1

Unfortunately just heard one of the competitors has collapsed on the cycle near the airport. 

Ambos working on him. 

Hope all goes well 

• Like 1

AP at 86 managed a 1.15 swim leg. Amazing. 

• Haha 1

Pretty exciting race on the pro side.  Women- looks like true is gone, and Adam and Sali are closing on Crowley.  Currie has smashed them but van berkel is hauling back a big deficit - could get second.  Would that get him to Kona ?

Just watching a bit of the T2 exit camera. Poor girl trying to use the loos there, tried two doors, obviously already occupied but people didnt lock the doors :)

20 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Just watching a bit of the T2 exit camera. Poor girl trying to use the loos there, tried two doors, obviously already occupied but people didnt lock the doors :)

I’m there. I’m wearing the plain black cap. 

1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

Pretty exciting race on the pro side.  Women- looks like true is gone, and Adam and Sali are closing on Crowley.  Currie has smashed them but van berkel is hauling back a big deficit - could get second.  Would that get him to Kona ?

Top 3. But mike Phillips has a spot.  Those guys seem to be racing for money not kona spots first. 

I’m off to work a pedestrian crossing. Apparently they need someone who is loud & dosent mind yelling at ppl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Luke Bell. Dnf. 

Crashed. Broken left leg. 

• Sad 1

No sponsors for the female winner? Plain black trisuit? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

AP showing as Dnf hope he’s okay 

I notice that his results disappeared from all of the splits