hacq1

Cairns IM 2019 who's in??

3 hours ago, pieman said:

So no kona this year?  Because if you did want to go you probably could have walked and still got your slot? 

Yeah was just wondering the same thing?? 

Is there a Plan B Al? 

3 minutes ago, roxii said:

Is there a Plan B Al? 

Isn't next year the big one for him, when he goes up an AG?

27 minutes ago, roxii said:

Is there a Plan B Al? 

No not this year - I could have walked it but that's not an Ironman - I had enough lead to get in - the tough swim and the wind got rid of a few competitors - there were five in the cat and only one finished - it's good really - it's his year - it was his first Ironman at 70yrs and he scores a start in Kona (he doesn't know what he's in for)

I have missed a few other years along the way - I'll do something else this year 🍓

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Peter said:

Its the sport is dying. Thats

If it is dying, when did it peak in Australia?

2 minutes ago, zed said:

If it is dying, when did it peak in Australia?

The sport seems to be doing ok. Are the numbers racing the full Ironman increasing or decreasing?

14 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

The sport seems to be doing ok. Are the numbers racing the full Ironman increasing or decreasing?

For IMWA, pretty consistent

2006 - 800

2009 - 1124

2011 - 1250

2015 - 1200

2017 - 1460

2018 - 1150

note for 2017/18 you had 700+ 70.3 athletes, so numbers racing that day were over 2000. I would say number steadily rose and have remained consistent.

Edited by zed

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

About 2006-2013

Maybe in Sydney...

Edited by zed

Port:  IM         70.3

2019   1400   1232

2018   1200   1098

2017   1132   985

13 minutes ago, Stikman said:

State memberships by the numbers:

image.thumb.png.87687a8d4a1c21c96d8d4e0b843e74c0.png

get the data for 2006 to 2010.

Keep in mind membership isn't the best gauge.  So many used to do an Ironman and leave.  As in one and done.

To really know, you need to compare state memberships for when I believe it was a bigger spot,

and also get the numbers for Ironmans back in 2006-2010

I'll leave that with you for homework.  FYI  Dont forget Ironman Melbourne. 

so why are IMs not selling out in 5 mins anymore? Have they just opened up more spots or are people not concerned that they'll miss out anymore

a peak of only 21,000 members nationwide? Wow, I'm genuinely shocked.  

Must be a boat load of one day memberships getting around for people who do 3 or less races a year.  

Just now, Turts said:

Must be a boat load of one day memberships getting around for people who do 3 or less races a year.  

I haven’t been a member since 2009. One day memebership when is forced to. 

There is no value in me joining tri Australia 

4 minutes ago, Turts said:

and why not? what is the value in joining? 

You can do a lot of races on one day licences before you get near the cost of membership...

2 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I've never been a member, I dont understand the point of it...

4 minutes ago, pieman said:

Using TriQLD (First AGM minutes google bought up)

You are paying for wages. If it wasnt for government grants, they wouldnt exist it's run so badly.

image.png.0be7851796255b6abcf29ba5d75bd0d4.png

9 minutes ago, Turts said:

Apparently the 3 race annual maximum only counts for "club sanctioned" races and not "open sanctioned" (like Elite Energy, Ironman, Hills, etc). So if I was to not be a member I could do all of the Hills races for the season on ODMs and that would be no issue, but if I was to try the same at PTC where the races are club sanctioned, then I would be encouraged to join TA.

We found out when TriNSW were trying to get our race entry lists. We sent one list over (as we were told to do), but then someone confirmed as we run open sanctioned we do not have to do anything! 😁 

15 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

11 minutes ago, pieman said:

and why not? what is the value in joining? 

You can do a lot of races on one day licences before you get near the cost of membership...

Fair enough.  Each to their own.  I think I did the maths once (a while ago) and for me it was 3 races and worth it.  I only do the longer stuff. 

Right now, I TO, and although the pay is rubbish and I drive 12 hrs (plus accommodation) to get $50 for a race, this year I will get discounted membership.

Being a TO isn't financially a gain for me. 

Volunteering at events isn't a financial gain. 

And being a member of TA isn't financially worth it as a direct benefit. 

But I'm still a member.   For me, it's a part of giving back to the sport. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Apparently the 3 race annual maximum only counts for "club sanctioned" races and not "open sanctioned" (like Elite Energy, Ironman, Hills, etc). So if I was to not be a member I could do all of the Hills races for the season on ODMs and that would be no issue, but if I was to try the same at PTC where the races are club sanctioned, then I would be encouraged to join TA.

We found out when TriNSW were trying to get our race entry lists. We sent one list over (as we were told to do), but then someone confirmed as we run open sanctioned we do not have to do anything! 😁 

coincidental number - sorry, I just did some maths a while ago and worked out 3 races of one day memberships V annual membership was about the same. 

I only do long stuff - none of the club level stuff. 

10 minutes ago, Turts said:

Volunteering at events isn't a financial gain. 

Voluntering for me is more about giving back to the athelete rather than the sport. Anyone can hand out water bottles.  Having expereinced athletes volunteering in T1 & T2 makes a big difference to the athlete.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

Using TriQLD (First AGM minutes google bought up)

You are paying for wages. If it wasnt for government grants, they wouldnt exist it's run so badly.

image.png.0be7851796255b6abcf29ba5d75bd0d4.png

Gee, Queensland are doing alright.  TWA had over half a million coming from grants and still made an almost $70k loss!  Their biggest source of income is race entries but they'd be better off without them as it probably contributed half of that loss.

Can't wait for the 2018/19 numbers.  👨‍🍳📕

9 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Voluntering for me is more about giving back to the athelete rather than the sport. Anyone can hand out water bottles.  Having expereinced athletes volunteering in T1 & T2 makes a big difference to the athlete.

Sure, thats a good point. 

And a positive experience may well just keep that athlete coming back for more. 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Ditto. Haven't been a member for a a few years. As far as Ironman branded races in Australia go, numbers are on the rise or have at least stabilised. 

I continue to join TA every year (automatically) because I have too much money and don't know what to do with it

I probably should have used pink font.....

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, -H- said:

I continue to join TA every year (automatically) because I have too much money and don't know what to do with it

I probably should have used pink font.....

Yeah we knew you were joshing. Ain't no triathletes with too much money! 

3 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah we knew you were joshing. Ain't no triathletes with too much money! 

WHAT?!?  Oh bugger!  I thought this site was the equivalent of Toffee dating...

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, zed said:

2019   1400   1232

2018   1200   1098

2017   1132   985

Dying? Not!

8 hours ago, zed said:

2019   1400   1232

2018   1200   1098

2017   1132   985

7 hours ago, Peter said:

and also get the numbers for Ironmans back in 2006-2010

2005 - 1619

2006 - 1580

2007 - 1619

2008 - 1543

2009 - 1400

2010 - 1482

So it appears numbers are only just coming back up to where they were 10 to 15 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Stikman said:

I find it interesting that WA didn't get the sugar hit that most other states got from 12/13 to 13/14.

You could have a stats field day making up "relevant" numbers from that table though eg QLD 300% growth in membership over 7 seasons.

20 hours ago, zed said:

2019   1400   1232

2018   1200   1098

2017   1132   985

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

2005 - 1619

2006 - 1580

2007 - 1619

2008 - 1543

2009 - 1400

2010 - 1482

So it appears numbers are only just coming back up to where they were 10 to 15 years ago.

11 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Dying? Not!

Well that data above says that the 1600 or high 1500 we are not near that other than the one year (this year) it is way lower.

300-350 less people at $900 an entry is a shit load of money.

On 10/06/2019 at 2:09 PM, Aidan said:

12 slots M4549, first 3 didn’t take slots

9 slots M3539, rolled to 10th (9.50)

Anyone know what M40-44 rolled down to?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Well that data above says that the 1600 or high 1500 we are not near that other than the one year (this year) it is way lower.

300-350 less people at $900 an entry is a shit load of money.

Lets not forget the athletes racing the 70.3 on the same day sonny Jim!

IM    70.3

2007  1619  611

2019  1401  1232

2200 people racing in 2007 vs 2600 people racing in 2019..... 600 more 70.3 athletes at $400 an entry is a shit load of money!

1 hour ago, zed said:

Lets not forget the athletes racing the 70.3 on the same day sonny Jim!

IM    70.3

2007  1619  611

2019  1401  1232

2200 people racing in 2007 vs 2600 people racing in 2019..... 600 more 70.3 athletes at $400 an entry is a shit load of money!

okay then add in the 1800 doing Ironman melb too

But the 70.3 on the same day is a different race. If the 70.3 was run a month later or early the numbers would be the same.

Anyway, we arent going to agree.  so I'll just let you win.

Edited by Peter

26 minutes ago, Peter said:

Anyway, we arent going to agree.  so I'll just let you win.

Lets call it a draw?

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 1:55 PM, pieman said:

so why are IMs not selling out in 5 mins anymore? Have they just opened up more spots or are people not concerned that they'll miss out anymore

Because there is more than 1 in Australia and more than a dozen worldwide when that was occurring.

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 1:31 PM, Stikman said:

Interesting data. Am surprise membership was so high. I have just joined a club this year for the first time since 1996/7. And I have raced every year since. I just Did Nepean and then Ironman. Trained with mates.... did not need TA

11 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Because there is more than 1 in Australia and more than a dozen worldwide when that was occurring.

IMWA was selling out in minutes when I did my second back in 2013.  I think Cairns was probably the only Ironman that didn't sell out that year.  There were 4 races in Australia (plus NZ close) and more than 25 worldwide.

Ask professional coaches, clubs and race directors.  The sport is on a big downward curve, not just long course but at all levels.  Poor administration and complacency have a lot to do with it.  The biggest age group at each event has just been gradually shifting up too, we're not getting the new blood coming in.

31 minutes ago, Stikman said:

IMWA was selling out in minutes when I did my second back in 2013.  I think Cairns was probably the only Ironman that didn't sell out that year.  There were 4 races in Australia (plus NZ close) and more than 25 worldwide.

Ask professional coaches, clubs and race directors.  The sport is on a big downward curve, not just long course but at all levels.  Poor administration and complacency have a lot to do with it.  The biggest age group at each event has just been gradually shifting up too, we're not getting the new blood coming in.

The weird thing is, over here IM Wales which has a 'certain reputation' :whistling: is selling out faster than ever.

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

The weird thing is, over here IM Wales which has a 'certain reputation' :whistling: is selling out faster than ever.

Seeing the YouTube clips of that race make me want to start racing again. The singing before race start would make it a special event. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Seeing the YouTube clips of that race make me want to start racing again. The singing before race start would make it a special event. 

It is indeed special. I'm both glad and sad I'm not doing it this year. I thought I'd do Lanza next (if I ever do another) but am genuinely scared of that swim start :surrender:

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

It is indeed special. I'm both glad and sad I'm not doing it this year. I thought I'd do Lanza next (if I ever do another) but am genuinely scared of that swim start :surrender:

Just start at the back - count ten seconds after the gun goes off - if you're not a sub 60min swimmer you don't need to be in the fight for position

It would take more than singing at the start line to get me signing up for a sub 15C swim - I don't like cold water 

1 hour ago, AP said:

It would take more than singing at the start line to get me signing up for a sub 15C swim - I don't like cold water 

You didnt really need to mention the 15c water temps.  Its also not in Australia or Hawaii, so we all knew you wouldnt do it.

Image result for doing the same thing and expecting different results quote

2 hours ago, AP said:

Ironman Australia is bad enough for weather...... the Swim temp is Ok.... but it always a cool weekend up there. Very rare do I get around in a T-Shirt like the good old days of Forster.

Yep. Port in May is 3-4 weeks too late. If they were clever and could work between Easter and School Holidays (which was what Forster used to do.....they could get 7 weeks between NZS and OZ races and 7 weeks between OZ and Cairns. Maybe get a few more people doing both.

• Like 1