hacq1

Cairns IM 2019 who's in??

So do we know what happened to AP?

3 minutes ago, AA7 said:

His daughter finished under the 13hour limit... 

33 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I am sure he will get on here and post a image or MEME of something totally lame.

He did a 1:15 swim and a 6:15 bike which even I'll admit is very impressive at 84 years old

But guess he just didn't have the desire to tough it out and finish the event.

Maybe having other people in his age group put him off.

Maybe he forgot to take his worming tablets.

Maybe his time is just done at Long course triathlons.

Edited by Peter
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Peter said:

I am sure he will get on here and post a image or MEME of something totally lame.

He did a 1:15 swim and a 6:15 bike which even I'll admit is very impressive at 84 years old

But guess he just didn't have the desire to tough it out and finish the event.

Maybe having other people in his age group put him off.

Maybe he forgot to take his worming tablets.

Maybe his time is just done at Long course triathlons.

Maybe he needs to take a look at his daily and weekly workload across his training, coaching and "working on the tools." We all admire his desire to stay young, but Mother Nature eventually catches up with you and something has to give. 

28 minutes ago, pieman said:

Any word from Roll down?

12 slots M4549, first 3 didn’t take slots

9 slots M3539, rolled to 10th (9.50)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Roll downs went a fair way in 40-50 male age groups. I think 15th would have gotten you a slot in both age groups. 

Edited by Bosco
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Katz said:

Why was it a 16:30 cutoff? Is it always at Cairns?

Not too sure. The website says 17 hours but Les told me it was 16:30. I am unsure whether it is always 16:30 or just this year.

Getting taken off the course at 32 kms is a bit heart breaking. He really suffered on the bike which transferred into the run. This morning he said he had the IM legs (i.e. - ratshit muscles) without the hardware. I feel terrible for him but extremely proud.

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Roll downs went a fair way in 40-50 male age groups. I think 15th would have gotten you a slot in both age groups. 

Serious?? wow.

5 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

still had to go sub 10

ha ha yeah just saw that

Just now, Lostkiwi said:

Is that a normal amount of slots in those age groups for cairns? 

Think they had 80, which is normal for Cairns.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

12 minutes ago, Lostkiwi said:

Is that a normal amount of slots in those age groups for cairns? 

In Cairns 2012 there were only 3 slots in M45-49...  4th place (still under 10 hours from memory) missed out.

Identify as female and 11.03 in 45-49 would be the second spot..

6 hours ago, Aidan said:

3 slots M2529, rolled to 4th

19 hours ago, AA7 said:

Sometimes you're the tiger,  and sometimes you're the flea..

• Haha 4

Heard Kona was a wave start and said not for this tiger.

gut issue from eating jelly 

maybe just had an off day with health

45 minutes ago, pieman said:

Sometimes you're the tiger,  and sometimes you're the flea..

Sometimes you think you’re a tiger but.....

0A253AF0-8943-4958-ADD6-4DCBA6B4192F.jpeg

I hope he doesnt stay away fro 2 years like IP did after his poor performance..

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, pieman said:

The difference between good athletes and bad ones is the bad one make excuses.

That is one thing IP didn't do after his disaster of taking the 6.5 days to run a double marathon.  Zero excuses.

I said it on the day, AP swam fast and rode like the wind.  I am guessing given his ride time he never planned on starting the run leg.  He was over 30km in front of second place off the bike in his division. He could have walked it in and still probably won. 

Edited by Peter

4 hours ago, pieman said:

Wouldn't blame him with the amount of shit the usual parties seem to keep rolling on him.  Deserved or not, some people need to take a damn hard look at why the numbers on this forum keep dropping off and the regulars don't seem to stick around.

Rant over, happy to continue in the WTF thread that Goughy started in the Sandbox, pretty sure this behaviour is what was referred to

• Like 2

Quick question - maybe its an inside joke or something, but why is everyone giving AP a mouthfull? He just toed the line, put this best effort forward. Cant ask anymore then that. If he didnt finish, who cares. Lots of others didnt.

He has strong opinions, and comes across as an arse sometimes, but why tear someone down who, by the looks of it, has had a rough day. 

It all reads as a bit vindictive. Just support each other. Triathlon needs 

24 minutes ago, Lost in transition said:

Quick question - maybe its an inside joke or something, but why is everyone giving AP a mouthfull? He just toed the line, put this best effort forward. Cant ask anymore then that. If he didnt finish, who cares. Lots of others didnt.

He has strong opinions, and comes across as an arse sometimes, but why tear someone down who, by the looks of it, has had a rough day. 

It all reads as a bit vindictive. Just support each other. Triathlon needs 

Because he gave it to me after Ironman Chattanooga. He also does the same to others. This is AP getting some of his own medicine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

Wouldn't blame him with the amount of shit the usual parties seem to keep rolling on him.  Deserved or not, some people need to take a damn hard look at why the numbers on this forum keep dropping off and the regulars don't seem to stick around.

Rant over, happy to continue in the WTF thread that Goughy started in the Sandbox, pretty sure this behaviour is what was referred to

Cry me a farking river.  The numbers aren't dropping because of any reason you say.  Its the sport is dying. Thats another total thread but look how many races have disappeared in Australia.  In Sydney other than penrith they dont even run races. The 2xu in melb is dead.  XO size a few years before that. And then there was the other series.  All gone. And when did you even last do 5-6 races in a season?  You are a worse offender. You don't even do the sport anymore.

30 minutes ago, Lost in transition said:

AP fully laid into Bored@ after his failure in some race in the states. 

And he gives it as good as he takes it.  Iif he suffers taking it, well tough sh1t.

Fark me he gave it to me after my failure in Kona.  has done for 9 years. 

Unlike Ex who does the same thing, but I know he is just taking the piss.  AP actually believes it.

Edited by Peter

Well done to everyone. There are impressive stories here.

Nice work with the volunteering Bored, it's a long day out but bloody rewarding to give back.

6 hours ago, Peter said:

I said it on the day, AP swam fast and rode like the wind.  I am guessing given his ride time he never planned on starting the run leg.  He was over 30km in front of second place off the bike in his division. He could have walked it in and still probably won. 

I haven't run for about 5-6 weeks - had a sore knee - it's been improving but was just not right to run - not much point in walking 42km - I'm not about to run through the pain - I walked off the course at 1km - still got it - just not going to waste it - go for it fleas 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

And he gives it as good as he takes it.  

I think it's water off a ducks back for AP. 

3 minutes ago, AP said:

I haven't run for about 5-6 weeks - had a sore knee - it's been improving but was just not right to run - not much point in walking 42km - I'm not about to run through the pain - I walked off the course at 1km - still got it - just not going to waste it - go for it fleas 😎

Taking all the ribbing aside, which you probably expected, do you think DNS or DNF is better in a circumstance where you know the body is not going to hold up?

I know from own experience how hard it is to not be able to do it on the day due to poor luck with injury or sickness, it's not great. When I did and DNS as opposed to a DNF (no choice i got an ambulance) I felt more focussed with a DNS, as in get healthy what's next rather than lamenting what might have been with 18 k to go

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

This has never been a high volume or numbers forum, so differences between people are more stark. Triathlon isn't exactly killing it either.

Most people who did this when I started stopped a long time ago. There are the hard core who will never give up, but you go to races and work out you don't know anyone, it costs a lot, to do, get there and equip for.

People do park runs for zero, ride bikes for close to zero. There is something changed or missing in the sport. People like AP even if he does divide are good for the sport, though when you dividedyou have to expect some banter back.

32 minutes ago, Peter said:

Unlike Ex who does the same thing, but I know he is just taking the piss. 

:P:P

I walked out of the Energy Lab, so it beat me too. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Its the sport is dying. T

Lies, damn lies and statistics. 

Disagree with you there chief. The sport is constantly changing. Numbers go up and down. It's easy to look at a few races that get canned and say the sport is dying. The small races are often run at a loss and they do it tough. Sufferfest have just dropped the Rottnest races which is a shame. Awesome place to race, just very poorly attended. But then they have a sprint on in Perth the following week and it's full. You could argue that IMWA numbers are low, 1200 in 2018, but then there's now a 70.3 same day, so you have 2000 people racing. Buss 70.3 in May has been hit hard, really bad luck, swim canned in 2017 for some waves, dec 2017 swim canned, may 2018 swim canned and this year weather was terrible.... putting off more people. Many had to be pulled out the water. They are now moving the race to March. 

It's also a sport that has a high rate of attrition, I played rugby for 30 seasons straight, many of my mates did the same thing. 3 - 4 years seems to be the average time a triathlete spends in the sport. So numbers will always ebb and flow.Crossfit, F45, tough mudder took a few numbers, but they seem to be dead or dying now. Triathlon/Ironman will always be the holy grail when it comes to endurance sports.

Yeah, it's really carking it here in Queensland.  This season: 4 Bribie Races; 7 QTS races; 2 kingscliff races; 2 IM branded events - Noosa & Moo;  Harvey Bay 100; HOTW, Tweed Enduro, Moo half (IM); 2 events in Townsville and Magnetic Island; a couple of smaller events around Cairns.  Double tri at Rainbow Beach, Gold Coast Sprint; Morton Bay Tri.  I might have missed a few.  Yep, definitely a dying sport....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Yeah, it's really carking it here in Queensland.  This season: 4 Bribie Races; 7 QTS races; 2 kingscliff races; 2 IM branded events - Noosa & Moo;  Harvey Bay 100; HOTW, Tweed Enduro, Moo half (IM); 2 events in Townsville and Magnetic Island; a couple of smaller events around Cairns.  Double tri at Rainbow Beach, Gold Coast Sprint; Morton Bay Tri.  I might have missed a few.  Yep, definitely a dying sport....

I thought you were serious for a moment and was wondering what you were talking about! That's loads compared to WA. LOL

2 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

That seems like a lot of races

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

This has never been a high volume or numbers forum, so differences between people are more stark. Triathlon isn't exactly killing it either.

Most people who did this when I started stopped a long time ago. There are the hard core who will never give up, but you go to races and work out you don't know anyone, it costs a lot, to do, get there and equip for.

People do park runs for zero, ride bikes for close to zero. There is something changed or missing in the sport. People like AP even if he does divide are good for the sport, though when you dividedyou have to expect some banter back.

I like multisport but am not welded at the hip to triathlon or IM, although I do like the tri community. 

The argument about barriers to the sport can be valid but for me, it's not about equipment, I have all the equipment I need and then some. I think what is definitely changing for me, is the thought process surrounded replacing the TT bike (or even road bike) when the time comes. That's a much tougher nut to crack and to justify.

I have a young daughter and she is adventurous and loves to run, ride and surf. I can see a time in the future where I am accommodating her needs, more than mine when it comes to sport and adventures  (we are looking at campervans etc).

I thought I would really miss doing IM Wales again this year but have found that concentrating on trail running and getting into XC mtb has been refreshing. I think about the hotel costs for IM, the logistics of training (esp pool) and the effort, for what?  To knock another 20mins off of my time?  It just doesn't seem worth it.

I think i'm a die hard multisporter but just happy to fit in IM or HIM when it suits my life. This year it doesn't, next year, who knows. 

I know I'm becoming more interested in the 'what/where and how much fun', rather than 'same old course, how much did I improve by'.  I've become variety focused, not specifity focused.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Katz said:

I thought you were serious for a moment and was wondering what you were talking about! That's loads compared to WA. LOL

WA has a pretty full calendar 9 ODs, 30 sprints/enticers, 3 IM branded races plus loads of smaller races not advertised on their race calendar

TWA+Online+calendar+18-19.140219 (1).pdf

Now take out those races that are for special interest groups (women only, police, juniors, etc.) and where you'd need overnight accommodation if you live in Perth.  You'll find it quite a bit less full.

3 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Airlie Beach, Mackay, Agnes Water, Julia Creek, St George, Mt Isa are some of the regional ones too.

Our local club has just added a 3 race winter duathlon series to the 7 race summer triathlon series, much to the Mrs delight as she does not swim.

I'd like to see a local off-road tri.  There used to be one at Lake Keepit near Gunnedah several yrs ago & I know the bloke who is the driving force in our tri club is keen for one.

15 hours ago, AP said:

So no kona this year?  Because if you did want to go you probably could have walked and still got your slot?