Sign in to follow this  
Toolish

Clip in or flats?

Our club is doing an off road duathlon this weekend. I have not ridden a MTB in years but have borrowed one from a mate for the day.

I am not going to be very quick, but I was wondering if I should run flat pedals or put road pedals on? Is a 2/15/2 duathlon.

Thoughts?

Good question. I asked similar earlier and was told clip in.

However for a duathlon there is a case for flat shoes that you could run in.

Do you have MTB shoes, or thinking of using road bike shoes. I would not do that.

I did a 52 km almost all single track race last year. The amount of times I had to unclip

and walk or run was ridiculous. I saw guys with flat pedals, flat shoes and with a lowered seat,

and they went ok. I will go with flat pedals and shoes this year.

So my answer is stay with the flats and save some time in Transition.

• Like 1

Kamal is spot on. Go with flats and possibly loose (very loose) toe clips this weekend. Then consider MTB shoes and pedals later when you are used to it and more confident.

Speed wise, for a 2/15/2 duathlon I'd definitely only wear running shoes anyway, regardless of how confident I was on the bike. My preference is for loose toe clips just to stop my foot sliding forwards or sideways and maybe a little assistance with pulling up on the pedal.

Note - The first 2km run will be 'fast' so warm up and get ready to sprint!

(Then pass the others in transition while they're putting their MTB shoes and makeup on).

Good luck with your race, enjoy it!

flats with or without toe clips? With toe clips and running shoes the difference would be minimal. If you are considering flat pedals with pins and no toe clips (as many all mountain riders use) they take a while to get used to. Different foot position and different pedalling technique. Great for developing skills though!

I would go without toe clips over the 15 k.

Additional trouble and could actually be big trouble if your foot got stuck.

Flats, no clips, you can put your foot down as needed.

Flat platform pedals with pins only (no toe clips). My experience, which is minimal, was that if you couldn't get your foot in they would hang upside down while pedalling and collect rocks an sticks etc. more hassle than it's worth in a race.

I did the 'Dirty Duathlon' series in the You Yangs this winter (major fun btw). First two races I did with flats and my trail shoes - made up significant time in transition (especially in the enduro format race). Last race i used clipless. Only marginal increase in average speed - that would have then been lost in transition.

Ultimately riding flats or clips (or swapping between them depending on terrain) is a personal decision based on comfort and confidence. That said, not sure I would be using road pedals.

Edited by johnboy

For most Duathlon and off road tris you can get away with tri shoes and road pedals. They just are nto techy enough. Challening courses will reward clips

Edited by thekeeper

Yes toe clips are just a liability offroad. Flats or proper clip in pedals.

I use eggbeaters. easiest entry offroad pedal around. They're 4 sided.