dazmuzza

Sun-top suitable for swimming training?

Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster - hopefully I haven't broken any forum rules by posting this....

Just about to kick off my training for the tri season with the aim of doing my first ironman sometime next year so I'm getting my gear together.

I'm trying to get recommendations on some kind of SPF 'swim top' for a man. I'd like to do a few lunchtime base-building swims at my work, and don't really fancy lathering up on sunscreen for a 20 minute swim and after something functional that will not be too much of an impedance in the water. Nor do I really want to bring my tri suit to work.

I've been looking at what speedo offer in terms of 'sun tops' (see here for example) - but these seem to be like tops you'd wear doing water sports rather than something you train in.

Has anyone used a sun top while training and can make any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance,

Daz

Seriously for 20 minutes in the water I don't think you are going to get either burned or increase your skin cancer risk. A longer middle of the day session, sure, but 20 minutes is not very long. Indeed, I'm not sure that I could be bothered going to the pool, getting changed, wet, dry, changed and back to work for just 20min in the water.

Alternatively put on something saggy baggy and treat the sessions as resistance work.

Or get some spray on stuff, no need to get all messy. Our go-to is Nivea SPF50.

And welcome to the madhouse.

Seriously for 20 minutes in the water I don't think you are going to get either burned or increase your skin cancer risk.

He could be a pasty skinned ranga? 20 minutes in the WA sun would cook him real good.

• Like 1

I used to swim in a rashy. I am that pasty type plus have had a number of real nasties cut out. Make sure the rashy is a little tight as they get baggy when wet. I also liked them as you have to work harder with the drag effect.

FM

Agree with tortoise....... Not sure of your skin type, but for most people 20 mins in the sun is a good thing. Just don't over do it..:)

Besides, if you plan on doing ironman... make sure you get some sun.... you are out there for a long time.......some days are sunny or you burn heaps....some days are not so sunny, but the UV gets you anyway. Sometimes you see people burnt to the max and you think...what were they thinking.

​Thanks all for the tips folks I'll look into some of them - looks like a rashy is the way to go.

He could be a pasty skinned ranga? 20 minutes in the WA sun would cook him real good.

Pretty much this - I burn easily - and 20-30mins exposure each day of the week would probably not be good for minimising skin cancer risk. If it was a covered pool, I wouldn't worry so much, but its not - and there is little shade...and will be doing it at lunchtimes.

I guess the 'slip slop slap' message drilled into to me since childhood has really stuck :)

Sorry Ironnerd, I did do a forum search but must have missed that one

I swim at lunch once a week and use a rashy and cream (on the bits the rashy doesn't cover). 30min in the sun at noon without a rashy? Take a look at the UV at that time of the day (http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/realtime/syd_rt.htm), especially in summer.

Get an SPF rated rashy but don't spend too much. Chlorine just eats lycra. Wash the rashy (in a machine with detergent) after every swim, it seems to prolong their life.

Edit - I just get a 'small' off ebay. It's really, really tight but works a treat. You don't feel as if you're swimming in a tent.

Edited by TimG

Seriously for 20 minutes in the water I don't think you are going to get either burned or increase your skin cancer risk. Â A longer middle of the day session, sure, but 20 minutes is not very long. Â Indeed, I'm not sure that I could be bothered going to the pool, getting changed, wet, dry, changed and back to work for just 20min in the water. Â

Â

Alternatively put on something saggy baggy and treat the sessions as resistance work. Â

Â

Or get some spray on stuff, no need to get all messy. Our go-to is Nivea SPF50.Â

Â

And welcome to the madhouse.Â

20mins is still 20mins of swimming that would be better than none