slipperysmurf

Locations around inner Melbourne to train?

Hi everyone,

Me and my mate have been riding along Yarra Boulevard for quite some time. Looking for a few suggestions as to where we can train with minimum road traffic and relatively flat terrain.

Thanks.

Slippery

Hard to go past Beach Rd if you want flat. There is a reason so many people ride there.

Might be some flat road out West, but I don't know that area very well.

Hi everyone,

Me and my mate have been riding along Yarra Boulevard for quite some time. Looking for a few suggestions as to where we can train with minimum road traffic and relatively flat terrain.

Thanks.

Slippery

Shepparton or Wangaratta

Why do want flat?

I mostly ride on the flat (Beach Rd), although I'd prefer to ride the hills, extra overhead and risk (in Melbourne) of getting to them means don't really ride them much. BR to Mordiallic or Sorrento is a big day, and gets into to some smaller hills.

Some options out west e.g. You Yangs, or ride to Geelong to watch the Bay Crits or Bunninyong to watch the Nationals. Best ride near Melbourne I reckon is Mt Donna Buang from Launching Place up old Don Rd, no cars but a real hill (1000m). Requires a car or train trip to get to Lilydale or Launching Place. Some are fans of in and around Mt Dandenong but to me seems lots of cars unless early bird or a drive and just more overhead.

Ride the boulie to Chandler Hwy (northern end), turn left over the river, then right at Heidelberg Rd and head for Eltham and beyond.

I haven't seen a magpie on beach road yet, there's several on the freeway to Geelong and a zillion around the You Yangs.

I'd ride beach road for the next three weeks.

I haven't seen a magpie on beach road yet, there's several on the freeway to Geelong and a zillion around the You Yangs.

I'd ride beach road for the next three weeks.

I think you guys should be more worried about cars , not magpies

Magpies don't kill or even hurt you (unless you react like a f$ckwit) and end up under a bus

There's two along Bulban Rd and pretty aggressive.

IP, the cars are no worries. It's the magpies, dogs and sand and gravel trucks that are the problem.

In the northeast it is the birds, Roos, rabbits and wombats.

Gotta look out for those wombats!!!!

Maybe that's why I've spent over 50 hrs on the trainer in the last four weeks!!!

No wombats in the pain cave

Edited by ironpo

Guy I ride with nailed a wombat the other morning and has injured his foot. The guy is a champion cyclist (literally) and still couldn't dodge it. Apparently they wait until you are just about to reach them then they dash across your path (they can reach speeds up to 40 km/h).

Cool. I'm a bit sick of Boulebots. I have been attacked by snakes, chased by roos but have yet to encounter a live

wombat. That's on my list! Seen plenty of dead ones along Dandy. All presumably died of natural causes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by slipperysmurf

Dingley/Danedenong Bypass need road. Safe on weekends.

Head down to Frankston Dandenong Rd turn right on to this then right on Greens Road. Then head along till get to Ordish Road turn left on this and go to end turn right go over overpass and then turn left onto Woseley Road ride down there turn right onto Thompsons Rd into Patterson Lakes. Go left at round about infront of shopping centre. Go along to next RA round about and turn left along Wells Road. Ride down there till end and turn around and retrace.

Flat, sometimes can get windy. Not much traffic

Dingley/Danedenong Bypass need road. Safe on weekends.

Head down to Frankston Dandenong Rd turn right on to this then right on Greens Road. Then head along till get to Ordish Road turn left on this and go to end turn right go over overpass and then turn left onto Woseley Road ride down there turn right onto Thompsons Rd into Patterson Lakes. Go left at round about infront of shopping centre. Go along to next RA round about and turn left along Wells Road. Ride down there till end and turn around and retrace.

Flat, sometimes can get windy. Not much traffic

But are there any wombats for Slipperysmurf?

But are there any wombats for Slipperysmurf?

I got one in my backyard right now

Hope he doesn't jump in the pool with me