1. One medal, Silver. Lisa Martin.

2. Yes, the question is still open. There's an old news clip newsreel film on You Tube.

3. On PEDS, no one has really come up with an answer, except the PEDS themselves have financial

backing, and the drugs keep improving. One step ahead of the testing.

4. Since Carey's first wife comes from Wagga didn't she? I would not expect him to be well viewed

or well liked. Even now his personal life is messy.

In the absence of any prior scandals, Carey would rank above those you mentioned. Plenty of

Aussies would never had heard of Brad Kahlefeldt, despite his standing in triathlon.

Carey also had 2 arrests in the USA, where after brief detention he was let go, on condition

of leaving the country. And has subsequently been refused a visa there. After the first expose

with Andrew Stevens wife, Carey was "chilling" in Las Vegas, which tells me he was there to

have a good time and felt no remorse over the incident. Getting voted out at North Melbourne, by

the player, tells you just how much he was hated there.

Edited by Kamal2
  • Like 1

Lisa Miller, yes of course. I should have known that!

As for Wayne Carey, it shows that it just doesn't matter how 'good' you are when it comes to being a good sportsman. What matters is the way you play the game!

Plus, regardless of how good you are at AFL it's still a game that's pretty much only played in Australia. Brad Kahlefeldt got Bronze at three World Championships, a Commonwealth Gold, and represented Australia at 2 Olympic Games... Just sayin!

• Like 1

Just an update on Question 10.

10. Mate at 52, you have started to slow down, or at least there's a natural decline. Since you are still active in the sport, what goals would you outline for the future? Short term goals within 1-3 years while still racing 50-54. And long term goals 5-10 years ahead.

Assuming that I get through the 70.3 World Champs on the Sunny Coast in a couple of days’ time, and then the Cross Tri Worlds at Crackenback later this year, then I will have qualified and competed at all the popular and well recognised World Championships on the Triathlon Calendar...

World's 70.3 done and dusted... Only one to go!

Cheers Geoff. The Ten Q's was brilliant, I am a bit disappointed we did not get more views.

Question No.2 still open. Anyone?

1.How many total medals (Gold, Silver and Bronze)has Australia won in the Olympic Marathon.

2. The USA, incidentally has 13 in total. 4 Golds, 3 Silver, 6 Bronze.

The 1908 event was won by Johnny Hayes (USA) on disqualification. No look up, but you might have

to. The race winner was famously disqualified. Do you have any idea why?

Edited by Kamal2
  • Like 1

Finally got through it. Noice GE.

Yes, I had to look it up. Seems like it was a fairly significant Marathon, in the world of Marathons. Already forgotten the name of the guy who crossed first, but he received some assistance towards the end. I'm gathering he was pretty trashed. But initially went the wrong way in the stadium, but also had some help, I'm guessing, just standing up. The next day was awarded a special medal by the Queen. And the first official 26mi marathon which then became the standard.

• Like 2

It sounded a bit like I was saying you were selfish if you had a family and you still did triathlon. That's not correct, I think people should do the things they love and we all need some 'self' time to defrag from the stresses of life.

The other was in regard to some people being far too serious about the sport. This is not a reflection on the abilities of the best guys, it's more about the attitudes towards those who are just getting out there and having fun regardless of their ability.

Couldn't agree more with both of these qualifications.

A very nice read and shame I can't buy you a beer.... although if you're ever in London or Dublin, look me up.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Great read Geoff - I'm still reading, but just on this bit:

But school was brilliant, we had the coolest teacher for the last couple of years, a guy by the name of Tony Zerbst. He had a major impact on me and my love of sports as we used to spend most of our days running around the school yard playing all manner of sports from soccer to baseball to made up sports such as slog-it where you used these big timber paddle bats to belt a ball from one end of the school yard to the other in a rafferty’s rules type of game where you could throw it, kick it, tackle your opponent or whatever else you wanted to do. Either way we didn’t spend much time doing school work! Years later I read that Tony and one or two of his sons got into Triathlon in the early days and had some pretty good race results.

Tony was a triathlon legend around the Riverina in the 90s, and his son Jo went alright too. Here he is in the USA in 1996, where he came 2nd in the Oly Worlds in Cleveland and then 2 weeks later won his age group at the Long Course Worlds in Muncie, Indiana (the race Welchy won to complete his grand slam). He was a mad keen paddler, and that took over from triathlon eventually as his sport of choice. Very talented in the beer sculling area too.

14292471_10153735313866927_8257148737298

• Like 3

Thanks for the share. I hope to still be racing & traveling at 52 :)

that about sums GE up doesn't it. Races. Travels. Hasn't trained since 1997.

Lol. Or so he will have us believe ;)

• Like 1

Tony was a triathlon legend around the Riverina in the 90s, and his son Jo went alright too. Here he is in the USA in 1996, where he came 2nd in the Oly Worlds in Cleveland and then 2 weeks later won his age group at the Long Course Worlds in Muncie, Indiana (the race Welchy won to complete his grand slam). He was a mad keen paddler, and that took over from triathlon eventually as his sport of choice. Very talented in the beer sculling area too.

14292471_10153735313866927_8257148737298

Cheers H, great info. Yes, I knew he did well but didn't realise he was quite that good!

He was a funny bloke, but like I said, I really liked him. When he was at the school at Naradhan (1973-75 roughly) he was big on soccer and I think played for a Griffith Team which was about 100k's away. He also liked riding his road bike but we only had really rough old dirt roads back then... It didn't stop him!

PS - Is that you with him in the photo?

Races. Travels. Hasn't trained since 1997.

Lol. Or so he will have us believe ;)

Life's pretty good eh!

I do train, just not as much as you other mad buggers! :smartarse:.

PS - Is that you with him in the photo?

Um, that is Greg Welch.

Oh the other photo - yes that's me. I think I might have been a little bit tipsy there, judging by my rosy cheeks. The other chick is Mel Ashton, who was racing as an age grouper back then.

• Like 1

Haha, yeah ok maybe I was exaggerating a bit, it was late and I was a bit tired. But there have been some other pretty good sports people that would come to my mind before Wayne Carey. I guess it's an indication of how he is currently perceived by the people of Wagga Wagga (or maybe it's just me). Either way I reckon there's at least a couple of others who've achieved more.

Wagga always seem to have plenty of participants at Port.

Yeah, we've always had a fair few head up to Forster and more recently Port.

Busso, Melbourne and Cairns races coming on board split the fields up for a couple of years but Port still seems to attract the most starters.

Plenty from Wagga would agree. Geoff lawsom was pretty good too.

Wagga always seem to have plenty of participants at Port.

I think it's because all the boys and girls get around each other in the lead up to port. Most sessions are done together in the lead up to port so the vibe in the group can be pretty sureal.

• Like 1

Most sessions are done together in the lead up to port so the vibe in the group can be pretty sureal.

If I did half of the K's those guys do it would probably kill me, but yes it's pretty cool training with a group that's got a common goal.

If I did half of the K's those guys do it would probably kill me, but yes it's pretty cool training with a group that's got a common goal.

Or you would probably kill them even more come race day